Dara O'Briain: School of Hard Sums (Tue, 10pm, Dave)

AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone else watching this?

I like maths problems but has anyone seen anything more boring than this shite?

Comments

• brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fast-forward through it. Generally the comedians don't have much to contribute on the maths side (and are often proud of their inability), and most of them don't have enough spontaneous wit to be funny, either. With 3 maths puzzles in an hour, the actual content is very diffuse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Anyone else watching this?

I like maths problems but has anyone seen anything more boring than this shite?

Yes, I love it - something un-ashamedly intelligent...if you don't like maths or puzzles then it will not be for you...anyway, thanks for posting as I hadn't realised it was back on TV.
  • WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caught one the other night and even with Lee Mack and Miles Jupp, it managed to seem very subdued and completely out of place on Dave. Minimal noise from audience, very little interaction with the Uni types in the corner (aside from the uber serious blonde haired girl. Why are they there?) and the bald professor guy just comes across as 'that guy', an uncle who wanders over to you when you're with friends talking about fast cars and women to discuss how your A-level homework's going.

Buzz Killington.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I like it. I don't think the comedians add much but they're only there to show the non-maths way of working out the puzzles. I suppose they could have two sets of students to do that.

It was funny the other night as the coin puzzle was on and earlier in the day there was a Comumbo epiosde on where he solved the same puzzle :D
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's close to jumping the shark. This is the third series, isn't it? It is obviously harder to find decent puzzles that fit a 'theme'. Might be better to just drop the whole idea of a theme.

And I know this is a sensitive issue, but I really don't understand Dara when he's all excited and talks fast. It's hard enough to decipher his words when he's talking normally. Throw in all the maths words and expressions, and surely most people are at a loss.

If this show isn't doing it for you, I could highly recommend any of the "recreational maths" books by Martin Gardner. Many of the puzzles in this show are taken from those books, and explained better therein.
    Forum Member
    I've noticed in the last two episodes they've had things that have appeared on QI.

A last week it was the object that always returned to the same position and this week was the shape that could be a circle, triangle and square.

Just thought it was a bit of a coincidence. I can't remember if Dara appeared on those QI episodes.
    Forum Member
    It might be another coincidence but again they showed a tool that has previously been on QI.
    The tool that can drill a square hole
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuleaux_triangle

Also they discussed how markings on animals happen but there has just been a study for why
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/why-do-zebras-have-stripes-biologists-say-they-finally-have-the-answer-9232098.html