The Leona Lewis Appreciation Thread (Part 20)

C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
Forum Member
✭✭✭
david_f wrote: »
Apropos of nothing:

The two biggest selling albums worldwide released in 2007 were Rihanna's and Leona's.

For the follow-up albums Leona debuted on radio her first single Happy 6 weeks before Rihanna debuted on radio her first single Russian Roulette. Since those dates Rihanna has released three videos to support the album, Leona one.

AFAIK, the haphazard approach to Rihanna's album release has been widely criticised. It's not like her sales are anything special so far (especially when so much was expected). Rude Boy is only her second proper single here and it was on the A List and very high on itunes without a video.

And the fact remains that she, Ke$ha, Alicia Keys and the Black Eyed Peas are all commercial pop artists without videos who have made appearances on the Radio 1 A List (B in the case of BEP).

I don't see the point on blaming all the ills in the world on the lack of a video when there's plainly an issue that Radio 1 don't really like the song, video or no video. That's a problem.

Hopefully the video will push the song up itunes when it emerges (and I expect it will - Top 40?). And R1 might B list it for release week.
I agree up to a point. But why has it gone wrong? WE know Happy was a bad choice, but J didn't even seem keen back then. Surely if they were not happy with the album content they'd have done something? either get some other tracks recorded or delayed the album?

They did make changes. They dropped "Naked" and "SCYHO" and included "Fly Here Now" and "You Don't Care" plus they've effectively dropped IGY as a single. They've also varied from the UK singles and tracklistings in the past.

I'm not sure they could have delayed the album, Syco were probably determined to go with November 09 so J may not have wanted it available in the UK months before the US.
I do agree with you about Syco, but I wonder how hard they push Radio 1 in particular to play her records? Perhaps she's just not the sound they want and Radio 2 is more her thing?

For IGY and Happy, I think R2 is probably more suited. Syco don't push the records, they contract professional pluggers for national radio and regional radio.

OMH would be more directly suited to R1.
I just don't buy it and really someone should be giving us answers. Perhaps it's not just Leona, if the stories about Kelly Clarkson having a go at J and being unhappy are true as well, perhaps it's just J being useless and nothing musically about Echo at all?

Kelly's having a go at RCA (she's not with J). And her problems are more with Clive Davis not liking My December rather than poor promotion. J didn't have a great 2009 even though Whitney's comeback went well. They're now working on Fantasia's return and Monica.
Here's a thought. Who actually pays for her videos? If J generally pick up the tab for them if they are to be a US and europe release (unlike say Run which I guess was probably paid for my Syco) and J have decided to stop all promotion of IGY (which I think was about the time the video was being recorded before xmas I think, didn't people say some US radio stations were saying J were not promoting it?) they may have not wanted to fund the cost of the video being edited and put out if it was only a UK release. So perhaps Syco and J have been arguing over who pays and the people doing the editing won't hand it over until they have the money. I know people think I'm mad suggesting this, but honestly when a delay like this happens money is often at the root of it. If i'm wrong I hope someone from Syco tells us.

It does seem possible. But if it's possible for J to pull funding like that (for something that they must have approved) then they need to sort out the contract!

I don't think anyone from Syco will say anything. It's just fortunate that Larry Jackson has twitter but even he's not saying much (he probably can't... his options are to annoy Barry Weiss, Simon Cowell or Clive Davis... bad idea for anyone at Sony!).

AFAIK, there's nobody senior at Syco on twitter. And there's no chance of them releasing a statement, the last thing they want to do is draw attention to any problems with Leona.
Could it be an issue between Leona's management and J? Remember the comments (I don't know how accurate they are) from James Cameron that he was angry that Leona didn't allow ISY to be a single? Presumably that's a decision with her management as I understand the sound track is on a different label?

I also wonder if J are unhappy with Leona not living in the USA on a full time basis, the comment from Tedder about her being out of the US whilst not being the main reason Happy flopped does cause problems as I'm sure J would like Leona on hand all the time and not have her in London some 12 hours away and when she does turn up in the USA she has a bad voice for a week?

Whatever if Echo is dead in the USA (and mm83 appears right on this) I think it's a shame, as Spiidey said there are some good commercial tracks that would do well, but perhaps J think she just won't get airplay now?

I could maybe see J being annoyed with her management but again, it's just speculation. If they share Tedder's concerns, they may wonder why she was promoting a book in the UK as her single struggled in the US. Or they may be frustrated that a very valuable slot on The Today Show to perform an album track was lost to "I See You".

Comments

• StubeStube Posts: 16,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay part 20! :D

Can this be a positive thread now!!!

;)
  • shatteredglassshatteredglass Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stube wrote: »
    Yay part 20! :D

Can this be a positive thread now!!!

;)

errr.... No
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    AFAIK, the haphazard approach to Rihanna's album release has been widely criticised. It's not like her sales are anything special so far (especially when so much was expected). Rude Boy is only her second proper single here and it was on the A List and very high on itunes without a video.

And the fact remains that she, Ke$ha, Alicia Keys and the Black Eyed Peas are all commercial pop artists without videos who have made appearances on the Radio 1 A List (B in the case of BEP).

I don't see the point on blaming all the ills in the world on the lack of a video when there's plainly an issue that Radio 1 don't really like the song, video or no video. That's a problem.

Hopefully the video will push the song up itunes when it emerges (and I expect it will - Top 40?). And R1 might B list it for release week.

They did make changes. They dropped "Naked" and "SCYHO" and included "Fly Here Now" and "You Don't Care" plus they've effectively dropped IGY as a single. They've also varied from the UK singles and tracklistings in the past.

I'm not sure they could have delayed the album, Syco were probably determined to go with November 09 so J may not have wanted it available in the UK months before the US.

For IGY and Happy, I think R2 is probably more suited. Syco don't push the records, they contract professional pluggers for national radio and regional radio.

OMH would be more directly suited to R1.

Kelly's having a go at RCA (she's not with J). And her problems are more with Clive Davis not liking My December rather than poor promotion. J didn't have a great 2009 even though Whitney's comeback went well. They're now working on Fantasia's return and Monica.

It does seem possible. But if it's possible for J to pull funding like that (for something that they must have approved) then they need to sort out the contract!

I don't think anyone from Syco will say anything. It's just fortunate that Larry Jackson has twitter but even he's not saying much (he probably can't... his options are to annoy Barry Weiss, Simon Cowell or Clive Davis... bad idea for anyone at Sony!).

AFAIK, there's nobody senior at Syco on twitter. And there's no chance of them releasing a statement, the last thing they want to do is draw attention to any problems with Leona.

I could maybe see J being annoyed with her management but again, it's just speculation. If they share Tedder's concerns, they may wonder why she was promoting a book in the UK as her single struggled in the US. Or they may be frustrated that a very valuable slot on The Today Show to perform an album track was lost to "I See You".

Did you read the questions Jackson replied to on his Twitter account? I'm amazed he actually replied, so there is obviously some frustration at something going one, but it seems to me Larry Jackson has made matters worse now by clearly admitting things are not going well (not that we needed to be told that). But it seems to me they have to come clean now, he's the head of the label and has said (not some misquote and the questions the person tweeting him very very clear, Jackson clearly knew what he was saying) something that shows there are problems.

Sorry I thought Kelly was on J, must have been the Clive comments I remember. Cheers.

Video up yet?:D Hand on to that t-shirt order Stube:D:D:D
  • KriskikiKriskiki Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    ^Give it another 20 parts lol.

I'm looking forward to the video! Whenever we see it lol

Eta: Kelly hate's working with a bunch of suits, she's mentioning it even more now, can't be Clive though because he's not in a position of high authority is he? 2 more albums she keeps saying, can't be that bad lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ya! 1st page :)

Go I Got You :)

http://leonalewis.com.br/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Part 19 is actually pretty hilarious. It's from dec 09 to feb 10 which just contains everyone bitching about the labels, management and anticipating the IGY video.

Part 20 should be about praising the IGY video :cool: Actually we'll probably get it in Part 27... or tomorrow :o
    Forum Member
    errr.... No

Especially for Stube:D

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4067/tshirtf.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    Is Leona feeling alright ? she is now talking to the imaginary horse on twitter:
    @Gallacher_Horse I would luv to join u for a picnic in the field I promoise not eat your biscuits tho! about 1 hour ago from OpenBeak

lol ?

Wouldn't it be nice if she gave us some info related to her and/or her career instead of retweeting an imaginary horse ? Leonalewisnews has now unfollowed her.

Is Leona even aware of how badly her team has mishandled the release of this single and just this whole era in general ? doesn's seem like she does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would've preferred it in blue :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mm83 wrote: »
    Is Leona feeling alright ? she is now talking to the imaginary horse on twitter:

lol ?

Nah she's repeating everything it says.
    Forum Member
    Nah she's repeating everything it says.

I know she is...but now she is actually replying to the imaginary horse...
  • RavaneRavane Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leonalewismusic

I was outraged 2 hear that the Brit Awards were planning 2 serve foie-gras at the ceremony. They hav now removed it from the menu,well done!

lol. Don't get blacklisted LeLe. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,129
    Forum Member
    Let's hope they get OMH's release strategy right, presuming that it's the next single. Something like the following would work perfectly:

Late March- Video shoot
    April- Tour rehersals
    Very late April- Video released
    Early May- Tour rehersals
    15th/16th May- BGT performance (should be around the live finals by this time)
    17th May- OMH released
    17th-21st May- OMH promo week
    22nd-27th May- Tour rehersals
    28th May- START OF TOUR
  • andy614andy614 Posts: 45,259
    Forum Member
    Well it's getting on and theres still no sign.....i hope it's not yet ANOTHER false dawn! :(
  • susanne fansusanne fan Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That horse is talking a lot more sense than some on here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know she is...but now she is actually replying to the imaginary horse...

Yeah sorry, i was being thick :D

Erm, maybe i shouldn't associate myself with her for a little while... 9-10 months :eek: :confused:

:p:p:p
    Forum Member
    Sazaleeno wrote: »
    Let's hope they get OMH's release strategy right, presuming that it's the next single. Something like the following would work perfectly:

Late March- Video shoot
    April- Tour rehersals
    Very late April- Video released
    Early May- Tour rehersals
    15th/16th May- BGT performance (should be around the live finals by this time)
    17th May- OMH released
    17th-21st May- OMH promo week
    22nd-27th May- Tour rehersals
    28th May- START OF TOUR

So you basically want them to repeat their mistakes ? A video needs to be out a month before release no later than that.
    Forum Member
    I would've preferred it in blue :o

I was going to do pink (that's Leona's fav colour) but you might have not liked that:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    So you basically want them to repeat their mistakes ? A video needs to be out a month before release no later than that.

Why not, at least it would give them more practice at making mistakes.
    Forum Member
    That horse is talking a lot more sense than some on here.

A horse would make a better job of running her career.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not go round in circles people with these tedious topics. Let's make more inventive shapes...
    Forum Member
    Why not, at least it would give them more practice at making mistakes.

ahh, that's right. Third time is the charm then.
    Forum Member
    video up yet?:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,129
    Forum Member

Nah, I think 3 weeks is perfectly fine if I'm honest. Four weeks may cause the song to peak too early possibly. So in my scenario I would have had the video released 23rd-26th of April which would be just over 3 weeks away from the release.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to do pink (that's Leona's fav colour) but you might have not liked that:D:D:D

Gawd trust her to like pink :D I saw her as a scarlett woman :eek: Based on that SYTYCD IGY performance and album cover.
This discussion has been closed.