Options

Don't know how to react to (homophobic?) comment?

BustedCatBustedCat Posts: 1,167
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been staying with my uncle and his wife for the past two weeks or so and things have been going well. Until today, I was watching Alan Carr and it got to the part with Olly from X factor and they were playing gay chicken. My uncle walked into the room and shouted "disgusting" at the TV and walked out, I sat in shock. :( He's a nice guy and we get along well but after that, I'm not really sure how to react to that. I'm 19 and gay but it's not something I really talk about, I wouldn't lie about my sexuality though, if that makes any sense.

Comments

• Options
    delectabledelectable Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does he know, what you are?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you going to be staying with your aunt and uncle permanently? If not then his possible homophobia doesn't need to be a big issue, although it's not nice to think about.
  • Options
    embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    The moment has probably passed for you to react to the comment he made about Alan Carr, so until he makes another similar dumb comment i would ignore it.

Does he know you're gay?
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Dont be so sensitive,,,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mickmars wrote: »
    Dont be so sensitive,,,

:rolleyes:

If someone implies that your relationship is 'disguisting' it's hard not to be slightly offended ...
  • Options
    wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    It's not his relationship, it's Alan Carr's and the person from X Factor. Keep rolling your eyes if you want darling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure he wasn't just commenting on Alan Carr’s teeth?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not his relationship, it's Alan Carr's and the person from X Factor. Keep rolling your eyes if you want darling.

I'd say referring to two guys kissing as 'disguisting' pretty much implies he assumes any two guys kissing is disguisting ...

Are you mickmars' security guy?
  • Options
    sallycamebacksallycameback Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of straight blokes are put off by the gay kiss, or gay humping. It doesn't mean they hate gay folks or gayness per se. It's hard to explain. Doesn't bother some, it is a bit revolting to others. I wouldn't kiss another bloke, and the idea of it makes my sphincter tighten. Does that make me a homophobe? I dunno.
  • Options
    wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    emby wrote: »
    I'd say referring to two guys kissing as 'disguisting' pretty much implies he assumes any two guys kissing is disguisting ...

Are you mickmars' security guy?

He's not talking about the OP. He's quite happy to sit and spend friendly time with his nephew. The comment was directed at the TV not him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He's not talking about the OP. He's quite happy to sit and spend friendly time with his nephew. The comment was directed at the TV not him.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree and leave it there. Don't want a derailed thread like the one yesterday now do we. :D
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    emby wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

If someone implies that your relationship is 'disguisting' it's hard not to be slightly offended ...

Lets not get the fact that uncle thinks a lot of his nephew and treats him really well get in the way of an "outraged opinion" eh
  • Options
    mick.dundeemick.dundee Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    That tv programme where the kids goes someone said to me the other day you're gay. and i said does it matter.

nah mate thats the wrong answer. you say no if you aren't lol

What is gay chicken?
  • Options
    BustedCatBustedCat Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sleepydove wrote: »
    Are you going to be staying with your aunt and uncle permanently? If not then his possible homophobia doesn't need to be a big issue, although it's not nice to think about.

For a for weeks but I have the choice to leave earlier.

He doesn't know (to the best of my knowledge) that I'm gay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    That's a difficult one. Older relatives may find it difficult to come to terms with openly gay people (because in their generation, such things might have been kept hidden, so they are not used to it).

Alan Carr can be very upfront about stuff, have you tried watching something like John Barrowman's saturday night show on BBC1 to see if he has a problem with him or that (I have a problem with it, which is that it is dire, but that is not the issue here :) ). A mainstream entertainment show is a safe choice to watch to test what is and is not considered okay. If your uncle dislikes John Barrowman for who he is, then you'll either have to totally avoid the gay thing for the time you are there, or (assuming you are out already to quite a few people), decide enough is enough and that presumably your uncle and her partner like you as you are already, and that they should also like you as the same person they already know but who happens to be gay.

You've got to make that judgement call, and the latter option carries the largest risk or reward: at worst you may be rejected so you should have contingency plans for that including where to stay for at least the first night (being rejected at first does not mean they don't love you, it is usually just too great a shock which they need time to come to terms with); alternatively because you have been honest with them about yourself, you may change their views about gay people perhaps not there and then, but quite quickly, and your friendship becomes that much closer.

Whatever you do, I wish you the very best.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    BustedCat wrote: »
    For a for weeks but I have the choice to leave earlier.

He doesn't know (to the best of my knowledge) that I'm gay.

He will know, how could he not?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of straight blokes are put off by the gay kiss, or gay humping. It doesn't mean they hate gay folks or gayness per se. It's hard to explain. Doesn't bother some, it is a bit revolting to others. I wouldn't kiss another bloke, and the idea of it makes my sphincter tighten. Does that make me a homophobe? I dunno.

Is'nt your sphincter the muscles that stop acid reflux at the entrance to the stomach??? lol :D
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the camp simpering of Alan Carr pretty nauseating myself.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    Lets not get the fact that uncle thinks a lot of his nephew and treats him really well get in the way of an "outraged opinion" eh

He doesn't know he is gay and if he did, calling his lifestyle disgusting his hardly treating him well is it?
  • Options
    SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely uncle is allowed his own opinion in his own house :D
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Barrowman test! Poor uncle - I imagine him being subjected to a compulsory questionnaire to prove to you that he isn't homophobic. Be sure to write it all down in a little notebook -

Hates Carr
    OK with Barrowman
    Query Barbra Streisand.

It's a bit like the Spy-In-The-Cab, isn't it?

This is what comes of not being open with people and it isn't a pretty picture of you - you accept someone's hospitality, accept his affection for you, then sit and pick over attitudes, condemn, and get on the internet to have a big discussion about it.

This is your uncle. He doesn't like Alan Carr. Neither do I - he grates on me. In my defence, however, Julian Clary used to make me laugh my head off. What does that tell you? Not a lot really.

I really think it's time to get over yourself. Don't sit there eating the man's food and sleeping in his house, being friendly and nice to his face while mentally accusing him of unfashionable thinking and a questionable taste in comedians.
    Either ship out and find someone whose every thought meets your approval or man up and tell your family you're gay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He doesn't know he is gay and if he did, calling his lifestyle disgusting his hardly treating him well is it?
    He didn't call his lifestyle anything, he saw Alan Carr playing up to Olly in the gay chicken part of the show and thought that was disgusting. I thought "Ugh" when I saw it too - I can't stand Alan and it was only because a friend was round when it was shown a few days ago who wanted to see it that I saw that bit at all. Alan bores me, over-acts and his teeth look like they're in the wrong order. Him being gay makes no difference to me.

OP, I can understand you wondering about the comment, albeit being only one word. However, it's unfair to judge your uncle just on the basis of that - it's not as if he used one of the many other nasty words that have been used to describe gay men in the past or went into a long rant about homosexuals, so you don't know he was talking about the sexuality of the people involved. If he's made homophobic comments in the past, that's different, but I doubt that as you've said you get on well and things have been going fine while you've been there.

If you feel up to having the debate, bring up the subject with him (I'm not saying come out to him) and see how it goes. If you don't particularly fancy starting that conversation (fair enough, it could have all sorts of repercussions), then treat your stay with them as nothing more than a holiday with family. This was a comment that you don't appear to have heard before, so there's probably not much chance of hearing it again. Enjoy your break. :)
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP: You have two options. Either challenge him about what he said, or just move on. Sitting there stewing over it feeling offended isn't going to get you anywhere really. Either ask him what he meant and explain it offended you or just forget about it.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He didn't call his lifestyle anything, he saw Alan Carr playing up to Olly in the gay chicken part of the show and thought that was disgusting. I thought "Ugh" when I saw it too - I can't stand Alan and it was only because a friend was round when it was shown a few days ago who wanted to see it that I saw that bit at all. Alan bores me, over-acts and his teeth look like they're in the wrong order. Him being gay makes no difference to me.

OP, I can understand you wondering about the comment, albeit being only one word. However, it's unfair to judge your uncle just on the basis of that - it's not as if he used one of the many other nasty words that have been used to describe gay men in the past or went into a long rant about homosexuals, so you don't know he was talking about the sexuality of the people involved. If he's made homophobic comments in the past, that's different, but I doubt that as you've said you get on well and things have been going fine while you've been there.

If you feel up to having the debate, bring up the subject with him (I'm not saying come out to him) and see how it goes. If you don't particularly fancy starting that conversation (fair enough, it could have all sorts of repercussions), then treat your stay with them as nothing more than a holiday with family. This was a comment that you don't appear to have heard before, so there's probably not much chance of hearing it again. Enjoy your break. :)

This is what the OP implied from his post, and as that is all we have to go on, that was what my comment was based on. nice to know your views on Alan Carr though.:)
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant stand Alan Carr, gay , straight , sitting , standing, talking , not talking , laughing, crying .Nothing to do with him being gay or not , just cant watch him