Options

Best ever Doctor Who cliff hanger - ever ever ever??

13»

Comments

• Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    Just badly written, I think. I appreciate you've not expressed an opinion either way but that means us pro-Cavesters get a chance to pitch for you to join our team, right?

Oh OK. For the record, I'm definitely on the pro-Caves team! :)
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that doesn't mean it isn't a great cliffhanger, one of the all time best. And even if you knew "The Chase" was up next, it doesn't mean you would know that the Daleks would be in the cliffhanger to "The Space Museum" - as a comparison, they are not featured at the end of "Planet of Giants".

I never said it wasn't a great cliffhanger. You asked why no-one mentioned it, my answer was just indicating that from my point of view, and possibly some others, that because it was before my time,we therefore knew about the cliffhanger.

Also, I think The Chase was released on video before The Space Museum and therefore the rerunning of that cliffhanger was there at the start anyway, so I knew what was coming at the end of The Space Museum when I first watched it.

If you were lucky enough to watch it at the time, then yes, I daresay it would have been a great conclusion to the story to whet your appetite for the following week.

:)
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daleks appearing at the end of Army of Ghosts.

Well, when you forget the Dalek rays in the trailer. But I kind of did by the time I watched the episode. :D
  • Options
    ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Logopolis" Ep 2 ........ Shrinking TARDIS :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Army of Ghosts. Despite the fact I read a few weeks earlier the Daleks were going to battle the Cybermen and the appearance of the Dalek ray in the next time trailer, I was completely shocked when the Daleks emerged from the void ship. The scene still gives me goosebumps today. Also, Bad Wolf in Turn Left. Again, it should have been obvious the two words Rose said were "Bad Wolf", but when Donna said those words I was gobsmacked. However, by the time of The End of Time, I was getting tired of cliffhangers that relied on the shock factor of something or someone returning.

Series 5's cliffhangers lacked a bit of oomph in my opinion...the cliffhanger in the angels episode was ruined by Graham Norton and ended on a shot of the Doctor shooting the gravity orb (which just confused me at the time) and the cliffhanger in the Silurian two parter was finding a huge civilization under the Earth...which wasn't actually very dramatic because there was hardly any build up towards it in the scene. The cliffhanger in The Pandorica Opens was brilliant however...the Doctor was locked in a inescapable prison and the universe actually ended! I also loved the timey-wimey paradox resolution despite the fact others hated it.