Options

Why is everyone always complaining about fireworks/Bonfire Night?

Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
Forum Member
✭✭
It's one f#cking week a year! OK one week and a couple of hours on New Year's Eve. I find it hard to believe all those people's families were blown up by fireworks and I certainly don't believe the 'It's supporting terrorism' nonsense!
If it's 'The noise keeps people awake' why aren't there just as many posts moaning about loud music, screaming kids, sirens, house and car alarms or any of the other things that might?

The only reason I can understand is if it scares your animals, but I still don't think that's a reason to hate the entire thing. I wonder if the same people hate Christmas and Easter because their cat or dog is more likely to try and eat chocolate? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noisy neighbours are definitely worse than fireworks going off, though noisy neighbours probably get even noisier when it's fireworks' time (which for some people is three or four times a year, and even all year round).
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noisy neighbours are definitely worse than fireworks going off, though noisy neighbours probably get even noisier when it's fireworks' time (which for some people is three or four times a year, and even all year round).
    Yeah our neighbours are really loud too. They play constant banging music in the mornings and sometimes all day, and the other evening they were screaming at eachother so loudly that I couldn't hear the programme I was watching. Then I tried to go to sleep and they started sounding as if they were smashing glass. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people just find it irritating, that's all. Just because you enjoy it doesn't mean everyone else has to.
    So far this year it's been ok here, but a few years ago it used to be really bad. Fireworks used to go off every night for about a month, sometimes up to 12pm. It did get a bit annoying. One of my children used to be really frightened by fireworks, it's not just pets.

I don't understand your point about terrorism. Wasn't that in Northern Ireland?
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I think it's more to do with those who let them off willy nilly weeks before 5th November. Thankfully this practice seems to have subsided where I am in recent years, though some idiot thought it would be a good idea to set them off at 3AM one day last week.
  • Options
    popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here in West London most of the fireworks are for Diwali more so Bonfire night. It has been going on for.3-4 hours on and off since 7.00 and fireworks are still going off as I type.

I can understand some people will getting a bit annoyed by now especially those needing sleep if they have to get up early tomorrow.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I'm not moaning - I went to a display with my grand sons tonight and we all really enjoyed it. I asked my youngest grand son (5) why we had bonfire night. He told me that Guy Fawkes wanted to blow up King James .....he then asked when it happened -was it the olden days and what would have happened if he hadn't been caught.

It' all about British history and part of our cultural traditions - I see nothing wrong with it.
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    It's one f#cking week a year! OK one week and a couple of hours on New Year's Eve. I find it hard to believe all those people's families were blown up by fireworks and I certainly don't believe the 'It's supporting terrorism' nonsense!
    If it's 'The noise keeps people awake' why aren't there just as many posts moaning about loud music, screaming kids, sirens, house and car alarms or any of the other things that might?

The only reason I can understand is if it scares your animals, but I still don't think that's a reason to hate the entire thing. I wonder if the same people hate Christmas and Easter because their cat or dog is more likely to try and eat chocolate? :confused:

Bonfire night was a plot to blow up the houses of parliament.... a catholic plot and not traditionally a setting off of beautifully coloured but smelly gunpowder.
    I don't celebrate it in anyway apart from looking at neighbours displays that are daft enough to actually go out and buy the overpriced, smelly things.
    Im not a parliament fan or a fireworks fan.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    he noise mainly, my nerves are shot to hell as is it without hearing those darned things going off, also annoys me when they are letting them off in the middle of the night, when im trying to sleep
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's mainly because people do them too early. It's not supposed to be a week, Bonfire night is one day of the year, not 7.
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    It's not just for one week. You know it goes on for much longer because for some reason shops are allowed to sell them.

Fireworks are not just used to celebrate Diwali, New Year and November 5th like they should be. They are used to celebrate pretty much anything nowadays, regardless of what the law states.

There were still fireworks going off at 1am last night in my area. That's a bit extreme even for a Saturday night. They weren't the little ones either, but one or two exploded over the park a few 100 Meters away and they were so loud they shook my house and set off a car alarm...this was at 12:30am FFS.

On Halloween there were fireworks going off until after midnight as well...quite what fireworks have to do with Halloween is beyond me. They seem to just be used now whenever people want without any regard whatsoever about who they might be affecting. That is why they are supposed to be strictly controlled, but that's all gone out the window now.

Anyway, my main area of complaint is when kids get their hands on fireworks and either hurt themselves or others, or when idiots get their hands on them and use them to melt wheelie bins, burn trees, hedges and fences or deliberately launch them at houses.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Last year I was taking my dog for a walk through the park and this was more than a week before bonfire night and someone was letting them off but this was only about 4pm in the broad daylight what is the point of letting them off when you can't even see them properly
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Bonfire night was a plot to blow up the houses of parliament.... a catholic plot and not traditionally a setting off of beautifully coloured but smelly gunpowder.
    I don't celebrate it in anyway apart from looking at neighbours displays that are daft enough to actually go out and buy the overpriced, smelly things.
    Im not a parliament fan or a fireworks fan.

Yes but traditionally it's been part of the 'British' cultural calender - a tradition. It' my guess that many folk don't believe in God or Jesus but still celebrate Christmas. Personally I'm not a 'fan' of parliament but I do like to see old customs upheld.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Because it scares the absolute crap out of my poor dog.
    Also animals in rescue centres have no one to sit and comfort them and I've heard awful stories of scared animals injuring themselves :(

I see nothing wrong with fireworks being limited to organised displays.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Because people don't confine them to just one week.

Because, at least where I live, kids burn trees, benches, scaffolding planks (from a neighbour's house), plants and all sorts, causing much damage.

Because some idiots think it's fun to let off those huge 'automatic' boxes of fireworks at 3am in the morning.

Because animals are terrified and get injured, either accidentally or on purpose.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were fireworks going off near me at 1pm. Really big ones. :D

Doesn't bother me at all.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

sounds like a good idea to me
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member

Me neither, that's really how it should be. But someone would complain that infringes their human rights and end up winning compensation.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I was having a bath and reading my book and some loony decides that was a good time to let off fireworks.

There should be proper displays away from dwellings as the last one scared my budgie.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Last year I was taking my dog for a walk through the park and this was more than a week before bonfire night and someone was letting them off but this was only about 4pm in the broad daylight what is the point of letting them off when you can't even see them properly

I doubt the idiots letting off Fireworks at 4pm care too much.

Since the change in the law on shops selling Fireworks it's been quiet in my area, used to be Fireworks day, every day from early-mid September until a couple of days after 5th November,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat doesn't like them but so long as the Tuna and fresh cream keeps a'rolling he doesn't stress too much.
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not heard a firework yet
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I was having a bath and reading my book and some loony decides that was a good time to let off fireworks.

There should be proper displays away from dwellings as the last one scared my budgie.

Damn it! There's got to be a joke in there somewhere.:( Vosene? Where are you?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So many frigging idiots out there who can get their hands on dangerous explosives, organised fire work displays only....do not sell to the general public....you can still go...awwwww....wow ww...at a public display can't you?
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    It's really not as bad as it used to be. Maybe people haven't got the money these days or the novelty's worn off.

I think fireworks are tremendous fun. Then again, I like kids dressing up for Hallowe'en and trick or treating so I'm clearly out of step with the rest of the forum (miserable gits:p).
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that fireworks are being let off too long before November 5th ( I'm pretty sure they didn't appear in the shops till the 1st Nov when I was a kid) and brainless cretins are letting them off in the early hours- 3am in my street on Saturday night! - but I strongly disagree that fireworks should only be allowed at organised displays.
    I find organised displays boring. Standing around with a load of people I don't know from adam, not being allowed anywhere near the bonfire for health and safety reasons, nowhere to go for shelter when you get cold or wet from the ( inevitable) drizzle.
    No, I like to have my own fire in my own back garden with my family and any friends I wish to invite.

I'm not a complete idiot and I know the firework code, so nobody is going to get hurt.
    I've been going to small private bonfires in domestic gardens for over 40 years and nobody has ever got hurt.