Bauer - your music your life

Comments

• listeninglistening Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Anybody notice that even from the overnight show the presenter is constantly plugging In Demand that night, they are even running the In Demand competition to win a trip to meet Little Mix in the USA on City! Have they really not got anything else to say, and what happened to making trailers?
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and for fans of Hugh Brown, fear not - he will be taking over from Keith Clarkson as host of Super Scoreboard Live from this Saturday,

Hugh Brown is no stranger to the Saturday afternoon sports slot having presented Saturday Sports live for several years. I take it he will present the extra Friday evening and Sunday afternoon rugby shows as well.

Great to see Bob Malcolm back on the air and should be highly suited to the Sunday 9am to 12pm slot. He's not entirely unknown to Radio Borders listeners sitting in for Tom Bell on the Monday to Thursday 7 to 10pm slot. But is the Sunday 9am to 12pm oldies slot slowly on its way out?

Bob Malcolm is old enough to be Gregor Runciman's grandad. Bob Malcolm will attract a good number of Forth 2 fans with smartphones or listening via the PC who miss his breakfast shows gone from Forth 2.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Hugh Brown is no stranger to the Saturday afternoon sports slot having presented Saturday Sports live for several years. I take it he will present the extra Friday evening and Sunday afternoon rugby shows as well.

Not sure what you mean by that. Friday night sport show at 6.30 is still being covered by Stuart McCulloch and Mark Wilson (for the moment).

If you are refering to Friday/Sunday live rugby. Well on Friday they almost don't cover rugby anymore on Friday evenings with In Demand etc. When In Demand first started they did opt out occasionally but with the 'finale' to In Demands competitions being on Friday they stopped. A couple of occaisons they feed live updates into In demand at pre-determined times (Say every half hour) during an ad-break on the rest of the network. On RB you got Romeo doing a VT link into Stuart Cameron or Bruce Miller. Quite often the reporter would run over or there would be some mix up with ads/idents crashing.

I think in the past 2-3 years they have opted out twice when there has been a crucial game on a Friday evening in April/May which has decided a league or promotion/relegation play off. However it's usually been Presented on-site by Stuart McCulloch and a co-comm basically jocking the show. sometimes they have wrapped up for 9ish for a 'one hour indemand show' or it has went on to nearer 10, and for 15-20 mins there is non-stop music up to the news at 10.

Only chance that there will be any opt out is if there is a major game which will take place on Friday evening to avoid the 7s over the weekend.

On the subject of the 7s and the Sunday coverage, normally the usual Sunday presenter (normally Paul Brownlee or Gregor Runciman) will just be on air and hand over for updates/commentaries 'til the event is over (say 1-6pm) then handing over to the chart show. Or if in some cases if final of a 7s event is after 6 then RB basically do the Big top 40, but from tweedbank 'til 7.

With Hugh moving to Saturday again for the sport, It may mean Keith comes in temporarily to Sundays to present if/when Radio Borders cover the 7s from April.
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what you mean by that. Friday night sport show at 6.30 is still being covered by Stuart McCulloch and Mark Wilson (for the moment).

If you are refering to Friday/Sunday live rugby. Well on Friday they almost don't cover rugby anymore on Friday evenings with In Demand etc. When In Demand first started they did opt out occasionally but with the 'finale' to In Demands competitions being on Friday they stopped. A couple of occaisons they feed live updates into In demand at pre-determined times (Say every half hour) during an ad-break on the rest of the network. On RB you got Romeo doing a VT link into Stuart Cameron or Bruce Miller. Quite often the reporter would run over or there would be some mix up with ads/idents crashing.

I think in the past 2-3 years they have opted out twice when there has been a crucial game on a Friday evening in April/May which has decided a league or promotion/relegation play off. However it's usually been Presented on-site by Stuart McCulloch and a co-comm basically jocking the show. sometimes they have wrapped up for 9ish for a 'one hour indemand show' or it has went on to nearer 10, and for 15-20 mins there is non-stop music up to the news at 10.

Only chance that there will be any opt out is if there is a major game which will take place on Friday evening to avoid the 7s over the weekend.

On the subject of the 7s and the Sunday coverage, normally the usual Sunday presenter (normally Paul Brownlee or Gregor Runciman) will just be on air and hand over for updates/commentaries 'til the event is over (say 1-6pm) then handing over to the chart show. Or if in some cases if final of a 7s event is after 6 then RB basically do the Big top 40, but from tweedbank 'til 7.

With Hugh moving to Saturday again for the sport, It may mean Keith comes in temporarily to Sundays to present if/when Radio Borders cover the 7s from April.

Bob also presented an edition of Border Report, which was RB's local magazine programme, back in 1991. The reason for this was because the station had been nominated for a Sony Radio Award - then the highest accolade in broadcasting - in 1991 and the entire staff went to the ceremony. RB won the award and I remember Bob doing an item on the win and a live two-way on the phone with Rod Webster, the then station manager, from London. Alec Shuttleworth - before his fall from grace - covered RB breakfast that day and Border TV's Craig Austin looked after the mid-morning show, while weekend presenter and regular stand-in Kevin John presented the early afternoon slot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bob also presented an edition of Border Report, which was RB's local magazine programme, back in 1991. The reason for this was because the station had been nominated for a Sony Radio Award - then the highest accolade in broadcasting - in 1991 and the entire staff went to the ceremony. RB won the award and I remember Bob doing an item on the win and a live two-way on the phone with Rod Webster, the then station manager, from London. Alec Shuttleworth - before his fall from grace - covered RB breakfast that day and Border TV's Craig Austin looked after the mid-morning show, while weekend presenter and regular stand-in Kevin John presented the early afternoon slot.

There is an old radio Forth compilation clip kicking about somewhere with name announcements of Bob Malclom and Mike Scott, a programme preview with Alec Shuttleworth, the start of a Tom Bell show, and a bit of Ken Haynes mentioning about Radio Darts.

Was the Forth DJ Mike Scott the same Mike Scott who presented The Time The Place on ITV?

Alec Shuttleworth was on Central FM in the early 1990's and Tom Bell did drivetimes on Central FM when his 7pm to 10pm show moved to 10pm to 1am.

There wasn't really much difference between Radio Forth 194 and Max AM 1548 music output apart fron the network charts entirely on FM on the new Radio Forth RFM come the split frequency when RFM and Max AM were formed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the same Mike Scott , also big Shutty is now a man of the cloth not far away from where I live!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No vet spot on Radio Borders this morning so I suspect that the feature has been dropped.

Keith Clarkson plugging this, this morning. So it's still around and sounding like it will be live.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This west sound FM is a really superb station.

The localness of much of the station's output makes it a great standout in relation to the AM Greatest Hits Network.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This west sound FM is a really superb station.

The localness of much of the station's output makes it a great standout in relation to the AM Greatest Hits Network.

Having checked WestSound FM's schedule It only seems to be local between 6am and 7pm Monday to Friday, though - the rest of the time it takes the Greatest Hits Network from Clydebank which means no local output at weekends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having checked WestSound FM's schedule It only seems to be local between 6am and 7pm Monday to Friday, though - the rest of the time it takes the Greatest Hits Network from Clydebank which means no local output at weekends.

2-6pm on Sat and 1-4pm on Sun are local on Westsound. But yeah the rest is Greatest Hits Networking at weekends and over nights. Probably only downside to Westsound FM taking the AM network is automated overnights.
  • Lee_MeddLee_Medd Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    WestSound FM is "local" from 6-10 with the breakfast show & 3-7 with drive weekdays, the other "local" shows come from westsound am in Ayr.

Like the previous poster mentioned there are also 2 weekend shows from Dumfries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But it's good that there's now a wider music selection than there was before, and also it's great that it's not the universal schedule of the Greatest Hits Network 24/7.

Even at the weekend there's are a couple (one each day) of local shows too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee_Medd wrote: »
    WestSound FM is "local" from 6-10 with the breakfast show & 3-7 with drive weekdays, the other "local" shows come from westsound am in Ayr.

Like the previous poster mentioned there are also 2 weekend shows from Dumfries.

There's the equivalent of the old 2 O'Clock Takeover in nearly 20 minutes time although they take the Greatest Hits Network for that.
  • NewbieBen12NewbieBen12 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Is Old Skool & Anthems voice-tracked, i.e. 5x60min shows recorded in one go?

Some very obvious cut and paste in the links... "You're listening to Old Skool & Anthems ON [INSERT STATION NAME]" or as earlier Neil Bentley's links crashing into eachhother. Sounds as flawless as the Metro/TFM recorded inserts...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Old Skool & Anthems voice-tracked, i.e. 5x60min shows recorded in one go?

Some very obvious cut and paste in the links... "You're listening to Old Skool & Anthems ON [INSERT STATION NAME]" or as earlier Neil Bentley's links crashing into eachhother. Sounds as flawless as the Metro/TFM recorded inserts...

Dunno if the whole thing is VT'd, I didn't think so. I think his links are live just an awful pre-rec vt with station ID at end of sentence etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee_Medd wrote: »

10-2 mid mornings (like other FM stations) is still local too on West sound FM with Alan Shaw (albeit probably done live at West FM, as he is doing 3-7 on West FM drive too). Ally Bally is on AM.
  • Lee_MeddLee_Medd Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Yes, Alan broadcasts from Ayr. Does beg the question of what is local? As it stands I am working 3 doors up from WS studios in the shopping centre, yet the local mid-morning show is live from a studio 70 odd miles away!! With the breakfast jock doing paperwork in the studio!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Shaw a temporary thing on Westsound? Surely can't be a permanent gig doing 4 hours on WS and 4 hrs on West FM back to back effectively.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the reason for West Sound FM taking the Greatest Hits Network is historical. When it first started, as South West Sound, it took a lot of the AM output from West Sound which at that time still simulcasting on both AM and FM, and then from Westsound AM when West Sound split its frequencies in the early-90s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bob Malcolm is doing a terrific show on the Sunday 9 to 12 slot on Radio Borders
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the reason for West Sound FM taking the Greatest Hits Network is historical. When it first started, as South West Sound, it took a lot of the AM output from West Sound which at that time still simulcasting on both AM and FM, and then from Westsound AM when West Sound split its frequencies in the early-90s.

I would imagine that large areas of Ayrshire and the Scottish Borders and parts of Cumbria can pick up Westsound FM crisp and clear on either 96.5, 97 or 103FM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob Malcolm is doing a terrific show on the Sunday 9 to 12 slot on Radio Borders

Although in one of his links this morning he managed to call Golden Sunday "Golden Brown" (which is what it was called previously)!

Oops... ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine that large areas of Ayrshire and the Scottish Borders and parts of Cumbria can pick up Westsound FM crisp and clear on either 96.5, 97 or 103FM.

Would be difficult on FM as you have the Southern Uplands in the way plus the signal from Dumfries doesn't extend that far east. This is the reason why the Ballantrae and Pinwherry TV transmitters in South Ayrshire transmit ITV Border instead of STV as the Southern Uplands prevent these transmitters from being fed by Darvel.
  • leandy1leandy1 Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Dunno if the whole thing is VT'd, I didn't think so. I think his links are live just an awful pre-rec vt with station ID at end of sentence etc.

Can't even see any point in having a presenter for this to be honest
  • d3mond3mon Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leandy1 wrote: »
    Can't even see any point in having a presenter for this to be honest
    I guess they thought it sounds better than daytime automation, but that's debatable given how obvious the voice tracking is! I still enjoy the programme in general though, it's a welcome change from what Clyde 1 would usually have broadcast at that time.

That said, I haven't been able to listen to OSA for the past few days, but if today's was still ' presented' by Neil Bentley then that perhaps exposes the fact that the program isn't live as Neil tweeted yesterday that he was in New York! https://twitter.com/realneilbentley/status/446758474815651840