Options

Scariest Cult Moment!!!

All of us have a 'behind the sofa' moment when we were growing up.

We all have an early memory of something that we watched as children that utterly terrified us.

Mine was the Space 1999 episode Dragons Domain with the tenticled creature in the doorway that hypnotised it's victims, dragged them to their deaths, and then spat out their smoking bodies:eek:

To anyone looking at it now it would seem like a cheap effect (in these days of CGI) but the power of that scene still brings a chill to me.:eek:

Anyone else want to top that?

Comments

• Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who has had dozens of scary moments-my favourites were when the mummies in "Pyramids of Mars" crushed a poor gamekeeper to death, and the Weeping Angels in "Blink" sneaking up on Sally Sparrow and her boyfriend. :eek:

And even though I saw it as an adult, I was spooked by the creepy villain in the Fringe episode "The Abducted" who who a silver mask. In the start of the episode he hid in a kid's bedroom and then snatched him. :eek:
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The autons from Doctor Who especially the toys and the chair.

Also the early Cybermen.
  • Options
    Nikki E.Nikki E. Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    The autons from Doctor Who especially the toys and the chair.

Also the early Cybermen.

That little troll thing. :eek: I used to have nightmares about the autons as a child.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Murdered boy in a doll box on Medium. Still gives me chills.
  • Options
    LondonKiwiLondonKiwi Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The episode called 'The Horse of the Invisible' from the TV Series The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes. Its amazing how much terror the sound of a horses hooves could induce. One day I must buy the DVD to see if this episode is as terrifying as I remember it (probably not!).
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The X-Files - 'Eugene Tooms' episode.
  • Options
    RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twin Peaks - Bob
  • Options
    Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Redmond wrote: »
    Twin Peaks - Bob

I'd go for the death of Maddy, instead. Really chilling stuff.

And I'd put the original Salem's Lot a close second.
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An old episode of Doctor Who, entitled Snakedance.

Martin Clunes' character and Tegan are possessed. When Martin says "Look-At-Me", it sends shivers up my spine :eek::o

And Tegan's deeper voice :o

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9w9r8_snake-dance-part6_shortfilms

From about 2:28.
  • Options
    outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    The two children with the ripped open chests from "Lost Hearts" (A Ghost Story for Christmas) in 1973 stayed in my memory for years. The little doll from the "Viktoria" episode of Supernatural in 1977 - saw that again recently and hadn't realised it was played by an actress! Also, numerous Doctor Who monsters from the 1970s - Zygons, Morbius, Vocs, etc.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Hammer House of Horror "The House That Bled To Death" - the kids party sequence stuck in my memory for years - only when I bought the boxset 5 years or so ago, did I see the ending - I must've been too scared to watch aged 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACBp9m8mxeE&feature=related
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sapphire and Steel: the guy who is in every photo that's ever been taken - when he's revealed and has no face :eek:
  • Options
    Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine was the Space 1999 episode Dragons Domain with the tentacled creature in the doorway that hypnotised it's victims, dragged them to their deaths, and then spat out their smoking bodies:eek:
    The X-Files - 'Eugene Tooms' episode.
    Sapphire and Steel: the guy who is in every photo that's ever been taken - when he's revealed and has no face :eek:

Well thanks for bringing back those nightmares!!!
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    It was an episode of the X-files, though I can't remember what the episode was called. It was the one where the went into some tunnels and in the wall there was a skeleton.
  • Options
    starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Opening credits to Armchair thriller a programme from the 70s.

i cant link to it as it will mean i catch a glimpse of it and just the thought of it creeps me out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The X-files ep 'Home', no supernatural or paranormal element at all but the scariest ep EVER!
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LondonKiwi wrote: »
    The episode called 'The Horse of the Invisible' from the TV Series The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes. Its amazing how much terror the sound of a horses hooves could induce. One day I must buy the DVD to see if this episode is as terrifying as I remember it (probably not!).

The ghost story The Woman In Black uses the sound of horses' hooves to frightening effect, so I am with you on this one without having seen it!

I'd go for the death of Maddy, instead. Really chilling stuff.

That is the most startling, horrible, cruel, sudden, crushing, devastating moment in Twin Peaks ... the scene in the bar, following it, is heartbreaking.

Two key, formative memories of being scared by the telly are of the Melkur in Doctor Who: The Keeper of Traken, and of the 1986 Christmas special of Bergerac: Fires In The Fall. Crikey-me it's still unsettling, even on DVD after all these years ...
  • Options
    chimpsy23chimpsy23 Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    when I was a kid there was an episode of dr who that scared the hell out of me it had these robots called cleaners that killed people in a hotel,
    also there was a childrens show called through the dragons eye that scared the bejesus out of me.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of us have a 'behind the sofa' moment when we were growing up.

We all have an early memory of something that we watched as children that utterly terrified us.

Mine was the Space 1999 episode Dragons Domain with the tenticled creature in the doorway that hypnotised it's victims, dragged them to their deaths, and then spat out their smoking bodies:eek:

To anyone looking at it now it would seem like a cheap effect (in these days of CGI) but the power of that scene still brings a chill to me.:eek:

Anyone else want to top that?

it was astonishingly gory and scary and went out early evening !
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Buffy episode "Forever" when Dawn casts a spell to bring Joyce back. The shots of "something" making its way from the graveyard to the house and the knocking on the door did freak me out a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    The Buffy episode "Forever" when Dawn casts a spell to bring Joyce back. The shots of "something" making its way from the graveyard to the house and the knocking on the door did freak me out a bit.

Yeah. That was pretty freaky.

"Mother's milk is red today."

Just remembered. The gas-mask child from Dr. Who two-parter The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances. <---Well creepy!:)
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctor Who and the Zarbis @1965 and then 'The Trollenberg Terror", both gave me the stain of shame.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Stone Tape. Way too scary for me :eek:to get the DVD. Can't stand being in really old buildings just in case....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nikki E. wrote: »
    Yeah. That was pretty freaky.

"Mother's milk is red today."

Just remembered. The gas-mask child from Dr. Who two-parter The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances. <---Well creepy!:)

Oops. That was 'Conversations With Dead People.' Ah well, count that too.:sleep:
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    Hammer House of Horror "The House That Bled To Death" - the kids party sequence stuck in my memory for years - only when I bought the boxset 5 years or so ago, did I see the ending - I must've been too scared to watch aged 6

Same for me, the whole episode though, poor pussy cat :(
    Evil Hazell!!!

I was a few years older than you when I saw this (used to hide behind my mum, peeking at the TV) and it has been the one that stuck with me for years.:eek: