Options

General Ident Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should the resumption of BBC2's COTY idents now show "Channel Of The Last Year' ? :D

On a serious note, do you think they are going to continue to show these BBC2 COTY idents, right up until the 2013 Terrestrial Channel Of The Year awards, as far as I know, in about August? That is, assuming they don't win the award again!

I was (kind of) expecting them to have gone back to the regular versions again after the Christmas period, but having said that, I suppose there's no reason why they should have. I don't, personally, expect them to continue to show these COTY versions for another seven months, though.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.Page wrote: »
    Should the resumption of BBC2's COTY idents now show "Channel Of The Last Year' ? :D

On a serious note, do you think they are going to continue to show these BBC2 COTY idents, right up until the 2013 Terrestrial Channel Of The Year awards, as far as I know, in about August? That is, assuming they don't win the award again!

I was (kind of) expecting them to have gone back to the regular versions again after the Christmas period, but having said that, I suppose there's no reason why they should have. I don't, personally, expect them to continue to show these COTY versions for another seven months, though.

Yes the COTY will be renaming I reckon. I don't blame them wanting to show off their reward. Well done to them. BBC Two was great in 2012 so many quality programs. It's got to be the only terrestrial channel that has no trash on what so ever.

Ken
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think there is any posibility of there being a new BBC1 ident made for David Attenborough's major new series 'Africa', first episode being shown tonight at 9:00PM?

BBC1 seem to be keen on making special idents for their major natural history programmes, of late ('Planet Dinosaur', 'Planet Earth: Live').
  • Options
    VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think there is any posibility of there being a new BBC1 ident made for David Attenborough's major new series 'Africa', first episode being shown tonight at 9:00PM?

BBC1 seem to be keen on making special idents for their major natural history programmes, of late ('Planet Dinosaur', 'Planet Earth: Live').

Yep!

http://youtu.be/BIKGZNG13M0
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

(as VirginMediaPhil has pointed out)

New BBC1 Ident: Africa

Featuring vast amounts of Flamingo.

Strange, in a way, as there has been no attempt (as is usually the case) to use footage which naturally works, or harmonises, with the circular BBC1 swirl at form-up.

It is so simple, I'm wondering if each episode is going to be preceded by further idents (of this simplicity) featuring different footage.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like the flamingo footage wasn't shot with the idea it would become an ident- so not preplanned. More a case of 'What can we find that we could use for an ident?'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like the flamingo footage wasn't shot with the idea it would become an ident- so not preplanned. More a case of 'What can we find that we could use for an ident?'

I do agree with you, except that they couldn't find anything totally suitable (i.e. nothing involving aerial shots of 'circular' animal formations, etc), so they just used this footage, after concluding that they can probably 'get away with it'!

It is slightly surprising, as BBC1's other major natural history series of late, 'Planet Dinosaur' and 'Planet Earth: Live', both had much more impressive idents made.

I like the BBC1 swirl in white rather than red, but that's just a personal preference.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    Anyway have you seem the new BBC One 2013 trailers. The end boards are different with a 2013 animation instead of the standard red swirl.

I was hoping that 2013 would get rid of the generic screen-filling red at the end of trailers, but it appears sadly not. Unless this is just a temporary '2013' branding thing before they go for a complete rebrand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New BBC1 Ident: Love 2013

Just seen it before Eastenders - it may have been shown at an earlier junction, though, as I haven't been watching BBC1 closely, today.

It is a departure from the norm, as it does not feature the BBC1 swirl or the BBC One logo in the centre, at form-up. It uses the style at the end of this recent BBC1 trailer (plain red background and small circles forming the 'LOVE 2013'):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dzG_f_vEEs
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And it didn't say BBC One at form up, but Love 2013!

I quite liked it but it must be unique in being the only BBC1 ident, at least in modern era, not to say BBC1!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it didn't say BBC One at form up, but Love 2013!

I quite liked it but it must be unique in being the only BBC1 ident, at least in modern era, not to say BBC1!!

Danny Cohen seems to be big on his advertising campaigns. I think it looked good and BBC One looks to have some really good stuff on this year.

Ken
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC1 'Love 2013' ident can be seen (for a short time only, I presume) using this link and winding back to the Eastenders junction:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/bbcone/live

I didn't catch the start during the actual broadcast, but looking at it properly, I see that the BBC One logo does appear very briefly, but only at the very start of the ident, rather than at form-up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A second BBC1 'Africa' ident shown before episode 2, this evening.

This one features a lake scene, from dusk to night-time.
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is this new LOVE 2013 ident pernement or just seasonal til spring? i get the feeling the BBC does notwant any real change for a bit longer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    is this new LOVE 2013 ident pernement or just seasonal til spring?

I would imagine it is an ident intended for short-term use, and for this season only. They are playing it to death at the moment, possibly indicating a limited lifespan, before shelving it?
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine it is an ident intended for short-term use, and for this season only. They are playing it to death at the moment, possibly indicating a limited lifespan, before shelving it?

If they did variations of it withouit the "Love 2013" tag, it would have been a good temporary quickfix refresh before the "still rumoured and not confirmed" rebrand this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    is this new LOVE 2013 ident pernement or just seasonal til spring? i get the feeling the BBC does notwant any real change for a bit longer?

It sounds like it's broken. Every time it starts, it sounds like the audio tape is warped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    It sounds like it's broken. Every time it starts, it sounds like the audio tape is warped.

I was going to mention this. The beginning of it sounds very reminiscent of pitch instability. What's going on there? Wow and flutter with a digital recording? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yes sounds like that ,i did have a vision of a total rebrand in a space age style a kind of earth like ident as seen from space as we would see the uk weather map but in reallity terms with a more regional view for regional based programmes but the BBC 1 would be more 3D type looking hovering above the uk
  • Options
    Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ident? I call that a 'Promo' or the dreadful Americanisation 'Trailer'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ident? I call that a 'Promo' or the dreadful Americanisation 'Trailer'

surely its a temp ident?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to mention this. The beginning of it sounds very reminiscent of pitch instability. What's going on there? Wow and flutter with a digital recording? :D

It's supposed to sound like that! I like it. Good soundtrack.

Good to see them mixing it up. D.Page what do you think of these new BBC Two end boards popping up! They are old style!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p013x2cb

I love the font and the simplicity of it. No hideous slanted two anywhere to be seen.

Good to see the BBC mixing there presentation up a bit.

Ken
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    D.Page what do you think of these new BBC Two end boards popping up! They are old style!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p013x2cb

I love the font and the simplicity of it. No hideous slanted two anywhere to be seen.

Good to see the BBC mixing there presentation up a bit.

Ken

Yes, I've seen it.

I like!

To be honest, anything different, from what has become quite stale regarding BBC2 presentation, is very welcome!

As discussed before, I am hopeful of a new BBC2 ident coming, as indicated by the end of this trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQqLRw8Ja6s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I've seen it.

I like!

To be honest, anything different, from what has become quite stale regarding BBC2 presentation, is very welcome!

As discussed before, I am hopeful of a new BBC2 ident coming, as indicated by the end of this trailer?

Maybe ready for BBC Two HD in April I think. That trailer ending looks great. Idents that look as good as that would be much appreciated. Isn't amazing how the simple text end board look so much fresher than the slanted two's.

Ken
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I've seen it.

I like!

I just wish they (and all broadcasters) would stop ending trailers by covering up 90% of the trailer with a generic channel card/logo/etc. Just looks so dull.