I think something's living in the walls.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
Forum Member
✭✭
Today I moved back into my uni flat after spending the summer at home. I've been sitting in the kitchen/living area for about 3 hours now, and I've kept hearing a kind of scratching/moving around noise. At first I thought it was the blinds blowing against the windows, but when I shut the windows the noise still kept happening. Is it possible that something could be living in the walls and if so, what do I do about it? I wouldn't have thought something would crawl this far up (we're on the 5th floor), but it's the only answer I can think of :confused::confused:

Comments

• chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today I moved back into my uni flat after spending the summer at home. I've been sitting in the kitchen/living area for about 3 hours now, and I've kept hearing a kind of scratching/moving around noise. At first I thought it was the blinds blowing against the windows, but when I shut the windows the noise still kept happening. Is it possible that something could be living in the walls and if so, what do I do about it? I wouldn't have thought something would crawl this far up (we're on the 5th floor), but it's the only answer I can think of :confused::confused:

Rats!;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rats!;)

What should I do?
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Make sure that any holes in the flat/cupboards etc are blocked and buy a cat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell your landlord and get pest control in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Make sure that any holes in the flat/cupboards etc are blocked and buy a cat.

Thanks! I've checked for holes and couldn't see any, but as it's a rented flat I'm not allowed to own a pet :(
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    Tell your landlord and get pest control in.

Thanks, I was wondering whether I'd need to let the landlord know or just go straight to pest control.

My mom's suggested that as the flat's so high up and near to some quite tall trees that it might be squirrels.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Thanks! I've checked for holes and couldn't see any, but as it's a rented flat I'm not allowed to own a pet :(

Thanks, I was wondering whether I'd need to let the landlord know or just go straight to pest control.

My mom's suggested that as the flat's so high up and near to some quite tall trees that it might be squirrels.
    i was going to suggest a squirrel, they`re very noisy.
    you need to get the landlord out i would think.

they`re really bad for cable chewing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i was going to suggest a squirrel, they`re very noisy.
    you need to get the landlord out i would think.

they`re really bad for cable chewing.

It was quite noisy, I could hear them over the TV! It reminded me of the noise my hamster's claws used to make when she was crawling around on our wooden floor.

I hadn't even thought about cables or anything, I was just annoyed at the noise they were making :o
    Forum Member
    definitely sounds like a squirrel, right time of year too, they come in to have their babies and leave in the spring,
  • Owen_KentOwen_Kent Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Maybe you have a evil sprit living in the walls ;):D
    Forum Member
    it`s the landlord`s responsibility to deal with it:
    The question often asked by Tenants and Landlords is ‘who is responsible for dealing with infestations?’

The Housing Act 2004 states that ‘residential premises should provide a safe and healthy environment for any potential occupant or visitor’. In this respect, it is quite clear that landlords have a responsibility for the health of their tenants, especially regarding what can be termed as ‘public health’ pests that carry disease spreading potential, such as rodents. However, as has been highlighted in this article, disease potential is just one of many risks caused by pest species. The damage to property, foodstuffs, reputations and the legal consequences of uncontrolled pest infestations must all be considered by any landlord or tenant when faced with pest activity.

http://www.lettingtrainingcentre.co.uk/news/pest-problems-and-pitfalls-rental-sector
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if its squirrels they have fleas and the fleas 'bite'
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Aliens.

'There coming out of the god damn walls..'
  • DEmmersonDEmmerson Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be bats? Now that would be an issue as they are a protected species.