Options

Rehoming a cat

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
Forum Member
Hi :)

I was wondering if experienced cat owners could offer some tips and advice.

I have offered to rehome my friend's ragdoll cat, she's about 2 years old (and absolutely gorgeous!). My friend is moving in to sheltered accommodation due to her disability and is not allowed to take a pet with her, she wanted someone she knows to look after her so she can still visit and keep in touch.

The only problem is, I have never owned a cat before :o I understand the basics, and of course my friend will fill me in on her likes/dislikes and general routine. But I was wondering how long I should wait after she's settled before letting her out to play? (worried she'll get lost in a strange environment) and how to help her settle in - like if she becomes distressed how to calm her and show her that I'm there to look after her? Or anything that might make the move easier for her?

I have all summer free so I can give her all the love and attention she needs before I start uni in Sept, my sister lives with me so she can look after her for me during the day when I'm out.

Thanks for reading, if you have any advice I'd be really grateful! :)

Comments

• Options
    flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only ever had the cats I have now and they have been with me since they were kittens so I guess I probably can't offer too much advice on how to handle your situation but would just like to say it's a lovely thing you are doing to take your friends cat in. You obviously are very serious about looking after the cat and making her feel at home so you are already half way there. Cats are truely lovely pets to have. She will take a little while to get used to her new surroundings but once she knows there is love and food there for her I'm sure she'll settle just fine. Cats are on their own terms so if you pick her up and she struggles, just let her down. She will come to you as and when she chooses. You might find she hides away a bit a first but just be patient and when she feels ready she will come to you. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful but like I said I've had mine from kittens so they've only ever known me. There will be some good advice given to you on here but in the meantime Welcome to the world of being a cat slave. You'll love it.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you :)

Is it weird that I feel nervous? She's a huge fluffy thing yet I'm worried I'll break her or do something wrong! I guess I'll play it by ear when she arrives, let her do her own thing, give her whatever she needs and back off a little. I've researched her breed a bit and it seems they're mostly indoor cats - I'll make sure I check all this with my friend, but that would make life a lot easier if she is as I live quite close to a busy road.

Thanks for replying, I'm really excited now!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's really good of you to take in your friend's cat. I bet it's a great relief to your friend to know that her cat is going to be well looked after & I bet you'll love having a cat in your life too:).

If the cat has been used to going outside it may be a bit difficult to keep her indoors only. But for the first week or so, until she settles in, it would be best to keep her indoors anyway.

The basic requirements for a cat are:
    • Warmth ~ cats evolved to live in warm, dry climates so they don't take to being cold! So comfy beds in different places, preferably off the ground, in quiet areas & out of drafts. Beds don't have to be the expensive specially designed cat beds ~ sometimes an old towel or blanket, or a cardboard box lined with something soft, is just as good. The cat will choose where it wants to sleep, so when she's established her favourite sleeping place(s), you can remove any unused "beds".
    • Safety/security ~ cats like routine, quiet, not too many visitors when they first move to a new house, so keep things low key & calm for a while ~ no wild parties!
    • Litter tray ~ they usually prefer a fine-grained litter & a tray large enough to turn round in, placed in a quiet, secluded area. Perhaps ask your friend if the cat currently uses a litter tray & if so, can you have it along with any spare litter.
    • Water ~ fresh every day. It doesn't have to be placed next to the food if this isn't convenient for you, but as long as the cat knows where it is, that should be fine.
    • Food ~ ask your friend what the cats eats & try to stick to the same thing for a while. If you want to introduce new foods, wait till the cat has settled in & got used to her new home.
    • Scratching post ~ does the cat use one now? If so, can you have it? If not, you may need to watch that the cat doesn't scratch your furniture/carpets. You can try providing a suitable scratching post but you may need to put it in a prominant location to start with to encourage her to use it.
    • Toys ~ as she's only a young cat it's likely that she'll want play a fair bit. This is really practising & honing her predatory skills. So you should provide toys for her & ask your friend for any favourite toys. They don't need to be expensive; empty cotton reels, ping pong balls, bits of screwed up paper tied to string etc are just as good. It would also probably help you & your sister bond with the cat if you engage her in play, rather than just expect her to get on with it herself.
    • Grooming ~ as she's a long-haired cat, she may need some help with grooming. Hopefully your friend has already got her used to being brushed, but if not, you should try to introduce gentle grooming in a positive way. Even if she doesn't need help now, it's highly likely she will as she gets older & isn't as supple. If you get her used to it now as an enjoyable experience, it will make it much easier to help her when she gets older.
    • Settling in & bonding ~ calm, quiet behaviour from you & your sister will help. Don't stare at her with wide eyes (this is a threatening sign in the feline world!) but just glance & look away & use slow blinks as this is a friendly sign for cats. If you watch her, hopefully she'll give you some slow blinks back:). Another useful thing you & your sister can do is try hand feeding her with extremely tasty treats (e,g, chicken, ham, tuna, cheese) that she only gets from your hands. I find this works really well as a bonding exercise & to help the cat see you as the "bringer of all things good"! It also helps to get her to come to you when called (especially important if she's going to go outdoors) & will make the cat perceive you as someone very nice to be with:)
    • Is she microchipped? If so, you'll need your friend to contact the microchip company to change the details. If not, it would be a good idea to get her chipped in case she ever strays.
    • I'm assuming she's spayed ~ if not, seriously consider getting her done. A female cat in season is not very nice to live with!
    • Get her registered with your vet unless you will continue to use your friend's vet. Even then, you should contact that vet to let them know you are now the owner.
    T

There are plenty of books & articles on cat care & cat behaviour but if you want some easy reading & some interesting but accurate info on cat behaviour, then the books by Vicky Halls are very good.

Best of luck with the new addition to your family & I hope she settles in well.
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    If your friend is anything like most cat owners, she will give you a long list of the cat's likes and dislikes;) :D So a chat with her should be all you need really. She will also give you her bedding, scratch post, bowls, litter tray etc, so she should have her own little empire when she arrives.:D

It would be a good idea to stay with the same vet for the time being (if you are in the same area). She will need vaccinating, de-fleaing and worming even if she is an indoor cat btw.

All cats are different - do you already 'know' her? She will let you know if she wants to be picked up/sit on your lap/be fussed etc, so let her set the pace.

If you are interested in learning more about cat behaviour, I agree a book would be a good idea. Claire Bessant and Vicky Halls are both good authors.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    most ragdolls are indoor cats due to the nature of the breed i know as i have 2 also my insurance doesn't cover mine if they are let out again due to the breed
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    I would prepare yourself for a few days of (ultimately futile) worry.

Mogs will probably "hate" her new home (it will be full of unfamiliar smells) and may take a couple of weeks to finally accept the new place.

She may hide for a few days (under a bed or even under a bush in the garden if the weather is dry / warm).

If she does, just be patient, give her space, leave food water where she can sneak to it un-noticed.

Other than the food and water, ignore her unless she approaches you. In which case obviously respond positively.

Of course non of the above may happen. But do be prepared for it, as it can.

Enjoy your new owner!:D
  • Options
    MirelaMirela Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm re-homing a cat using the Scottish Cat Protection Agency charity so this advice will be of use to me as well. Like the OP, I've been around plenty of cats but never owned one myself :) Someone from the charity is coming out to my house this afternoon, to discuss things and to show me pictures of the cats that would suit me :D
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    most ragdolls are indoor cats due to the nature of the breed i know as i have 2 also my insurance doesn't cover mine if they are let out again due to the breed

That's a good point - insurance.
    Definitely worth looking into getting pet insurance for the cat so that if she is ever ill or injured you won't have to worry about sky high vet bills. There is a large choice of pet insurers now, Pet Plan is the best known, ours are with Pet Protect which is slightly cheaper. (There are many other insurers who offer cheaper premiums but most won't accept pedigrees.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when i rehomed my 2 cats i was told to keep them in for 6 weeks before letting them out
  • Options
    muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fostered a cat for a while and it was terrified, and she needed a lot of patience. The cat has to amke the decision to come to you and not the other way around, also one thing I did get was a plug in Pheramone (apologies for spelling) and that really helped to relax the cat. By week 8 she was sitting on my knee and watching TV (of her own accord) she had previously had no human interaction and the woner also had a dog that kept her permanently under the bed.

Lots of warmth, continuity, a bed that feels safe ie a pet carried with lots of blankets around it and in it and say in the lounge so you are there and it can mooch as and when it wants

Rag Doll cats are wonderful you may be surprised! :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you so much everyone for the brilliant advice! I really, really appreciate it. I have taken all comments on board. I will see if my library stocks the books recommended.

I am looking in to pet insurance, being a student I don't want to end up with a massive vet bill that I won't be able to afford. I checked with my friend and she is an indoors cat, so that's fine. :)

I am so excited. I have the urge to go out and buy loads of toys and blankets for her, hehe. She's going to be so spoiled!