Ron's age and his comments

Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok so this post is gonna be pretty disjointed and may make little sense.

I have seen lots of posts defending Ron because is from an age where his comments were acceptable and he was responsible for the influx of black players when he was a football manager. Oh and his comments are without malice.

For the past 20+ years race relations have been a huge issue- even more so in his time. Comments made back then was not made with innocence. Lots of people were beaten up, murdered and denied rights because of the color of their skin, sexuality and religion. They were banned from establishments, got paid little if they some how acquired a job, and generally treated as second class citizens.

There are much older and people in the same age-range as Ron who didn't agree with the bigoted oppressive crap that was happening back then. There are plenty of people who didn't and wouldn't dream of using the words or terms Ron does.

Just because he brought in black players it doesn't make him not racist. black players who were under his management have said they were called coons and other things.
If I were to employ a staff in my company and then use derogatory language on the basis of their skin color, gender, sexuality, etc when referring to them, what would you think?
Just because I've employed these people it doesnt mean that I have the right to use terms that are offensive and then reference that I'm not a bigot because of who I've employed.

As for him being a good person ask yourself why he has not bothered to update his vocabulary to suit these times. Its because he feels he doesn't have to because of who he has employed.

I just can't get on board that he is a good person. I have little time for people who just talk crap and don't have any regard on who might find it offensive. I find those people beyond gross.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phew! Another Ron thread, not had one for 3 mins, withdrawals were kicking in! ;)
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Age is a BS excuse most people his age and older do not talk like that

My Great Gran hated racism and bigotry of any kind and she would have been 40+ years older than him

My Grandma and Granddad was the same in fact with my Granddad I recall him having a go at someone once for mocking this Japanese bloke and my Granddad was a Japanese POW and went through a lot but as he said "It wasn't him who did it"
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unlike a lot of people his age, Ron has been made completely aware the language he uses is not acceptable, he even did that doc when he went to America, so obviously he has chosen not to change because he doesn't give a flying **** :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok so this post is gonna be pretty disjointed and may make little sense.

I have seen lots of posts defending Ron because is from an age where his comments were acceptable and he was responsible for the influx of black players when he was a football manager. Oh and his comments are without malice.

For the past 20+ years race relations have been a huge issue- even more so in his time. Comments made back then was not made with innocence. Lots of people were beaten up, murdered and denied rights because of the color of their skin, sexuality and religion. They were banned from establishments, got paid little if they some how acquired a job, and generally treated as second class citizens.

There are much older and people in the same age-range as Ron who didn't agree with the bigoted oppressive crap that was happening back then. There are plenty of people who didn't and wouldn't dream of using the words or terms Ron does.

Just because he brought in black players it doesn't make him not racist. black players who were under his management have said they were called coons and other things.
    If I were to employ a staff in my company and then use derogatory language on the basis of their skin color, gender, sexuality, etc when referring to them, what would you think?
    Just because I've employed these people it doesnt mean that I have the right to use terms that are offensive and then reference that I'm not a bigot because of who I've employed.

As for him being a good person ask yourself why he has not bothered to update his vocabulary to suit these times. Its because he feels he doesn't have to because of who he has employed.

I just can't get on board that he is a good person. I have little time for people who just talk crap and don't have any regard on who might find it offensive. I find those people beyond gross.

I agree, he's a tit, and there's too many apologists spouting shite about it being because of the era he comes from when such language was commonplace. Yes, it was, commonplace among racists. My dad's older than him and loathes anybody like that. As did my grandparents when they were alive. Also, your username made me laugh. :D
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dizzychick wrote: »
    Phew! Another Ron thread, not had one for 3 mins, withdrawals were kicking in! ;)

You know you can't get enough of them :D:D