Most Overpriced Beer in the World ?

Comments

• darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a city centre Glasgow bar last night , for a 300ml Bud bottle and a 300ml Stella bottle = £7.50

...and not even a glass :confused:

Maybe it's just Glasgow - I was asked £8.79 for 20 cigs last night in the Queen Street Station W.H. Smith shop..enough to make you give up.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    panda79 wrote: »
    i like japanese beer and some of that can be on the pricey side tesco sell sapporro in 660 ml cans for £2.75 for 1:)

dearest pint in a bar was 4 quid in italy in 1997
    Apparently Mr Cowell orders Sapporo by the crate load
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    A couple of places round here charge £4.50 for a 500ml bottle of Kopperberg. Dearest pint I can think of is £3.70 for Strongbow in a restaurant.
  • Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    panda79 wrote: »
    i like japanese beer and some of that can be on the pricey side tesco sell sapporro in 660 ml cans for £2.75 for 1:)

dearest pint in a bar was 4 quid in italy in 1997

A bar in Bergen, Norway (in 2001) charged me £12.50 for two pints of Guiness. Me and her had a wild night out and spent £25 on two pints each.
    The bowling club in the village near here charges £2.10 for a pint of lager, heavy(bitter) or cider. For £25, two can have several pints each and have some left for crisps.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    I regularly pay 4.55 a pint for Peroni in Rowlands Castle, yes it's expensive but it's a damn fine pint so what the hey.....
    It's lager, so it's pretty much the same as every other mass-produced pasteurised lager.

Lagers are served ice cold, so that the coldness stuns your taste-buds and you can't taste it properly.

You'd be as well drinking a cheapo own-brand supermarket lager straight out the fridge.

Back on topic - I was charged £20 for two pints of lager many years ago! It was a Soho strip club, right enough! I shudder to think what they charge these days!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Paying anything for a pint of carlsberg would make it the most expensive beer in the world.......probably
  • ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just come back from Singapore. It was $12 (£6) for a small glass (about half pint) of draught Tiger Beer.
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »
    It's lager, so it's pretty much the same as every other mass-produced pasteurised lager.

Lagers are served ice cold, so that the coldness stuns your taste-buds and you can't taste it properly.

You'd be as well drinking a cheapo own-brand supermarket lager straight out the fridge.

Back on topic - I was charged £20 for two pints of lager many years ago! It was a Soho strip club, right enough! I shudder to think what they charge these days!

Oooh get you, sorry but i'm not ready to grow a beard, wear a cardigan and sup 'real' ale with a 'humorous' name like Badgers Bollocks just yet.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I paid £35 for a shot of whisky a few years back. Well, when I say paid.............they forgot to put it on the bill. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Oooh get you, sorry but i'm not ready to grow a beard, wear a cardigan and sup 'real' ale with a 'humorous' name like Badgers Bollocks just yet.

:D:D:D
  • TequilaTequila Posts: 5,111
    Forum Member

Not even if the real ale pump clip has a drawing of a naked female on it? ;)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently paid about £8 for a pint during a stopover at Dubai Airport. I didn't have any local currency on me so paid with a credit card. When I got the bill it took me ages to remember what it was for.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    it`s almost a fiver a pint here unless you go to dosserheads, that sounds about right for bottled beer here.

Where is 'here'?
    Forum Member
    davidl8 wrote: »
    wow that is a lot!! you could get 2 bottles of wine for that much.

Not in a pub you couldn't.
    Forum Member
    Tequila wrote: »
    I think Budvar is quite tolerable...

Budvar is great. I think they were talking about the sham outfit that is American Budweiser.
    Forum Member

Rubbish, There is a world of difference between supermarket own brand and something like Peroni or Heineken.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    I bought a pint of Guinness and a glass of white wine on Friday and got 15p change from a tenner.

Didnt stay in that bar long
  • trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a litre of Kroenenburg in a restaurant in Paris for 16 Euros, bargain!
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    There is a world of difference between supermarket own brand and something like Peroni or Heineken.
    No, there's not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, there's not.

I've done a blind taste test of many lagers and there is a difference between brands. Some are more distinctive than others but make no mistake, it is possible to taste the difference between brands.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    I've done a blind taste test of many lagers and there is a difference between brands. Some are more distinctive than others but make no mistake, it is possible to taste the difference between brands.

It's possible to tell cat's from rat's but that's no reason to drink either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's possible to tell cat's from rat's but that's no reason to drink either.

I can't be arsed getting into a debate about "proper" drinks to be honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    There's a bar in Bristol where they don't serve pints or bottles. All you cant get is shorts or a 2,3 or 4 pint jug of beer, which costs £8 for 2 pints, £12 for 3 etc. Presumably it's to keep the pub crawlers away.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    There's a bar in Bristol where they don't serve pints or bottles. All you cant get is shorts or a 2,3 or 4 pint jug of beer, which costs £8 for 2 pints, £12 for 3 etc. Presumably it's to keep the pub crawlers away.

I was under the impression that pubs had to sell pints?
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    I can't be arsed getting into a debate about "proper" drinks to be honest.

Good. As to the thread, I have no objection to paying four or five pounds for a half pint of craft beer,it's usually worth it. We are, I hope, at last appreciating that a skillfully brewed beer is just as worthy and sophisticated as the 'fine wines' and spirits which people are more or less encouraged to aspire towards drinking, and to pay large sums to do so.