Options

James Corden and Sir Patrick Stewart in on-stage spat

Comments

• Options
    Robert RomarinRobert Romarin Posts: 11,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In short, a six and two threes...or close to it.

Neither is probably the type to cringe at themselves...but both should if they watch this back.
  • Options
    BritishHoboBritishHobo Posts: 2,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Wendal wrote: »
    corden is a fat yob who needs putting down

You sound lovely.
  • Options
    BritishHoboBritishHobo Posts: 2,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    googleking wrote: »
    Corden - utterly talentless (owes all his fame to Ruth Jones) unfunny slob.
    Stewart - legend who's not used to having to deal with such rude muppets.

Maybe he'd have to deal with them less if he wasn't so bloody rude? Just a suggestion.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    What were these two doing at the 'Glamour Awards' anyway.....I can't think of many less glamorous people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, so Stewart shouldn't have said it without knowing how Corden was going to react...but when an acting legend like him shows up to a feeble awards show, you'd expect the host to show some good grace and humour him. Stewart is obviously trying be funny, not malicious.

Much as I dislike him, awards-show veteran Jonathan Ross wouldn't act like this. He'd smile, maybe even laugh and...not take it overly seriously and not then try and insult the guest.

I've seen Corden over-react like this before (The Xtra Factor clip with him ripping into Britney, possibly justifiably, but changing the tone of the programme dramatically). He needs to be a better judge of these situations. He's supposed to be a funny guy*, not an overly sensitive arse.

*Apparently. He's never made me laugh.
  • Options
    Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    Luca wrote: »
    I watched the clip of their cringeworthy disagreement and I thought neither of them came out with too much credit for differing reasons.

In Patrick Stewart's case, I felt he should have not got involved in the first place, realised the kind of vacuous do he was it, presented the wretched award for God knows what to the simpering luvvie who was expecting it, taken his no doubt large fee and aired his contempt for Corden's truculent manner in private.

As for Corden, his reaction to Stewart's verbal provocation was bordering on the threatening with his school playground bullyesque eyeballing of what is a man aged nearly 70, egged on by his very large gang (err...sorry, the audience). It was during that particular moment (the gross invasion of Stewart's personal space by Corden) that I hoped and I prayed Stewart would stick one on him and leave him sprawling and red-faced on the floor.

Anyone observing the scene in more depth could see the fear in Corden's eyes after Patrick Stewart had showed him that even after his foul-mouthed, in-yer-face routine he was still prepared to stand his ground and say his piece. Corden tried to mask it, but it was there to see. I didn't see that same fear in Stewart.

As I said at the beginning, both of them came out badly from this. Stewart for starting the thing originally, then by making personal remarks to Corden about his weight, and Corden for behaving like Gripper Stebson from Grange Hill and in particular for his use of foul language (the refuge of the witless) after Stewart had dared to lecture him about what he saw as his dismissive body language throughout the night. Overall, they should both be ashamed of themselves for what happened.

People say Corden has no talent and make jokes about his weight. Well, he's not my cup of tea, and I think his kind of comedic style/yobbish behaviour would have got him absolutely nowhere thirty or so years ago, but he's clearly popular with younger audiences of today, so you can't just dismiss him an overweight, talentless, arrogant windbag as his detractors seem to want to do, as there is clearly a very well paid market for the likes of Corden at present and much less of Jean-Luc Picard on the telly these days. Equally, though, you wonder whether James Corden will have a fifty year career in show business like Stewart has achieved. Personally, I very much doubt it.

Your perspective is similar to mine. I don't know how anyone can watch that video and completely expunge Corden of wrongdoing on the basis that Stewart made an ill-advised personal comment. Corden's behaviour throughout was egotistical, obnoxious and even threatening. They were both wrong, but life is 10% what happens and 90% how we respond: Corden's responses were very revealing.

You're spot on in your analysis that Corden looked shaken up while despite his yobbish hectoring,Stewart remained implacable. Even as Zoe Saldana accepted her award, you could see Corden was still quite livid as Stewart tried to talk to him. I'll bet Corden isn't used to being shown up these days.

Who'll come out of it worse in the long-term? Well, when Stewart dies, he'll be included in the Oscars obituary tribute, and the BAFTAs will probably give him a long segment. When Corden dies, if he's lucky someone somewhere will say "wasn't he in Gavin and Stacey"? So treating Stewart with such disdain did make him look a bit silly.
  • Options
    soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're spot on in your analysis that Corden looked shaken up while despite his yobbish hectoring,Stewart remained implacable. Even as Zoe Saldana accepted her award, you could see Corden was still quite livid as Stewart tried to talk to him. I'll bet Corden isn't used to being shown up these days.
    I agree JC looked really put out - but who wouldn't be? How would any one react when very publicly admonished and treated like a naughty kid.?
    PS was so wrong to have made such a personal remark on the podium like that - pure arrogance imo.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the various threads on DS we can see where the support for James Corden lies.

Corden is a yob in his heart, it's not an act. He does the smiley-smiley thing but it's just a mask for a nasty bullying person underneath. He has self-esteem issues obviously.

But it won't affect his core support at all, however his mainstream success is probably over.

He's like a "comedic" Vinny Jones.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    In the various threads on DS we can see where the support for James Corden lies.

Corden is a yob in his heart, it's not an act. He does the smiley-smiley thing but it's just a mask for a nasty bullying person underneath. He has self-esteem issues obviously.

But it won't affect his core support at all, however his mainstream success is probably over.

I've seen little support for Corden on any thread.

I can't stand him myself - he is the least funny comedian ever - but I also don't find personal abuse amusing either.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. He looked really annoyed that Patrick Stewart was being so rude and embarassing. I mean, how would these people have reacted? You'd be pretty taken aback to have that happen in front of so many people, and it'd be quite difficult to think up some gold standard quip right there. Who cares who's more of a 'legend'? That was downright rude of Patrick Stewart and I hope he's ashamed.

I would humbly suggest that there's no room left in that towering thespian ego for anything as common as shame.

Fight the good fight, Sir P - even if you do look like an total knob while you're doing so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    I just think Patrick Stewart could have had a quiet word with him off-stage and not tried to humiliate him in front of the other guests. Also, was Patrick Stewart pissed?

Didn't think James Corden's reaction was very clever, or in the least bit funny. In fact I thought his demeanour became quite threatening. Where's Mr Worf when you need him?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patrick Stewart was just rude and not at all funny
    I'm not a huge James fan (although I loved Gavin and Stacey) but I think he handled himself very well in the situation
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smerph wrote: »
    Ok, so Stewart shouldn't have said it without knowing how Corden was going to react...but when an acting legend like him shows up to a feeble awards ...
    Oh please - what's with all the 'legend' rubbish? Rude is rude.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hallam wrote: »
    I think Corden showed alot of restraint actually, I'd have decked the idiot if he'd come out with that stuff at me.

Yes, and decking a 69 year old guy would be very big of you wouldn't it? That makes you sound even dimmer than Corden. Didn't realise it was possible, but there you go.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because nothing says glamour more than your gut hanging out.
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine Patrick was bored and annoyed at the show but he shouldn't have got involved. He just came across as rude and then that set Corden off into one of his cringeworthy witterings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    It always baffles me when people say that they actually "hate" someone. Unless you know them personally and they have done you a disjustice there is no reason to. You may not find corden funny, or believe that he is talentless, but that is no reason to hate him. He has written one of the best comedy series in recent years and has done an incredible amount for sport relief. Wow, he must be a really bad person. And please, so what if he is overweight, it beggars belief that this is still a problem for people. No wonder there is so mucb pressure on the youth of today to look good when someone apparently as recently successful as him, is being slate for the way he looks. Would have pavarotti turning in his grave.
  • Options
    ChwastChwast Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    garywh wrote: »
    Yes, and decking a 69 year old guy would be very big of you wouldn't it?

probably not, but it would have been funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

He's got a bit of the Jade Goodys about him.

A slob, but some people love slobs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Corden isn't my cup of tea, and Smithy is my least favourite Gavin & Stacey character because of him, but Stewart was rude to him first which there really was no need for so he got everything that came to him including the dying joke, regardless of how famous or good an actor he is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have just watched this on TM and it was in fact Sir Patrick that was rude.....James was polite after the first insult and then SP added more fuel to the fire and then James added his "dying"...as in on his arse comment!

Nice work James....Patrick, learn some manners!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is there any possibility that this was a hoax that only the 2 of them were privy to?
  • Options
    Gemski08Gemski08 Posts: 6,256
    Forum Member
    WHO1 wrote: »
    It always baffles me when people say that they actually "hate" someone. Unless you know them personally and they have done you a disjustice there is no reason to. You may not find corden funny, or believe that he is talentless, but that is no reason to hate him. He has written one of the best comedy series in recent years and has done an incredible amount for sport relief. Wow, he must be a really bad person. And please, so what if he is overweight, it beggars belief that this is still a problem for people. No wonder there is so mucb pressure on the youth of today to look good when someone apparently as recently successful as him, is being slate for the way he looks. Would have pavarotti turning in his grave.

Totally agree with this.
    I find some of James Cordens stuff funny..other stuff not so much.
    I like the fact he does alot for charity and is totally behind the boys for the world cup...none of that makes him worthy of hatred.
    I dont think either of them came out too well, PS made an arse of himself and then wouldnt leave it alone...JC looked embarrassed and then annoyed and tried to be funny with his reaction, but ended up looking a tit too, having just watched it on TM.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Admittedly Patrick Stewart did seem to be having an off night and acted like a bit of a pillock with that comment.

But then James Cordon has been acting like a pillock of mega proportions since the beginning of time. So I say he's the loser of the two.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    All this does is convince me all the more that Ruth Jones wrote the lion's share of G&S. While I didn't like the show, there were a few laughs to be had. Clearly if he was a comedian of any talent he could and would have defused the situation.

Alas, he is an actor and not a comedian. He also seems incredibly arrogant and hypocritical.