TV shows since the year 2000 that no one remembers?

Comments

• Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bidleybip wrote: »
    Being Eileen which starred Sue Johnston which was spun off from a Christmas special called Lapland, The Peter Serafinowicz Show (don't think he's done much since),

I remember both of these and they were great. Being Eileen was on last year and was very good, I was hoping that there would be another series this year, but it doesn't seem as if there will.

Peter Serafinowicz was comedy gold. So very funny and I just can't understand why it wasn't a lot more popular and why there weren't more series of it. We have it on DVD and still laugh at it.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember both of these and they were great.
    Peter Serafinowicz was comedy gold. So very funny and I just can't understand why it wasn't a lot more popular and why there weren't more series of it. We have it on DVD and still laugh at it.

..lost gravies of the ancient world..
    loved that show.
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Banjo Playing Detectives, starring Dorothy Tutin and Elvis Costello, about a detective and his ageing mother, who were both members of a banjo minstrel show. They only made 3 episodes, I think, before it was pulled for racism.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I actually have this on DVD but Breaking News. It was accused of being a Day Today rip-off, though I hadn't seen DT at that point and thought it was really funny.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    JailBreak (2000) - Channel5 quiz show that had 10 contestants trying to escape from a purpose buily prison. Hosted by Craig Charles

Touch The Truck (2001) - Another Channel 5 quiz. The winner beinmg the last person touching the truck. Presented by Dale Winton
    Ah Jailbreak, didn't they escape earlier than planned? Or am I thinking it was the Mole -- they found the culprit prematurely. Or I might just be exaggerating. :kitty:

There was another show on Channel 5, quiz show that I'm certain came on at 7pm (primetime, maybe once a week) around 2000-2001. Fairly sure it had to do with memory? Need to check the archives for that one.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    JailBreak (2000) - Channel5 quiz show that had 10 contestants trying to escape from a purpose buily prison. Hosted by Craig Charles

Touch The Truck (2001) - Another Channel 5 quiz. The winner beinmg the last person touching the truck. Presented by Dale Winton

I loved jailbreak! It was great!

I also remember a show which i think was called the murder game? Whereby a group of contestants lived in a purpose built village and had to solve a murder. Everyone living in the murder was a potential suspect, and they had to go round their houses looking for clues, interview them, examine evidence etc. at the end of each show two were nominated for the murder game where they had to go alone to a creepy place such as the forest at night, the boat yard, abandoned factory etc. one of them would find evidence to help their team and one would come face to face with the killer and be eliminated.

I loved that show but nobody i knew watched it. I would love for them to do another series of that. Eta just seen this was mentioned on page one, glad i wasnt the only fan of the show :D

Anyone remember the mole? Cant remember what channel it was on but it was a group of contestants doing challenges to win money. One was the mole who sabotaged the challenges so they couldnt win the full amount. Every episode they had to vote out who they thought the mole was. The theory being that if they got it right they would win more money. If they got it wrong they would eliminate a genuine contensant and the mole would continue to deplete their winnings.

Edited again to add that ive just read the thread and both my shows were mentioned! Heres one that hasnt been but i dont know if it existed or if i dreamt it....

It was a childs version of changing rooms where the children got to design how they wanted their homes to be made over. I only remember seeing one room (maybe the only one they did?) where these posh kids wanted their kitchen/dining room to be like a fast food restaurant. They completely gutted it and replaced it with brightly coloured plastic furniture, neon signs, fast food cookers etc. it looked brilliantly tacky and just like a take away restaurant. The kids loved it and the mum went mental.

I could never work it out though as presumably the mother would have to give permission so i dont know why she was so mad about it!
    Forum Member
    Ah Jailbreak, didn't they escape earlier than planned? Or am I thinking it was the Mole -- they found the culprit prematurely. Or I might just be exaggerating. :kitty:

There was another show on Channel 5, quiz show that I'm certain came on at 7pm (primetime, maybe once a week) around 2000-2001. Fairly sure it had to do with memory? Need to check the archives for that one.

I remember in jailbreak they showed all the ingenious ways people tried to escape, such as climbing through vents (which were coated in black paint so the guards could tell who had squeezed through) and one team writing a combination code on a cereal box hoping the other team would think it was a clue and get caught trying it!

Eventually someone did escape, just by running through an open door or something like that. Quite funny that people had tried hiding in dirty laundry etc and the winner just legged it, chased by guards but out ran them.

Iirc there was a contestant jj, who was also a contestant on survivor around the same sort of time.

According to wikipedia it was won by three women on day 14. I must have been remembering something else!
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    It was a childs version of changing rooms where the children got to design how they wanted their homes to be made over. I only remember seeing one room (maybe the only one they did?) where these posh kids wanted their kitchen/dining room to be like a fast food restaurant. They completely gutted it and replaced it with brightly coloured plastic furniture, neon signs, fast food cookers etc. it looked brilliantly tacky and just like a take away restaurant. The kids loved it and the mum went mental.

I could never work it out though as presumably the mother would have to give permission so i dont know why she was so mad about it!

That was Home On Their Own hosted by Ulrika Jonsson. I saw that burger bar episode too, it was hilarious and I remember it making C4's Top TV Treats of the Year (wish they still did that, but that's another story).

I seem to remember the burger bar being a thinly disguised Burger King, just without the branding :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Banjo Playing Detectives, starring Dorothy Tutin and Elvis Costello, about a detective and his ageing mother, who were both members of a banjo minstrel show. They only made 3 episodes, I think, before it was pulled for racism.

I mustn't be playing this right. I thought you had to pick things that no-one remembers, yet people keep replying saying they've heard of things people have posted, thereby negating the point of the thread :confused:
    Forum Member
    davads wrote: »
    That was Home On Their Own hosted by Ulrika Jonsson. I saw that burger bar episode too, it was hilarious and I remember it making C4's Top TV Treats of the Year (wish they still did that, but that's another story).

I seem to remember the burger bar being a thinly disguised Burger King, just without the branding :)

Thank you! I was beginning to think i had dreamt it lol

Does anyone remember the show that i think was inspired by big brother, where a group of pre teens and a few teenagers all lived together with no adults and no rules? I remember there being a scene where two tennish year old boys did the grocery shopping and most of it was red bull which they werent allowed to buy as they were too young :D

I think it was some kind of social experiment thing to see how they would cope with no adults, and i think they stayed up late all the time and all slept wherever they fell. I dont really know what the show was expecting!

Theres a show called young dumb and living off mum which does the same thing but with spoilt lazy teenagers. I think the show i mentioned tried to be like that but because the kids were young it didnt really work.
  • Susan_TowersSusan_Towers Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    One my OH and I really enjoyed was Sea of Souls, starring Bill Paterson. He and his team were paranormal researchers. It could be pretty spooky. We were sorry when it vanished. At the same time there was a similar series on ITV but I can't remember the name of it. Also the remake of Survivors, which finished on a cliff hanger, as though a new series was going to carry on, but it was cancelled.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One my OH and I really enjoyed was Sea of Souls, starring Bill Paterson. He and his team were paranormal researchers. It could be pretty spooky. We were sorry when it vanished. At the same time there was a similar series on ITV but I can't remember the name of it. Also the remake of Survivors, which finished on a cliff hanger, as though a new series was going to carry on, but it was cancelled.

I liked both those Series, although Survivors started to crumble towards the end.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bonekickers, weird drama about archaelogy with Julie Graham that only lasted one series.
  • Susan_TowersSusan_Towers Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Bonekickers, weird drama about archaelogy with Julie Graham that only lasted one series.

Oh god, I remember that, it was dreadful,in the 'so bad it was almost good' category. We watched a few episodes for the laugh value alone.
  • bidleybipbidleybip Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    I remember both of these and they were great. Being Eileen was on last year and was very good, I was hoping that there would be another series this year, but it doesn't seem as if there will.

I enjoyed Being Eileen too but it had the misfortune of been put on at 10.30 on a Monday night.

I think he was very good too liked him in things like Look Around You and Shaun of the Dead.
  • livingdeadgirllivingdeadgirl Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That show was brill :)
    I remember Dare to Believe, very strange stoner humour that was on TV at about 4am.
    I liked nightwatch with Steve Scott too, well the mystery episodes anyway.
    Who remembers the gameshow with Rhona Cameron Russian roulette I think it was called.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought of some reality shows - 1900s House, Rock School with Gene Simmons, and I was utterly obsessed with a show called That'll Teach 'Em where teenagers went back to the Victorian teaching days.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    The noughties was full of all sorts of junk so there must be loads.

Sky One - Gamezville - Show about games and starred the "Games Guru" who used to be on the channel GAME Network. We need another show about video games.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfm0L47aqrg

World Famous for Dicking Around - Aired on Bravo & FTN the channel that was before Virgin 1, full of "Jackass" style pranks. Really quite enjoyed it, wished I had recorded them. But hey thank god for Youtube! If there's nothing on TV I know where to look - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX1UjRn0zig

Macintyre's Toughest Towns. Exploring gang life & crime in various towns.

Toughest Pubs In Britain - narrated by Ralf Little pretty self-explanatory.
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,196
    Forum Member
    The Big Call - Saturday night ITV gameshow hosted by Neil Fox. Forget how it works, but basically the contestant who gets to the final round chooses to play for either £50,000 or 50,000 lottery tickets! And then they would reveal how much they've won off them if they had chosen the tickets. Shame it was only axed after one series, rather enjoyed this.

29 Minutes of Fame - Celebrity quiz panel show presented by Bob Mortimer. I always enjoyed the impressions round :D

Lads Army - This ran on ITV for a few of years, that began as an experiment to see if the youth of today could hack 1950s style national service. They brought it back with a twist, and re-branded it 'Bad Lads Army' where criminals sign up to it to see if they can become better people. That Scottish sergeant who used to be right in their faces like a rottweiler frightened the bejesus out of me!

Dumped - Channel 4 reality show were 11 contestants had to live in a rubbish dump next to a landfill site for 3 weeks. Was quite an interesting concept.

3 Non Blondes - Sure this was shown on BBC3. Hidden camera comedy which starred three comediennes. One of which is Tameka Thompson who now plays Denise's sister Kim in Eastenders.

Just For Laughs - Early Saturday evening candid camera show on BBC1. They should put something on like this again, and not rubbish like That Puppet Gameshow or Don't Scare the Hare!
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    hes having a baby presented by davina mcall about guys who were soon to become fathers it went out on saturday nights it bombed so badly it ended befor all the planned edtions were shown
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member

Tt88 wrote: »

Edited again to add that ive just read the thread and both my shows were mentioned! Heres one that hasnt been but i dont know if it existed or if i dreamt it....

No, I remember this too, it might have been the same episode, where the mum was just so horrified about what the children had done, and kept exclaiming that they had used Farrow and Ball paint on the walls previously, and the children had covered that up.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Thought of some reality shows - 1900s House, Rock School with Gene Simmons, and I was utterly obsessed with a show called That'll Teach 'Em where teenagers went back to the Victorian teaching days.

I loved all of the above shows. Thinking about the 1900's House, there was also The Edwardian Country House, The 1940's House and on a different channel and an American one showing people going back to the days of setting up house in the American Prairie. All were really good and I wish that they would do some more of different times.

I also remember one that took families back to very early times, but I can't remember the name of the programme. I remember there was a family with two very young children and that they had to go home as the children weren't well living that kind of life and the food they were having to eat.
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Lenitive wrote: »

I loved 1900s house, and the 1940s house was great too. I really liked the family that took part in the 1900s house. Then at the end of the series, the family that came second to them in the selection process, were interviewed and claimed they would have dealt with it all 'much better' than the family that was chosen. I thought that was a really smug thing to say, as given the second choice family weren't actually chosen, they had no way of knowing whether they'd deal with it better, despite what they claimed.
  • livingdeadgirllivingdeadgirl Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone remember this horrid Saturday night dating show with chris tarrant involving women picking out men they liked and pushing the rest in the pool? Terribly sexist and degrading, if that was men pushing women in the pool I bet it wouldn't be quite so acceptable.
  • loopilouloopilou Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone remember this horrid Saturday night dating show with chris tarrant involving women picking out men they liked and pushing the rest in the pool? Terribly sexist and degrading, if that was men pushing women in the pool I bet it wouldn't be quite so acceptable.

Was this called man o man?