Playbooks outsold 4th gen ipad in the last quarter of 2012

12346»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to Delamere Forest for the day today, and I was curious as to how the two maps would compare. I've just taken comparison screenshots to demonstrate. As usual, Apple Maps left a lot to be desired.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6pezpso7gfxq9v/2013-05-07%2002.18.02.jpg

This highlights the problem I mentioned earlier with third-party apps. I used Endomondo to track my route, as did my wife who has an iPhone 4 running iOS 5. At the end, her route was overlaid on Google Maps and showed us walking along paths and around the lake. My route was over a map of nothing, since the paths and the lake don't even exist in Apple Maps.

You can also see that the railway line and station aren't visible at that zoom level in Apple Maps.
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    However, the previous Maps app on iOS (the one that used Google, and was removed by Apple) did offer that exact same functionality, instead of kicking you out of the app and requiring you to use another app for public transport (if you're lucky enough to have a public transport app available for your location).

So? Google is a direct competitor to Apple so to expect Apple to support Google's products is naive.

Apple's Maps will continue to improve. It's not like Apple can't afford to do it. In the end what you'll have is competing products that each have their own individual advantages, which is what you usually get with competing products.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Read my post again. I was quite clearly comparing my experience with it "at launch" to my experience with it now, and pointing out that it is still (in my experience) terrible.

Oh, and before you accuse me of being some sort of "Apple hater", I have an iPad 3 (& previously had an iPad 2), iPhone 5 (& previously had each one bar the original), iMac, and Apple TV.

I like Apple products (and have been accused of being a "fanboy" by others here), but I am actually still able to criticise Apple when it has messed up, such as with Apple Maps...

Obviously I wasn't referring to Apple's Maps at launch so responding to my remarks by talking about how they were at launch doesn't make sense.

Why are you so focused on what it was like at launch anyway?. That's history. It's over. That's why when someone focuses on things from the past to criticize Apple it makes me suspicious. Also, anyone can say they own Apple products.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    @PPhilster, the button to the right of the 'quote' button is multiquote ;)

I like to do things manually. Call me a masochist.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    iPad users have over 300,000 ****tablet**** apps available to them so why would they be using iPhone apps instead? I don't do that nor do I know any iPad user that does that.

A scaled up phone app is crap on a tablet as the graphics look awful and the app is not designed to take advantage of the larger screen and higher resolution.
    Have you compared what a scaled up iPhone app looks like on an iPad compared to what a scaled up Android app looks like on a tablet? The experience on iOS left a lot to be desired. Purely 1 pixel to 4 pixel scaling of everything. No re-draws performed to even take advantage of anti-aliasing. Even with pure text.

It's bizarre it behaves like this yet scales/redraws/AA perfectly fine when switching between phones with legacy resolution and 'Retina'. Even displaying better on a high res (Retina display) iPhone then on a lower res (non Retina display) iPads, where it would even downscale and show at quarter size despite being on a lower resolution screen.

Thankfully nowadays we have mostly 'universal' apps that scale up properly and redraw plus apply anti-aliasing at native resolution. Out of interest are you counting universal apps as *****Tablet***** apps - or purely iPad only apps? Some universal apps purely achieve this status be redrawing/AA properly at a higher resolution. Some actually take advantage of the higher resolution and display more content or increased functionality on the increased screen real estate.

Personally I prefer the trend of universal apps in recent years, as opposed to the old days of having separate phone apps and separate HD versions of apps purely for iPad. As it meant forking out again for the same app, if you use iPad and iPhone/iPod. Considering large proportion of universal apps there are now even in the charts, the old separate app approach seems to be a thing of the past.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So? Google is a direct competitor to Apple so to expect Apple to support Google's products is naive.

Apple's Maps will continue to improve. It's not like Apple can't afford to do it. In the end what you'll have is competing products that each have their own individual advantages, which is what you usually get with competing products.

"So"? Because the Maps app that used to be present on the iPhone did do public transport routing, but was removed by Apple and replaced with a Maps app that does not do public transport routing. Functionality that people were previously able to use was taken away.
    Obviously I wasn't referring to Apple's Maps at launch so responding to my remarks by talking about how they were at launch doesn't make sense.

Why are you so focused on what it was like at launch anyway?. That's history. It's over. That's why when someone focuses on things from the past to criticize Apple it makes me suspicious. Also, anyone can say they own Apple products.

It makes perfect sense.

You said "Apple's maps have come along quite nicely."

You were therefore saying that Apple Maps has improved since launch, as it has (according to you) "come along quite nicely".

I disagreed with this point, and stated that in my experience it has not improved.

To emphasise my point, I mentioned examples of how (in my experience) Apple Maps was awful at launch, and pointed out that it is still (in my experience) awful now, several months later, for the exact same reasons it was awful before when it first launched: Inaccurate searches and inaccurate POIs.

Mentioning how poor Apple Maps was at launch was necessary to be able to compare it to how it is now, given that the whole point was that (in my experience) it most definitely has not "come along quite nicely".

How it was at launch is not "over" or "history" because it is still that bad (in my experience).

As for "Also, anyone can say they own Apple products"... Oh please...:rolleyes:

Check my post history in this forum and the Mobile Phones forum. You will see that I have made repeated posts over the last few years about buying Apple products, posts about using Apple products, posts recommending Apple products (and posts defending Apple products against certain members of DS ;) ).

Was that all a ruse, just so I could then come along later and criticise Apple Maps without seeming like a "hater"?

Oh, also, have a look at this:

https://twitter.com/MJDodd/status/180654036666695680

A Tweet I made back in March 2012 when I received my brand new iPad 3 and Apple TV at launch.

I suppose that's fake is it, all part of some sort of sinister cover for someone who is really an "Apple hater"?