Options

Phone scam

cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
Forum Member
✭✭
A friend rang me today saying some scam company would help to stop unwanted calls for a payment, asking for her card details. She, being normally a vigilent person was nearly taken in, but declined the offer in time.

I advised her to report it.
These scams make me mad as I feel for some of the elderly and vulnerable out there. I now leave my phone on answering, and only pick up when I know who it is. These scumbags never leave a message anyway. >:(>:(>:(

I know this is not a new one, but think in peoples busy hectic lives a reminder would not go amiss.

Comments

• Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got scammed by one of those "No blame, no claim" companies.

When our neighbour’s 15-year-old daughter cut herself climbing our fence, they told me to take a photo of her gash. Guess who’s in court tomorrow.
  • Options
    ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    These phone scams are getting pretty nasty now. I get them a lot, infrequently, and the latest one, is, said caller claiming they are the bailiffs, are coming round, to my house, in an hours time, with a court order, over an unpaid bill, from two years ago, which had been gaining interest over that time. I had no notification from these people, I had told him so, but I was taken in by that, and I was practically in tears. It got to much for me, in the end, and I hun up on them. They never rang back, or called, but, in hindsight they rang from a mobile phone, which should have made me suspicious.
    The day after, I reported the call to the police and action fraud, and the lady on the phone told me, that this type of call is very common.
    Fortunately, I did not give them any money, I was too incoherent for that, but do be aware of such calls like this, especially if you're in business.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Yes they do still catch people out, but mybe people just need to use a bit of common sense, if a stanger walked up to you in the street and said, give me your bank card or bank card details would people do it. So why people are so willing to do this kind of thing to stangers on the phone or over the internet. I never understand this kind of thinking.
  • Options
    cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Yes they do still catch people out, but mybe people just need to use a bit of common sense, if a stanger walked up to you in the street and said, give me your bank card or bank card details would people do it. So why people are so willing to do this kind of thing to stangers on the phone or over the internet. I never understand this kind of thinking.

Yes I take your point, but I think sadly many could be vulnerable people in our society, or just easily lead.

I thought our Government was going to crack down on these scams? I'm not holding my breath though.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    cal4751 wrote: »
    Yes I take your point, but I think sadly many could be vulnerable people in our society, or just easily lead.

I thought our Government was going to crack down on these scams? I'm not holding my breath though.

Very difficult to crack down on things, that are not based in the uk.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reddybook wrote: »
    These phone scams are getting pretty nasty now. I get them a lot, infrequently, and the latest one, is, said caller claiming they are the bailiffs, are coming round, to my house, in an hours time, with a court order, over an unpaid bill, from two years ago, which had been gaining interest over that time................

Are you sure this wasn't a malicious joke? It's hard to believe anyone would give someone money for a loan they didn't owe, as a result of a court case they didn't know about? What else could they after except money, or possibly valuables.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Yes they do still catch people out, but mybe people just need to use a bit of common sense, if a stanger walked up to you in the street and said, give me your bank card or bank card details would people do.

Sadly it happens - Chuggers have been banned in Edinburgh because of this (though they still appear).