Options

What would you do in this situation?

Comments

• Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    MrMen1 wrote: »
    No paedo is leaving anywhere near be. I would make it's life hell.
    And this OP is why it's not your job to announce it to the your select group. Some may be like this self-appointed arbiter of how the law is enforced & upheld in this country.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet your knuckles are raw from dragging on the pavement.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bet they're terrified.

Right on Toby, word up.
  • Options
    Chirpy_ChickenChirpy_Chicken Posts: 1,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, i have decided not to do anything!
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or it could be he has children.
  • Options
    Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How do you know that a Paedophile isn't living near you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    As legal as gossiping is. If anything happened to the person there could be comeback for you I guess.
    Really?, in what way?, so if i sent a letter to the people on the street etc?, saying here is the information, only to be used to make a decision about protecting any children and not for any other use.
    If someone goes after the offender and a serious crime takes place (GBH, manslaughter, murder etc), you could then be charged with "inciting" the crime and convicted under joint enterprise laws. I agree that getting legal advice is the best thing to do.

Please ignore advice such as this OP, it is totally incorrect and the poster appears to have no practical legal knowledge. Under the circumstances you describe you would not be guilty of incitement or of any other crime of a similar nature
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bet he stands in front of a mirror, saying, "You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? There's no one else here, you must be talkin' to me." à la de Niro.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please ignore advice such as this OP, it is totally incorrect and the poster appears to have no practical legal knowledge. Under the circumstances you describe you would not be guilty of incitement or of any other crime of a similar nature

So you are a lawyer, right ?
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You havent said OP, what sort of child sex offence this is. How old was the child and how old was the perpetrator?

It might have been a case of an older teen, having sex with a younger teen but underage and then prosecuted for that. Not necessarily someone who is going to abuse younger children or perpetrate forced sexual activity on someone.

Either way, no I dont think you should say anything, the person will be monitored by the authorities.

Have you informed your neighbours of any other people in the neighbourhood with a criminal history such as burglary or car theft ?
  • Options
    cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Consider that the person has learned his lesson, is trying to live a quite normal life and you get him chased out of your area. Like minded people do the same and after several incidents he thinks "there's no point in trying" and assaults another child. How will you feel when he stands up in court and uses you as mitigation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you are a lawyer, right ?

Over 30 years service as a Police officer, nearly all as a detective okay?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

thanks for information, the website I linked to indicates that you could get in trouble for realising the information and to talk to your local police first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    As a parent I understand your concern but even if there was no convicted paedophile listed in your area there could still be one, just not convicted. Knowing there is a convicted one shouldn't really make much difference when it comes to educating your kids about being out and about with no parent around supervising them. But I do totally understand why people want to tell others with kids so they can make sure they give this person a wide berth.

I think i'll be pretty paranoid anyway tbh when he's old enough to be out on his own but i'd like to know who to be extra wary of as you can't watch your child all the time. sure anyone can be a pedophile but i'd like to be as wary as possible without being too fearful to allow my child to leave the house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for information, the website I linked to indicates that you could get in trouble for realising the information and to talk to your local police first.

The website you linked to deals with a different scenario than the one painted by the OP though:

"The Child Sex Offenders Disclosure Scheme enables parents, guardians and third parties to enquire whether a person who has access to a child, is a registered sex offender, or poses a risk to that child. Consideration will also be given to disclosing information about a person who poses a risk to a vulnerable adult(s)."

The OP simply asks if they can inform other neighbours that a convicted child sex offender is living in their street, and the answer is 'yes they can'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP simply asks if they can inform other neighbours that a convicted child sex offender is living in their street, and the answer is 'yes they can'.

The question is not 'can they do it', the question is 'should they it'. With the disclosure scheme. the answers appears to be to check with local police first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The question is not 'can they do it', the question is 'should they it'. With the disclosure scheme. the answers appears to be to check with local police first.

Which is irrelevant to this case scenario as the OP did not learn about the sex offender through the disclosure system, attention to detail is important. In any case the link you provided is not official in any way, and the advice / opinions they offer have no legal clout.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "okay?" seems like the equivalent of sticking your tongue out.
  • Options
    SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fanielle wrote: »
    Maybe call your local police station and ask them for their advice.

What was he convicted off? Do you know if his conviction was later overturned? Would you be able to live with yourself if someone took it upon themselves to seriously hurt or kill him?

On the other hand, could she live with herself if some other child was subsequently abused by this person?
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    I think i'll be pretty paranoid anyway tbh when he's old enough to be out on his own but i'd like to know who to be extra wary of as you can't watch your child all the time. sure anyone can be a pedophile but i'd like to be as wary as possible without being too fearful to allow my child to leave the house.

Most child abusers aren't outside the house though
  • Options
    FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadeyed wrote: »
    On the other hand, could she live with herself if some other child was subsequently abused by this person?

Which I addressed in a different post
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is irrelevant to this case scenario as the OP did not learn about the sex offender through the disclosure system, attention to detail is important. In any case the link you provided is not official in any way, and the advice / opinions they offer have no legal clout.

I am surprised you seem to be encouraging the OP, having seen what this can do to a community and a man who was it seemed trying to live lawfully after a spell in prison and on medication to prevent him wanting to reoffend, It wasn't pretty. it want nice and that man is now as far as I am aware no longer in the system and off medication, hiding from everyone. A far more dangerous person now than when we was attending therapy and on medication.
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I'd say you should really think about the people you plan on telling, as much as anything.

I mean, if they're sensible, respectable, people then fine. Let them know.
    If, OTOH, they're the sort of people who're likely to start throwing bricks through people's windows and slashing people's car tyres then maybe it's not such a good idea.

I wonder if there'd be any merit in phoning the cops about it, to find out whether they knew about it, or if they could reassure you?
    At least, that way, you could be assured that the situation was being monitored.

If it was me, I'd think I'd phone the cops and if they refused to discuss it I'd say "Well, if you can't assure me that it's all under control and there's nothing to worry about I'm afraid I have no option but to let people know the truth".

That would be my advice as well, speak to the police first and if you don't feel assured that they are aware of this person and monitoring them, then if you've read the papers know the crime and what age group he was targetting then I would inform the parents in the street who had children in that age group.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most child abusers aren't outside the house though

That right. Most child abuse is by people they know. And that is what telling people is intended to prevent. Anyone letting their child get to know and trust a convicted child abuser.
  • Options
    Chirpy_ChickenChirpy_Chicken Posts: 1,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well as indicated previously i have decided to keep quiet.

Of course if anything changes i will re evaluate the situation.