Options

Does anyone else have problems pulling these days?

Comments

• Options
    MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    Justabloke wrote: »
    Me! Me! I'm single... reasonably well presented... solvent... intelligent... GOSH... non smoking... employed.... :D

:o ahem....

Was it just me or did that post have an air of desperation about it? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Midiboy wrote: »
    Was it just me or did that post have an air of desperation about it? :D

LOL....

I'm sure I don't know what you mean...
    *polishing halo*

Seriously though, I'm happy with my life on the whole but every now and again, I'll do something, go somewhere and think I wish I had someone to share this with.

I'm another person who needs their own space.

I think the last time it really got me was last november... I'd been involved with an Am-Dram production and after the final night, the company had a couple of drinks and then we all went our seperate ways... I was the only one that went home to an empty house :( and I wanted to share the moment with someone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,658
    Forum Member
    My guess is that you're looking for the wrong thing - for a start, it's unlikely (although not impossible) that you'll meet someone decent by "pulling" them on a random night out. The thing is to change your outlook. I used to have this thing about dating long-haired indie guitarists, which I managed to do for many years, despite having to prop up their egos most of the time and listen to loads of dreary moaning about why the Kaiser Chiefs have made it and they haven't blah blah. And they were mainly skint alcoholics/druggies anyway. I finally thought 'enough is enough' and met my amazing boyfriend - who works in the City, has never had long hair in his life, and is obsessed with cycles instead of guitars - about a week later. I wouldn't have looked at him a couple of years ago but he's made me happier than any of the indie guitarists - or any man - ever has.
    In summary: perhaps you're going for the wrong type of blokes?! What do you want from a man, and what is your main problem with the blokes you currently date?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's nice to read a thread like this. I'm glad I'm not on my own as I was starting to feel I was. I am 41 and find it difficult to meet any woman who are not emotionaly FUBAR. The worst place for that is the internet. I've had a few heartbreaks with women on the Internet (recently a 28 year old woman who was getting divorced and had a child. That should have rang alarm bells really but the heart is blind). When I go out socially with friends I choose not to speak to go on the 'pull'. I just think if i meet somebody I'll meet somebody, If I don't I don't. However I have been talking to a 36 year old internet woman for the last couple of months and she comes across as very centred and solvent. We are arranging to meet in February so that will be good :) We get on well and I have no expectations. I know we'll have fun. If there's no romance at least I know I have a new friend :) However my problem is I'm still hung up on the 28 Year old woman when I know that can go nowhere. I really need to cut the connection with her but I find it hard :(

Thanks Doctor Phil Hahaha
  • Options
    MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    LOL....

*polishing halo*

Seriously though, I'm happy with my life on the whole but every now and again, I'll do something, go somewhere and think I wish I had someone to share this with.

I think the last time it really got me was last november... I'd been involved with an Am-Dram production and after the final night, the company had a couple of drinks and then we all went our seperate ways... I was the only one that went home to an empty house :( and I wanted to share the moment with someone.

That's what being in a relationship is all about...sharing the experiences together. I'm sure you'll meet someone soon. It generally happens when you're not looking for it and someone just falls into your life by pure chance.
  • Options
    ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My guess is that you're looking for the wrong thing - for a start, it's unlikely (although not impossible) that you'll meet someone decent by "pulling" them on a random night out. The thing is to change your outlook. I used to have this thing about dating long-haired indie guitarists, which I managed to do for many years, despite having to prop up their egos most of the time and listen to loads of dreary moaning about why the Kaiser Chiefs have made it and they haven't blah blah. And they were mainly skint alcoholics/druggies anyway. I finally thought 'enough is enough' and met my amazing boyfriend - who works in the City, has never had long hair in his life, and is obsessed with cycles instead of guitars - about a week later. I wouldn't have looked at him a couple of years ago but he's made me happier than any of the indie guitarists - or any man - ever has.
    In summary: perhaps you're going for the wrong type of blokes?! What do you want from a man, and what is your main problem with the blokes you currently date?
    LOL This post brought back a whirl of memories!:D

Sadly I think my potential City Gent probably found someone younger and prettier a long while ago
  • Options
    stormin normstormin norm Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    LOL....

*polishing halo*

It's only really times like that when I really don't like being single, times when you really want someone to share the happy moment.

I'm now literally the only one out of all my friends who's single, well there is one other but she's off travelling next month, and I do occasionally wonder if I will ever find the right person. I hardly ever seem to meet anyone nice and if I do they are already attached
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    I have a friend, really I do, who is 36, lives and works in London, Australian, single, absolutely gorgeous, smart, funny and kind and she finds it impossible to meet men. Or men that aren't just after a one-night stand. If she, in one of the biggest and busiest cities in the world, can't meet a good bloke who bloody can? :eek:

Edit: Justabloke, what's your phone number, I'll pass it on. :D

I do online dating with one of the main sites. I'm not looking for a one night stand and I'm not married either which I believe quite a few people are. I am quite genuine but I do bypass quite a few profiles.

Obviously I can only speak as a man, from my own experience but I think it's very important what women write on their profiles. For example I hate it when they go on about loving expensive restaurants or are looking for a guy who wants to explore the world with them or is in to loads of different sports.

Some women are so attractive, rich, high flying, successful and do such amazing super exiting things they leave a lot of men trailing in the dust.

As a rule I try to avoid women with children or who live to far away. I know that sounds quite shallow but a more local single woman with no baggage is just simpler. Women with children are probably better off going out with men with children and having family outings as dates etc.

It would really be nicer to know more about the person rather than their income or status. That can put me off too when they set their requirements in a partner section to high income.

If a woman is in her late thirties or early forties and says she feels she is still twenty and gos out partying every night and loves clubs she should really set her required age range to below thirty.

It is true also that a lot of women don't bother to even reply so I also sometime just write to those that either press wink or break the ice button. Adding me to their favorites would also almost certainly make me write to them if they were my type.

Another thing is most people are in contact with a lot of others so I have to be too in case the person I am chatting to picks some one else.

Maybe your friend, if she does the online thing, should write a detailed profile and see who has actually read it. A lot of people write one message and cut and paste it to as many as possible. Don't over do the photos, people think professional pictures are a scam.

Anyway what I am trying to say is their are genuine people out their and men have problems trying to date women too.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I worry about. I have been single for so long that I don't think I'd want to share my bed, flat, food :D with anyone at the moment. Even if I am seeing someone, I feel like I have to ring them after work when all I want to do is relax and it feels like such a chore. That's when I know they are not the one for me though!

This guy was badgering me for ages to go out on a date with him and I wasn't physically attracted to him at all but he had a great personality. I finally gave in and we had a brilliant night, no silences and lots of laughs. Unfortunately he turned into a bit of a 'clinger' and wanted to be with me every hour and didn't stop ringing. Needless to say, I found that very off putting and nipped it in the bud. I need to find someone who'll give me that space.

I am very independent and like other people to be so as well. I can't stand clingy people either.

Sometimes while I'm chatting women tell stories about other dates. One guy rang up one women at seven in the morning while she was eating her breakfast and getting ready for work, just to ask her what curtains he should buy and they had only been out on one date.

If I met some one I don't think I would want to share their flat or live with them. I think it would be better to live separately but just go out with each other. Obviously ahem their may be nights where I might stay or they would stay with me but I think having your own space is pretty valuable too.

I can't see any reason why two people can't have a relationship that is serious commitment wise but casual form a practical point of view. Maybe the dating sites need a new category.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am very independent and like other people to be so as well. I can't stand clingy people either.

Sometimes while I'm chatting women tell stories about other dates. One guy rang up one women at seven in the morning while she was eating her breakfast and getting ready for work, just to ask her what curtains he should buy and they had only been out on one date.

If I met some one I don't think I would want to share their flat or live with them. I think it would be better to live separately but just go out with each other. Obviously ahem their may be nights where I might stay or they would stay with me but I think having your own space is pretty valuable too.

I can't see any reason why two people can't have a relationship that is serious commitment wise but casual form a practical point of view. Maybe the dating sites need a new category.

This is known as "Living together Apart" :)

Some of the stories I hear about the previous dates make me LOL
  • Options
    ~monkey~~monkey~ Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    PamelaL wrote: »
    I have a friend, really I do, who is 36, lives and works in London, Australian, single, absolutely gorgeous, smart, funny and kind and she finds it impossible to meet men. Or men that aren't just after a one-night stand. If she, in one of the biggest and busiest cities in the world, can't meet a good bloke who bloody can? :eek:

Edit: Justabloke, what's your phone number, I'll pass it on. :D

I was going to PM him there :(
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Single blokes may feel the same way about finding a decent girl

Or even an indecent one. :eek: :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is something that me and my friends have discussed at length (well the handful of friends that are left on the shelf like moi) and it seems that it is so hard finding a decent bloke these days. Single blokes may feel the same way about finding a decent girl but I swear the older you get, the harder it becomes to find someone genuine. Most men are either in a relationship or too immature to take a relationship further than sex.

Why take my number if you're not going to call? Why take me out for a drink when you clearly don't want me for more than one night?

Men I am interested in are never interested back and the men that I have no interest in would move heaven and earth for me.

When I was younger, I just assumed that falling in love, having kids and settling down was a given but now I'm not so sure ........ relationships don't happen for all people and maybe I'm one of them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not desperate to settle down as I love doing my own thing and having my own space but it would be nice to pull someone nice sometimes!

What does everyone else think?

I get bored of pulling these days. Meeting a girl on a night, getting to know her and then having to wake up in the morning and get to know her again, cos I cannot remember sweet f.a. about what she told me the night before. A few years ago the main aim for me to go out was to get laid, and sometimes I did not bother what by. Now I go out with a good set of mates and have a great time with them and if a find a nice lady its a bit of a bonus. I suppose another reason is I tend to go to a classier side of town compared to my younger days and it does tend to be a lot harder to pull. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I was doing my degree I stayed away from dating and just concerntrated on my studies. Now that I have finished and started to enjoy myself I had forgotten how hard it is to meet guys and I am in my 30s too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    LOL....

*polishing halo*

Know exactly what you mean. I'm a bag of contradictions myself, I love my own space but sometimes I want to share things with someone. It's tricky!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Midiboy wrote: »
    It generally happens when you're not looking for it and someone just falls into your life by pure chance.

Thats exactly how it happened for me. For years I was looking for a relationship but only seemed to meet girls who i liked but didnt like me, liked me but i didnt like them or had about 5 blokes on the go. One day i said f*ck it and forgot all about relationships and quite happily enjoyed my single life. Then a mate introduced me to my OH and we hit it off straight away. Now over 2 years later we live together and still very much in love. :)

I think Midiboy has hit the nail right on the head. If you look for a relationship most of the time you'll only meet pr*cks. But if you forget about it it'l happen when you least expect it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can relate to everything the OP says *sigh*
  • Options
    nilocniloc Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is something that me and my friends have discussed at length (well the handful of friends that are left on the shelf like moi) and it seems that it is so hard finding a decent bloke these days. Single blokes may feel the same way about finding a decent girl but I swear the older you get, the harder it becomes to find someone genuine. Most men are either in a relationship or too immature to take a relationship further than sex.

Why take my number if you're not going to call? Why take me out for a drink when you clearly don't want me for more than one night?

Men I am interested in are never interested back and the men that I have no interest in would move heaven and earth for me.

When I was younger, I just assumed that falling in love, having kids and settling down was a given but now I'm not so sure ........ relationships don't happen for all people and maybe I'm one of them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not desperate to settle down as I love doing my own thing and having my own space but it would be nice to pull someone nice sometimes!

What does everyone else think?

As a man I can say:

Been there, Doing that :cry:
  • Options
    *Liam**Liam* Posts: 4,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been with my girlfriend 18 months now. I pulled a lot before that and still catch people's interest not too badly. Im 17 btw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Liam* wrote: »
    I've been with my girlfriend 18 months now. I pulled a lot before that and still catch people's interest not too badly. Im 17 btw.

Your still a kid mate dont get too attached and 'settle down' too early. Dont mean that offencively. At 17 I wasnt even interested in having a girlfriend. There where girls who wanted to go out with me but I wanted to hang around with my mates playing football and computer games lol
  • Options
    KittyKinsKittyKins Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 23 so quite happy being single, although it would be nice to have some interest - all I get are outright mingers (sorry, but they reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally are!!) or guys who turn out to be sleazy.

I think it's because I'm comforatble around unattractive guys so my personality comes out, but attracive ones make me go :eek:

Suppose it's a confidence thing that I will grow out of :D
  • Options
    NealeNeale Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few months ago when I was less busy I went out most weekends and had quite a few problems, but a few mates have confirmed that it's just the area and that women seem less likely to laugh and give you some time of the day. But then I never was great at selling myself !.

It does get a bit annoying seeing quite a few friends in relationships though, some hugs and quite a bit of indecency would be welcome though, even if she was at the other end of the country, sure she'd be worth it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just talking to my mate about this thread. She is 21, intelligent, has a GSOH, well spoken etc but she either meets only complete pr*cks who just want sex or guys who seem nice at first but get all sleasy and slowly start turn the conversations more sexual. Bless her she's a good mate she deserves someone. But she says she's happy being single at the moment. :D
  • Options
    cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can relate to that, although not the druggy guitar type ;)

MY OH was not anything like my usual men, I wasn't even going accept his offer of a date as I had just come out of a relationship, then I thought 'Why the heck not? We can have a laugh if nothing else'. That was 11 years ago.
  • Options
    *Liam**Liam* Posts: 4,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your still a kid mate dont get too attached and 'settle down' too early. Dont mean that offencively. At 17 I wasnt even interested in having a girlfriend. There where girls who wanted to go out with me but I wanted to hang around with my mates playing football and computer games lol

Lol we have a 8 week baby so we have settled.