The Event comes to Channel 4

MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,538
Forum Member
✭✭
Finally Ch4 brings some decent quality US television back to terrestrial tv. There must have been some bidding war with Sky 1 i bet.

The Event is getting rave reviews in America. So glad Ch4 got this. True Blood and now The Event, hell yeah!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s123/the-event/news/a252499/channel-4-picks-up-nbcs-the-event.html

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    You know what will happen though ... it will be massive on CH4, and Sky will buy the remaining seasons ... it's actually very clever by Sky ... they did it with Lost ..... ;)
  • Sir_JasperSir_Jasper Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Nice. Wont have to wait too long to see it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remain indoors
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    There must have been some bidding war with Sky 1 i bet.

Sky seemed to have spent their money on every show HBO has made.

Incluidng new shows Broadwalk Empire, Treme and Game of Thrones.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally Ch4 brings some decent quality US television back to terrestrial tv. There must have been some bidding war with Sky 1 i bet.

The Event is getting rave reviews in America. So glad Ch4 got this. True Blood and now The Event, hell yeah!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s123/the-event/news/a252499/channel-4-picks-up-nbcs-the-event.html

:confused: it's not been shown in the US yet so how can it be getting rave reviews
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    :confused: it's not been shown in the US yet so how can it be getting rave reviews

Probably because of pilot that's been show to potential buyers.

And the rave reviews are similar to flashforward reviews:D
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well C4 dont have True Blood anymore... Sky have bought the exclusive rights!
  • jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i cant see this series lasting tbh, but you never know :) its nice to see C4 buying US shows to actually show on C4 anyway!
  • tvtimestvtimes Posts: 9,276
    Forum Member
    lala wrote: »
    Well C4 dont have True Blood anymore... Sky have bought the exclusive rights!

No they haven't, they have bought the rights to new commissions by HBO and an old catalogues of shows that have already been broadcast. The ch4 deal and FX deal for TrueBlood still stands as it was done previous. This new deal can't default that.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvtimes wrote: »
    No they haven't, they have bought the rights to new commissions by HBO and an old catalogues of shows that have already been broadcast. The ch4 deal and FX deal for TrueBlood still stands as it was done previous. This new deal can't default that.

Damn it... I thought we might finally get it closer to the US airing!
  • EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remain indoors

What is the name of this pre-event leader?
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    I might watch C4 for the first time in years then.

Makes a change from the endless Big Brother tripe.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remain indoors
    LOL :D

That's the first thing I thought when I saw the thread title.
  • Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    Very, very premature.
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    I might watch C4 for the first time in years then.

Makes a change from the endless Big Brother tripe.
    You didn't watch Generation Kill, Dead Set, True Blood, Misfits, Red Riding or Endgame then?
  • DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvtimes wrote: »
    But as soon as they expire (with season 5, right?), the rights will go to Sky1.
  • Nate SeinfeldNate Seinfeld Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The series was previewed at the network upfronts back in May. Something Digital Spy, and several national titles reported on, and in some detail. Plus the broadcast networks are now smartly using Comic Con as a showcase for forthcoming shows. Plenty of opportunities for critics to review the Pilot.

I think this is an excellent acquisition for Channel 4 and given all brand new HBO series are Sky's for the next five years, could be a shrewd one. I am quite disappointed that the NBC sitcom Community hasn't yet been snapped up, it would be perfect for E4/C4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dizagaox wrote: »

Not sure, I think fx has first refusal but this deal with sky is a new one I think....
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sky 1 deal with HBO is a very good deal indeed, 5 years! That's a long time and everyone knows HBO is a channel that makes very good television so Sky 1 have done well. They'll have a shedload of old HBO shows they can show on Sky eg The Sopranos, 6 Feet Under, Entourage, Sex and The City, etc.

Either way i'm happy about The Event. Out of all the new shows coming soon this is the only one that really caught my eye.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always start worrying when they say getting rave reviews. Correct me if im wrong but didn`t flash forward get rave reviews and now look at it. Have seen the trailer for The Event and it does look good but if it get canned, it wouldn`t surprise me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lets just hope channel 4 dont start mucking about with this like they have done with other imports.

The Sky 1 deal with HBO is a very good deal indeed, 5 years! That's a long time and everyone knows HBO is a channel that makes very good television so Sky 1 have done well. They'll have a shedload of old HBO shows they can show on Sky eg The Sopranos, 6 Feet Under, Entourage, Sex and The City, etc.

Either way i'm happy about The Event. Out of all the new shows coming soon this is the only one that really caught my eye.

has the next series of entourage got a home in the uk and if itv2 still have the rights will it be a waiting game like with the office before sky can show it or stick it up on demand.
  • passingbatpassingbat Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digital Spy normally do a list of the new US shows and which UK broadcaster has picked up the rights.

Is it not available yet or is it just that I can't find it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    passingbat wrote: »
    Digital Spy normally do a list of the new US shows and which UK broadcaster has picked up the rights.

Is it not available yet or is it just that I can't find it?

I think you mean the Premiere List Page, but lately it's been about as reliable as a chocolate fire guard so i wouldn't pay much attention to anything it says on there.
  • passingbatpassingbat Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I think you mean the Premiere List Page, but lately it's been about as reliable as a chocolate fire guard so i wouldn't pay much attention to anything it says on there.

No I wasn't thinking of the Premier list (agreed, it's pretty useless ATM).

I'm fairly sure there was another list as I described. I don't think I imagined it but you never know :)
  • tvtimestvtimes Posts: 9,276
    Forum Member
    Dizagaox wrote: »

FX have a life of the series deal., They have the right to all future series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    passingbat wrote: »
    No I wasn't thinking of the Premier list (agreed, it's pretty useless ATM).

I'm fairly sure there was another list as I described. I don't think I imagined it but you never know :)

you mean

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/tubetalkextra/a208556/show-status-2010-11-season.html

although it hasnt been updated since may :rolleyes:

and they have got rid of the bit telling you which uk channel has the rights