Options

Why are you named what you're named?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom - basically a compromise as my parents couldn't make up their mind :D

Btw, Madison's an awesome name, if I ever have a girl I'd always planned to call her that :)
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I was supposed to be Mary after my gran but Tracy was the trendy name that year (as if it ever was trendy) and got stuck with that....my second son was supposed to be a girl and we had no name for him but jason and the argonauts had been on tv so we called him Jason
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Dick Hippophobe?

err no....but i wish i was called that
  • Options
    LindaSLindaS Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    My mum used to be a Dr. Barnardos nanny in Bristol and one of the little girls she looked after was called Linda. She liked the name and when she had me she named me after her. My second name is Carol because I was born three days after Christmas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My name was quite rare at the time I was born but it's more popular now and I was named after a ballet dancer :D
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,920
    Forum Member
    The story I've been told is that my dad was a big fan of Joanna Lumley, so therefore I got named after a character she played. Why I couldn't have been named Joanna I don't know would have been preferable to what I did get stuck with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OhDamm wrote: »
    My name was quite rare at the time I was born but it's more popular now and I was named after a ballet dancer :D

Baryshnikov? :p
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    My name's Hemel, I was named after the place where my parents honeymooned and where I was conceived, Hemel Hempstead.

I thank my lucky stars that they didn't honeymoon in Berkhamsted. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Deleted :o
  • Options
    PuddleduckPuddleduck Posts: 1,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to be called Jennifer but my mum's best friend called her daughter that, so my mum had to find something new. She was looking through a pram book (yes, prams, that's how old I am) and all the prams were called by girls name, she chose a pram and liked the name of the pram she chose. I get so bored of having to tell people how to spell Puddleduck (but seriously I don't like my real name, so I ain't telling ya what it is!)
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julie Andrews was rather popular the year I was born.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not actually sure that I was named after someone - but if you knew my name they you would think I defiantly was. Born in the 80's when a certain pint sized actress was just becoming a big singer - to be honest I prefer her sister's name ;).
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neb Adra wrote: »
    I'm not actually sure that I was named after someone - but if you knew my name they you would think I defiantly was. Born in the 80's when a certain pint sized actress was just becoming a big singer - to be honest I prefer her sister's name ;).

It was the natural successor to the name Kayleigh, made popular a couple of years earlier due to a really shit song by Marillion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The story I've been told is that my dad was a big fan of Joanna Lumley, so therefore I got named after a character she played. Why I couldn't have been named Joanna I don't know would have been preferable to what I did get stuck with.

Patsy or Sapphire?

Not keen on my name, it sounds like a barmaid from a 70's sitcom :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    I named myself Nathan because both me and my mum like that name and agreed that it fitted me. When I changed my name it was important for my mum to be invloved as she was involved in picking my birth name.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    It was the natural successor to the name Kayleigh, made popular a couple of years earlier due to a really shit song by Marillion.

I don't care what it is - it's been the bane of my school life (and yes that song is a bit rubbish :p)! Luckily now I'm in my 20's people tend to realise I've heard all the jokes. What's worse is when people call me everything but my name, usually either the above or Keeley, once I was even called Stacey (no joke, just like in the Ting Ting song :eek::p).
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neb Adra wrote: »
    I don't care what it is - it's been the bane of my school life (and yes that song is a bit rubbish :p)! Luckily now I'm in my 20's people tend to realise I've heard all the jokes. What's worse is when people call me everything but my name, usually either the above or Keeley, once I was even called Stacey (no joke, just like in the Ting Ting song :eek::p).

I've a friend with the same name. And she's 35, so named well before anyone in the UK had even heard of the tiny Australian.

But her mother is Australian, and I believe it it was quite a common name over there at one time.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mam liked the name and my dad said "ok" and that's how I got to be called Susan. It's a rivetting story it has to be said!
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the idea of being named out of a book!!

I was named after my grandfather and my father.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My father wanted to call me Thyme, which my mother forbade, so my grandad got the choice and called me Katie. My elder brother was two months premature, so they had no name for him, but they saw his name on a teacup so just gave him that. I like his name though- Ryan. Not so keen on mine though:D

On our family tree it goes- John, John, William, John, George, John, William, John, George,William, Ken, Micheal, Ryan. They weren't much for variaty
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I'm named after a Gilbert O'Sullivan song. Which I recently looked up the lyrics too and realised it's not the most innocent of love songs out there but oh well!

My middle name's also from a Roy Wood song.

No prizes for guessing either songs!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dad picked Louise because he worked for a family with a little girl called Louise who was apparently adorable. I must have been such a disapointment!
  • Options
    TheDonkTheDonk Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    cuz i was surprisingly born with a willy against the odds. i dont actually like horses i think they are c*nts...

you can guess my forename from that if you are etymologically incliuned ;)

Awright Howard? :)
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Megan

It's my mum's favourite name

:sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I am named after my dad, only he is Stephen and I am Steven.

He died and it caused me soooo many problems with my credit file, electoral roll and such. It took me ages to get that sorted out.

So, parents, for your kid's sake, give them a different name to anyone else in the family!