Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Thread (Part 12)

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *turns lights on*

*opens curtains* :D

First four fixtures of the new season ..

West Ham (a)
    QPR (h)
    Liverpool (h)
    Sunderland (a)

Not a bad start actually - I suppose it'll be better to catch Liverpool early on before they've built up a head of steam.

Play Ars*nal in game 6 as well .. City in game 8 .. so going from "not a bad start" to "a bit tricky" :D

Christmas games are going to be tough .. at home to United on the 28th and then Chelsea on the 1st of Jan.

Back to back games against Ars*nal and then Liverpool within 3 days of each other in February - at home to Ars*nal on Sat 7th and then away to Livepool on Tuesday 10th which seems a bit weird. I can only guess it's because of proposed internationals ?

As far as the run-in goes, it's actually not bad again, apart from a home tie against City.

Newcastle (a)
    Southampton (a)
    City (h)
    Stoke (a)
    Hull (h)
    Everton (a)

We've got a good spread actually. Apart from playing 3 out of the expected top 5 in the opening 8 games, we haven't really got a "Month of Death" like we've had a few times over the past few seasons.
  • knickerlesscageknickerlesscage Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've got a good spread actually. Apart from playing 3 out of the expected top 5 in the opening 8 games, we haven't really got a "Month of Death" like we've had a few times over the past few seasons.

I agree, will be good to get them out of the way before the build up momentum really, and hopefully we can do so in the process. Decent run in :)
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmed today by the Club that Ferdinand and Ramsey have left. Not unexpected but wish them both well. Ramsey in particular will be a huge loss for his coaching work with the Academy and latterly the Development Squad.

Assume for now that Freund will in effect take over the Development squad and manage the U23s reporting directly to Pochettino. Will be interesting to see if anyone else will be brought in to help manage what could be quite a large group of players, some of whom will need to be found loan Clubs and then monitored.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read about Sir Les and Ramsey as well. It's a pity they couldn't have worked things out with Ramsey really, but maybe Sherwood has indicated to both of them that he'll bring them with him wherever he ends up ?
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    no point having anyone from the Sherwood tenure hanging around like a bad smell to undermine the new manager like Sherwood himself did with AVB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah fair point. apparently hull have tied up a permanent deal for Livermore - supposedly £6 million, which is a decent fee considering he'd made it clear he wanted to stay there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2664161/Jake-Livermore-makes-loan-Hull-City-permanent-6million-deal-Spurs.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great bit of business if so, as we need to clear some space, and i'm sure there will be add-ons.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah fair point. apparently hull have tied up a permanent deal for Livermore - supposedly £6 million, which is a decent fee considering he'd made it clear he wanted to stay there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2664161/Jake-Livermore-makes-loan-Hull-City-permanent-6million-deal-Spurs.html
    A good move for Livermore seeing the competition we have for midfield places.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather weirdly, in Fifa 14, Livermore was a rather free-scoring Spurs captain and general midfield dynamo :)

Most of the papers i've read over the past few days have Balotelli on the verge of joining Ars*nal, so it could well mean that Remy will come to us if it does happen.

I'd be happy with that on one level as he's proven himself at premiership level, but on another level, as i've said previously, he's a massive mercenary and would almost certainly want to engineer a move away if we don't finish in the top 4 at the end of the coming season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope the Arses sign Balotelli for the sake of their team harmony! :D

Lukaku, Bony and Remy all on our radar it seems, if we believe the press. For me Lukaku needs to have a good WC to show he really has some quality. On Remy I'm 40:60 against as I don't see him as our main striker. Bony has looked very decent at Swansea in some games this season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget Lukaku it seems Origi is the one now.. just got Belgium's goal against Russia. He replaced Lukaku who was pretty ineffective while on the pitch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No sooner written than I read a snippet that according to the Mirror we've been scouting him for sometime and have made a £6m bid to Lille for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I am up at 5:24am :)

Just read this blog report which was quite funny ..
    We've either grown too cynical or silly season is finally upon us, with something of a bang. Spanish newspaper AS claim on Sunday morning that Radamel Falcao has had the chance to to move to White Hart Lane during the coming transfer window but has dismissed the possibility, preferring to hold out for a move to Real Madrid... which is apparently what he's wanted all along.

All due to respect to Tottenham, who are a far bigger club than AS Monaco will probably ever be, but the idea that Falcao would go to the Premier League club or that they'd be interested is incredibly hard to believe, even slightly.

The reason for that is money, there's simply no way Daniel Levy would give Monaco back the £50m plus they shelled out on the player and it's unlikely any other Premier League club would either.

Then there's the tax free wages the Colombian is currently enjoying in the French principality. To match that, and cover the relevant British taxes, would cost a club here around £400,000 per week. Falcao is in a privileged position financially at Monaco right now but if he wants to keep those wages then he's incredibly restricted to where he moves... even Real Madrid wouldn't match them.

The last line tickled me the most though :D
    Tottenham will have to move to their other targets. Messi, Ronaldo, that kind of thing.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/50m-superstar-has-apparently-turned-down-tottenham-move-this-summ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    Forget Lukaku it seems Origi is the one now.. just got Belgium's goal against Russia. He replaced Lukaku who was pretty ineffective while on the pitch.
    Exactly the word I was going to use for Lukaku. We need a main striker who is near the finished article, just coming into their prime.
    Yes I am up at 5:24am :)
    As my old man use to say - 'What are you doing up early, have you wet the bed?' :D

Back to footie - Seems every striker gets linked to us sooner or later, even if some are pure fantasy island material.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    As my old man use to say - 'What are you doing up early, have you wet the bed?' :D

Funny thing is, if you'd said that a few months back when my ceiling sprang a leak and water was dripping on to my bed, leaving rather a large wet patch then the answer would have been yes :)

Striker-wise, I still hold out a degree of hope that once MP starts working with Soldado that he'll be able to "unlock" him, so to speak. His scoring record speaks for itself and if, and I unreservedly accept it's a BIG "if", MP is the one who can help him finally translate that to the Premier League then there's your top drawer striker right there, already with us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pochettino now seems (in the press) to be more keen on Wilfred Bony than Lukaku. Swansea are after Lyon's out of contract striker Bafétimbi Gomis as a replacement which would give the green light for Bony to leave for £19m.

In some ways I can't wait for the WC to be over now so that the transfer business can get into full swing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    In some ways I can't wait for the WC to be over now so that the transfer business can get into full swing.

Same here, although I am liking hearing the little rumours floating round about us actually selling players. Already Livermore, and now I hear Dawson may be about to follow him. It's about time we managed to sell some of these players who are keeping us treading water. Though I'm obviously grateful for their service.

I hope we sell Lennon.

Also relieved to hear Ferdinand is probably heading to QPR.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...I hope we sell Lennon...
    Thought we had sold him for a moment when I saw QPR's squad list. They have an U21 player called Aaron Lennox!

The Arses are looking like they are moving forward with signing Loic Remy, which is his prefered destination. One more off of our potential striker's list then but may mean that we could be front runners for Bony.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are Ars*nal back to Remy now ?. The papers had their signing of Balotelli seemingly imminent ..

Anyway, I'm also itching to get the transfer market up and running again as well.

Apparently the new home kit has supposedly leaked online

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/24/tottenhams-new-201415-home-shirt-leaked-online-4773321/?

I quite like it .. bit 'retro' ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lamela tweeting how much he's looking forward to the new season which is nice. Hopefully it means he's not going anywhere.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/come-on-you-spurs--erik-lamela-gives-tottenham-boost-ahead-of-new-season-9560995.html

Also, according to the Standard, Hull are now in talks over a £4 million deal for Dawson.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/hull-and-tottenham-open-talks-over-4m-michael-dawson-deal-9562469.html

Good money for someone of his age and ability, but I'd still rather hang on to him because I think he'd be good to have around the place. Not necessarily in a regular first team role of course, but more because he's very much a spurs man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting rumours coming out by those who "know". For example, could be as many as 10 players up for sale depending on offers, some of these will be previous regular starters and some returning loanees deemed surplus to requirements. It is stressed though that it's unlikely anybody will leave until after pre-season starts which is next week for those not involved in Brazil.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose we've done ok for the world cup.

Paulinho, Lloris, Chadli and Dembele are the only "main" players we're likely to have involved beyond the end of this week and apart from Lloris, they may all not necessarily be first choices under MP's new regime.

Algeria could possibly still go out so Bentaleb could be on his way home and I doubt very much Benni will be playing for us again.

So all in all, I think we'll be in good shape for a fully fit, fully rested squad for the start of the season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lamela tweeting how much he's looking forward to the new season which is nice. Hopefully it means he's not going anywhere.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/come-on-you-spurs--erik-lamela-gives-tottenham-boost-ahead-of-new-season-9560995.html

Also, according to the Standard, Hull are now in talks over a £4 million deal for Dawson.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/hull-and-tottenham-open-talks-over-4m-michael-dawson-deal-9562469.html

Good money for someone of his age and ability, but I'd still rather hang on to him because I think he'd be good to have around the place. Not necessarily in a regular first team role of course, but more because he's very much a spurs man.
    I think appointing fellow countryman Pochettino, will have made Lamela a lot more comfortable. I just hope his plan to get back to full fitness over the Summer has been totally successful and we can start to see the real player,

I totally agree on Dawson, he has arguably been our most consistent CB in recent years and we have had to fall back on his services time and time again due to injuries. I also see him having a coaching role at the club as his playing career comes to a close.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    Interesting rumours coming out by those who "know". For example, could be as many as 10 players up for sale depending on offers, some of these will be previous regular starters and some returning loanees deemed surplus to requirements. It is stressed though that it's unlikely anybody will leave until after pre-season starts which is next week for those not involved in Brazil.
    Made me think of Khumalo who is 27 now and is never going to be first team material.
This discussion has been closed.