In what ways has Nick Grimshaw helped the Breakfast show to lower the R1 audience

jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all,
I am answering the above question for my essay.

Has anyone got any opinions on how Grimmy has helped to alienate most of Chris Moyles audience and any ways hes helped teenagers listen?

Comments

• qwerty21qwerty21 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Well we don't know if we actually has lowered the average age, although I expect he has.

The first way was by replacing Moyles in the first place- a lot of people listened to Radio 1 just for Moyles and were out of the target range because if you started listening to Moyles and 29 after 8 years you're 37- effectively they were only listening to Radio 1 for Moyles so ditching him in theory means Radio 1 will lose a ton of older listeners. Whether they'll lose younger listeners who listened to Moyles remains to be seen. Of course this has nothing to do with Grimshaw, had Greg James, Fearne or anyone taken over this phenomena would have occurred.

So what has Grimmy done?
    A lot more talking about artists who'll appeal to a young audience: 1D, Bieber, Rhianna etc
    I assume the webcam feature is meant to help to appeal to young people as it's a chance for them to speak face to face with their idols.
    Increased presence on social networks (the appointment of LMC)

However I think ultimately Cooper will be dissapointed as there will be drops in listening figures and the average age won't drop as sharply as he hopes. That's not to say I think Grimshaw is doing a bad job- I think he's doing well and improving all the time and no one at the station who could realistically be appointed could do a better job. (Coxy and Mills won't get the job as they're deemed too old) Whoever followed Moyles had a poisoned chalice- it's why I expected someone like Scott Mills to take over in the short term (4-8 months) and ride the storm of anger from Moyles fans and inevitable drops in listening figures and during this period prep Grimmy. I hope they give him time...
  • 19921992 Posts: 4,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am 20 listened to the Chris Moyles Show and I now listen to Grimmy when I get up early. I really like it Call or Delete is brilliant! Look forward to it every Wednesday and Showquizness is always a good laugh! and the rest of the show is good aswell :)

Just as good if not better than the CMS Imo.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,822
    Forum Member
    Not sure about lowering the age but I bet when his first set of RAJARs come out he will certainly have lowered the audience.
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont listen anymore- everytime i put it on its always a really loud song-so i now wake up with magic

But, I listen for Nicks Tape as it reminds me of the golden hour years

I reckon what Greg James would be like on Breakfast in a couple of years time
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm 24 and loved the Chris Moyles show. Over the years we got to know all of the team and it was lovely to listen to them in the morning because it felt like listening to family. I found it hilarious too.

I like Nick Grimshaw (I remember listening to him when he covered for Scott a few weeks before it was announced that he would take over and thought that he would be the ideal choice) but I don't love the breakfast show now, I listen to Radio 1 more out of habit.

The Mix tape on Friday mornings is a great idea though. Call or delete is OK but surely it's pre-recorded? How can they make sure no one swears when they are telling people silly things?
    Showbot is OK. The best thing for me is the Wake Up song
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone else got an opinion?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    jonjons wrote: »
    Hi all,

Has anyone got any opinions on how Grimmy has helped to alienate most of Chris Moyles audience and any ways hes helped teenagers listen?

Hi! I didn't listen to Chris Moyles much so I can't comment on Grimmy 'alienating' his listeners as such although I would guess what Grimmy's style is very different to Moyles and that has put people off.

As for the ways he's helped teenagers listen: as someone has said here, increased social media presence. Their twitter is very active but so is their tumblr and they have a very dedicated crowd of fans over there (the Breakfast Club, who listen all over the world and have created a fandom around the breakfast show team) who they interact with a lot, retweeting and reblogging funny photo manips and comments etc. Grimmy also has a very silly, laid back style of presenting which I think appeals to younger listeners, he's very chatty and talks about the things they talk about (the bands, TV programmes etc), but he also isn't afraid to be snarky about bands and celebrities (which they probably like too for the rebellious aspect). To quote a 17 year old work colleague "he's an idiot, but that's why we love him".
    Forum Member
    jonjons wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hi! I didn't listen to Chris Moyles much so I can't comment on Grimmy 'alienating' his listeners as such although I would guess what Grimmy's style is very different to Moyles and that has put people off.

As for the ways he's helped teenagers listen: as someone has said here, increased social media presence. Their twitter is very active but so is their tumblr and they have a very dedicated crowd of fans over there (the Breakfast Club, who listen from all over the world and have created a fandom around the breakfast show team) who they interact with a lot, retweeting and reblogging funny photo manips and comments etc. Grimmy also has a very silly, laid back and a little bit anarchic style of presenting which I think appeals to younger listeners, he's very chatty and talks about the things they talk about (the bands, TV programmes etc), but he also isn't afraid to be snarky about bands and celebrities (which they probably like too for the rebellious aspect). To quote a 17 year old work colleague "he's an idiot, but that's why we love him".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Pointless post, as it takes often takes time for people to adapt to change.
    Eventually............they accept almost anything.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sams83 wrote: »

As for the ways he's helped teenagers listen: as someone has said here, increased social media presence. Their twitter is very active but so is their tumblr and they have a very dedicated crowd of fans over there (the Breakfast Club, who listen from all over the world and have created a fandom around the breakfast show team) who they interact with a lot, retweeting and reblogging funny photo manips and comments etc. Grimmy also has a very silly, laid back and a little bit anarchic style of presenting which I think appeals to younger listeners, he's very chatty and talks about the things they talk about (the bands, TV programmes etc), but he also isn't afraid to be snarky about bands and celebrities (which they probably like too for the rebellious aspect). To quote a 17 year old work colleague "he's an idiot, but that's why we love him".

I find he talks less about TV shows or what is going on in the world than what Moyles & his team did.

Probably because Moyles & his team lead a more normal social life, so would watch TV, see what's in the news etc.

Grimmy obviously doesn't watch much TV, and lives a live most of us can't, going out to see bands/showbiz parties every night, and talking about it on the show.

For example I don't think there was one mention of I'm a Celebrity, probably the only radio station in the country that didn't!
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder if having more music in general during the breakfast show has an impact on the average age of the listener...

I reckon some of the older folk are more used to a bit of chat and banter at breakfast, with the odd song thrown in here and there (Radio 1 listening folk anyway...)
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,378
    Forum Member
    I still listen, age 35, although sometimes tune out if I don't like a song. Xmas tunes strange though as rare for old songs to get played. Do Paul mcartney and Shakin Stevens bring in the teens?
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Grimshaw had a relatively funny moment about a week ago when the conversation with his (off-mike - grr) team went like this:

Do you wanna hear George Michael? No
    Do you wanna hear Wham? Hmmm... maybe.
    Do you wanna hear Last Christmas? Yeeeeeeah.

Which probably sums up how Radio 1 should approach stuff like this. I don't think they can ignore the cheesy Christmas tracks, much as they'd like to.

Incidentally, count me as someone who doesn't listen to breakfast any more. At 32, that's probably a result for them as long as they can replace the lost listeners eventually.

I can't say I'm bitter about it though. Given what's happened in the last few months (the stuff about Comedy Dave and Moyles's tax situation) it feels like the wheels were about to fall off, so I'm glad they finished on a high.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    Grimshaw had a relatively funny moment about a week ago when the conversation with his (off-mike - grr) team went like this:

Do you wanna hear George Michael? No
    Do you wanna hear Wham? Hmmm... maybe.
    Do you wanna hear Last Christmas? Yeeeeeeah.

Which probably sums up how Radio 1 should approach stuff like this. I don't think they can ignore the cheesy Christmas tracks, much as they'd like to.

Incidentally, count me as someone who doesn't listen to breakfast any more. At 32, that's probably a result for them as long as they can replace the lost listeners eventually.

I can't say I'm bitter about it though. Given what's happened in the last few months (the stuff about Comedy Dave and Moyles's tax situation) it feels like the wheels were about to fall off, so I'm glad they finished on a high.

'Finchy' and Fiona seem to get involved a bit more now. I do like when they banter with each other, but to be honest, I'd be happy with just Nick and the music too.

They definitely play some cheesy Christmas music, I swear he played Bing Crosby yesterday!
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    I find he talks less about TV shows or what is going on in the world than what Moyles & his team did.

Probably because Moyles & his team lead a more normal social life, so would watch TV, see what's in the news etc.

Grimmy obviously doesn't watch much TV, and lives a live most of us can't, going out to see bands/showbiz parties every night, and talking about it on the show.

For example I don't think there was one mention of I'm a Celebrity, probably the only radio station in the country that didn't!

He mentioned 'I'm a Celebrity' quite a bit! It featured on Showquizness several times that I can remember and he discussed it with guests and callers. Also not sure why you think he doesn't watch much TV?? He's always reporting his TV viewing or live-tweeting his telly watching of an evening. He was obsessed with Nigella, Great British Bake Off, X Factor - it was quite entertaining to get his daily updates :D