Virgin Media Broadband down (again)

Paul555Paul555 Posts: 1,504
Forum Member
✭✭✭
VM is down again for everyone today. I'm in Cheltenham. The service status page knows about the fault but just keeps putting back the fix time 2 hours

I do not think this is acceptable. Is there anything I can realisticly do to complain? I have tried calling but they cut me off after selecting an option several times. I need a reliable connection for work. But even so I pay a lot for internet and I at least expect it to work when I want to use it

Does anyone know of a correct contact email or phone number. I need to speak with customer services but none of the options will go there (obviously on purpose)

VM broadband always used to be reliable. It maybe went down once a year Recently (in past months, years It has started to go down more and more

What do others think?

Comments

• bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul555 wrote: »
    VM is down again for everyone today. I'm in Cheltenham. The service status page knows about the fault but just keeps putting back the fix time 2 hours

I do not think this is acceptable. Is there anything I can realisticly do to complain? I have tried calling but they cut me off after selecting an option several times. I need a reliable connection for work. But even so I pay a lot for internet and I at least expect it to work when I want to use it

Does anyone know of a correct contact email or phone number. I need to speak with customer services but none of the options will go there (obviously on purpose)

VM broadband always used to be reliable. It maybe went down once a year Recently (in past months, years It has started to go down more and more

What do others think?

Stunned, been a customer for almost 20yrs in various residences and i can count the number of outages on the fingers of one hand, 3. No fan of virginmedia at all but their BB service is exceptional.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is my Virgin broadband today in Bristol... http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3944690363 using the local Virgin server.

This is the same test using any server outside of Bristol... http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3944700062

Only been with VM for 6 months with 6 month to end of contract so if this carries on much longer I may be leaving next June.

Dear TalkTalk, I’m sorry I left you now can you forgive.:o:D
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Im in Bristol and noticed my connection has been shocking for the past few days.

Just did a speed test and got this :O

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3944789254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    Im in Bristol and noticed my connection has been shocking for the past few days.

Just did a speed test and got this :O

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3944789254

Can you do that speed test again but use the server hosted by Virgin in Bristol.

When I do this I get my normal download speeds but use any other server, even the other non Virgin Bristol server and the results I get makes Vodafone 3G look good.:)
    Forum Member
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    Can you do that speed test again but use the server hosted by Virgin in Bristol.

When I do this I get my normal download speeds but use any other server, even the other non Virgin Bristol server and the results I get makes Vodafone 3G look good.:)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3944821630

Normal speed if i use the Virgin hosted server.

Viewing websites and playing the PS4 online is a complete joke!

Cant even watch a 360p Youtube video without buffering after 10 seconds!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What speed do you get if you don’t use a Virgin host?
    Forum Member
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    What speed do you get if you don’t use a Virgin host?

0.83mb for download.
  • reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in BS4, getting 0.2Mbps down, 1.9Mbps up. Complete joke.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im in Cheltenham and I thought it was my wifi, so I plugged in an ethernet cable and I'm still getting issues, I'm getting packet loss about 20% of pings to bbc.co.uk or google are failing, with Youtube buffering and all sorts.

I have been told in the past that my signal levels aren't right and that I might need an attenuator, but as it's never caused an issue before I never bothered getting the engineer out to fit one, but yesterday and today the service has deteriorated, maybe I do need that attenuator? When I call Virgin they have a 30 minute phone wait, and the phone music sounds like it's playing on a connection with packet loss, coincidence!? this is though my mobile network!

I have checked all my cabling, rebooted, done all sorts. So it's either Virgin's issue or my signal levels:

Downstream Channels
    Lock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Rx Power RxMER Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors
    Locked 5 299000000 Hz 256 QAM 3.0 dBmV 39.0 dB 342 294
    Locked 1 267000000 Hz 256 QAM 3.1 dBmV 38.6 dB 341 290
    Locked 2 275000000 Hz 256 QAM 3.2 dBmV 38.6 dB 351 299
    Locked 3 283000000 Hz 256 QAM 3.1 dBmV 38.6 dB 296 279
    Locked 4 291000000 Hz 256 QAM 3.1 dBmV 38.6 dB 304 304
    Locked 6 307000000 Hz 256 QAM 3.3 dBmV 38.6 dB 286 286
    Locked 7 315000000 Hz 256 QAM 2.8 dBmV 39.4 dB 283 283
    Locked 8 323000000 Hz 256 QAM 3.2 dBmV 39.0 dB 997 997

Upstream Channels
    Lock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Tx Power Mode Channel Bandwidth Symbol Rate
    Locked 18 31000000 Hz ATDMA 51.8 dBmV 16QAM 6400000 Hz 5120 Ksym/sec
    NotLocked 0 0 Hz 0 dBmV 0 Ksym/sec
    NotLocked 0 0 Hz 0 dBmV 0 Ksym/sec
    Locked 17 37600000 Hz ATDMA 52.3 dBmV 16QAM 6400000 Hz 5120 Ksym/sec

What do those look like?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A day after I received their letter announcing a service increase of £3.84 per month >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just glad I found this thread, I don't see anything reported on the status page for me though, what about everyone else?
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    I'm in Dudley and my broadband has been down since almost mid-day, it's only came back in the last hour!
  • BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine has been useless all night, in Frome BA11 postcode....and I then spotted social media comments from someone else in the town and also in Trowbridge, which is about six miles up the road.....so this slowness is creeping round!

Sods law as I just got hold of a Hudl 2 tablet and its trying to download an update before I can even start using it and the BB speed keeps it crashing.....

Very frustrating that there seems to be no way of getting through to them and getting a straight answer on when things will be back to a proper speed.
  • GamerGirlGamerGirl Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I posted in the Virginmedia forums as Gloucester has had terrible internet access for a couple of days and has been incredibly slow today.

They now have a services status page showing that they admit there is a problem and are looking into it. Finally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For God's sake, fix it!! If it was our electricity down, we'd expect a fix in within a couple of hours, why should broadband be any different. Virgin brand is just guff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For God's sake, fix it!! If it was our electricity down, we'd expect a fix in within a couple of hours, why should broadband be any different. Virgin brand is just guff.

They now say that last nights work was successful and it went away at 2AM for me.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/News/Bristol-Slow-Speeds-TV-On-Demand/m-p/2558463#M86

http://oi58.tinypic.com/10ok00m.jpg

Here's the problem... They need 5 customers to call in each affected area to recognise it as a fault, but the areas are very local. not like the whole of the Aztec West regional hub area which covers several counties, but more like your local streets!

Finally the VM forum community manger looked through all the threads and posts and put up a status notice at the top for us in acknowledgement, so thank you to him.