Best ever Doctor Who cliff hanger - ever ever ever??

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot also to mention The Daleks appearing at the end of Army Of Ghosts. Though I'd read about them cropping up somewhere it had been some months before it was shown so I'd forgotten it about by this time. So it was still quite an exciting surprise to see them!

:)

It didn't help that it was spoiled in the Next Time trailer at the end of Fear Her. Still thought it was very well done though.
  • MaurimanMauriman Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about inferno episode 6,With the world ending,Its the one cliffhanger where you know not everyone's gonna make it out alive!
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,081
    Forum Member
    The floor in Death to the Daleks. Surely the best cliffhanger ever :)
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But both ruined by complete cop out escapes the following week.

And the Doctor and Peri being androids wasn't a cop-out? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That was pretty well seeded in episode one. On second viewing it's pretty obvious that it was heading that way.
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The final 15 minutes of Utopia remain up there with any moment in Doctor Who ever, absolutely fantastic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    If it's a WTF moment then you don't get much better than the very first one. The TARDIS lifts off from London, everyone seems to get knocked out by the vortex of noise and images and then silence. The Police Box is standing on a rugged outcrop of rock in the middle of a sandy plain. How brilliantly weird. I mean really, what on earth would you have made of that way back in 1963?

I was 8yrs old when I first saw this episode. I was gobsmacked by it all!!
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is AGMGTW I suspected a little before but it was still a great ending.
    Love how the doctor reacts when he finally realises who and what she really is. Stunned ,relieved and then excited about their future together. Plus Amy and Rory being shocked to the core and River/Melody praying her parents won't reject her.
  • king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either Caves Of Androzani Part 3 or The War Games Part 8 :)
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    If it's a WTF moment then you don't get much better than the very first one. The TARDIS lifts off from London, everyone seems to get knocked out by the vortex of noise and images and then silence. The Police Box is standing on a rugged outcrop of rock in the middle of a sandy plain. How brilliantly weird. I mean really, what on earth would you have made of that way back in 1963?

Yes, I agree, that was a WTF cliffhanger of sorts and I often wonder what I'd have felt about it had I been around at the time. An absolutely corking way to end the very first episode.
    It didn't help that it was spoiled in the Next Time trailer at the end of Fear Her. Still thought it was very well done though.

Did they? Don't remember that? :confused:

I don't think it was a cop-out at all. I think it was very carefully crafted the way it was done. The Doctor and Peri are seen near from a doorway point of view and you don't read too much into this clue even though you should. If you didn't, it makes the Cliffhanger seem all the more real with The Doctor and Peri being seen shot at close range and then toppling to the floor at the beginning of Part 2. Then the big reveal is seen moments later.

Thing is, if you're going to use Androids instead, it gives you more leeway to make a great cliffhanger and do things you couldn't do normally. I thought it worked really well.

• TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is, if you're going to use Androids instead, it gives you more leeway to make a great cliffhanger and do things you couldn't do normally. I thought it worked really well.

Or even a miniaturizing space ship / android replica...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did they? Don't remember that? :confused:

Dalek death ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf2dcq4nf6E

around the 35 second mark
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dalek death ray

I saw no ice creams!
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dalek death ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf2dcq4nf6E

around the 35 second mark

That's very quick, I don't recall seeing that, glad I didn't, it would have ruined the surprise! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cool:Hm yeah the riversong one in matts era, in davids , the one where donna appears,in chris's era , the slithereens one ,in a classic epsisode none i cant remeber ax
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,105
    Forum Member
    Two WTF! cliffhangers:

Deadly Assassin Ep.1 - The Doctor runs up to the balcony to stop someone shooting the President, then picks up the gun and seems to shoot the President himself.

Warriors Gate Ep.3 - The Doctor's having a nice feast during the time of the Tharils reign, then the Gundan robots burst in and cause havoc. Then The Doctor and Romana suddenly leap forward to the present and are surrounded by Rorvik's men.
    Even though you have no idea what's happening it still feels thrilling and dramatically important.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I never said it wasn't! I didn't comment on "Caves".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is AGMGTW I suspected a little before but it was still a great ending.
    Love how the doctor reacts when he finally realises who and what she really is. Stunned ,relieved and then excited about their future together. Plus Amy and Rory being shocked to the core and River/Melody praying her parents won't reject her.

But her parents then spend most of the second half of the series having seemingly forgotten all about her!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about anyone else but it was before my time so when watching The Space Museum for the first time I sort of knew The Daleks were going to be in the next story and at the end of this one, so it was no surprise!:D

Forgot also to mention The Daleks appearing at the end of Army Of Ghosts. Though I'd read about them cropping up somewhere it had been some months before it was shown so I'd forgotten it about by this time. So it was still quite an exciting surprise to see them!

But that doesn't mean it isn't a great cliffhanger, one of the all time best. And even if you knew "The Chase" was up next, it doesn't mean you would know that the Daleks would be in the cliffhanger to "The Space Museum" - as a comparison, they are not featured at the end of "Planet of Giants".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two WTF! cliffhangers:

Deadly Assassin Ep.1 - The Doctor runs up to the balcony to stop someone shooting the President, then picks up the gun and seems to shoot the President himself.

Warriors Gate Ep.3 - The Doctor's having a nice feast during the time of the Tharils reign, then the Gundan robots burst in and cause havoc. Then The Doctor and Romana suddenly leap forward to the present and are surrounded by Rorvik's men.
    Even though you have no idea what's happening it still feels thrilling and dramatically important.

"Well Doctor this is a surprise" - one of my all time favourite lines!
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said it wasn't! I didn't comment on "Caves".

Well you can say it wasn't now if you like.

We're told that Sharaz Jek makes androids. We're shown him viewing the Doctor and Peri and being impressed. He then sets out his tools and orders two androids to join him. We see a figure sneak into the cell holding the Doctor and Peri from a secret entrance. The next time the two are shown they've switched from talking about their predicament to standing bolt upright and staring.

What do people want, a five minute cutaway with someone explaining the action very slowly through dialogue?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Always "This is the story of how I died."

Even though, really, it didn't happen. I was still like wow.

As well as the end of the Donna era."Said... Bad Wolf." Cue dramatic music.
  • 16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earthshock is probably my favorite.

The Stolen Earth cliffhanger was immense, but it was ruined by that stupid hand at the beginning of Journey's End.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    Well you can say it wasn't now if you like.

We're told that Sharaz Jek makes androids. We're shown him viewing the Doctor and Peri and being impressed. He then sets out his tools and orders two androids to join him. We see a figure sneak into the cell holding the Doctor and Peri from a secret entrance. The next time the two are shown they've switched from talking about their predicament to standing bolt upright and staring.

What do people want, a five minute cutaway with someone explaining the action very slowly through dialogue?

Strange post, are you sure you are replying to the right post??
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange post, are you sure you are replying to the right post??

Just badly written, I think. I appreciate you've not expressed an opinion either way but that means us pro-Cavesters get a chance to pitch for you to join our team, right?