BBC Local Radio's Beatles day this Friday.

Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
Forum Member
This Friday BBC Local Radio is having a Beatles day. Now I can understand BBC Radio Merseyside having a Beatles day.
The Beatles are in my opinion the worlds greatest pop group.
But why are the BBC imposing this on all their local radio stations ?

Comments

• ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,823
    Forum Member
    I think it's to share stories about when The Beatles came to your area and the like. The played the Shrewsbury Music Hall a couple of weeks before Love Me Do was released and basically two men and a dog turned up. Six months later it would have been a very different story.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC press release says

The Beatles’ first top-20 hit, Love Me Do, was released 50 years ago on 5 October 1962, and the BBC is celebrating with a nationwide trawl for listeners’ memories from the time.

All 39 BBC Local Radio stations are holding their own My Beatles Story day (#mybeatlesstory) on 5 October, when every station will broadcast listeners’ memories of the Fab Four.

The BBC has also commissioned a Local Radio survey in which 12,000 people across the UK are being asked to pick their favourite Beatles track. Each station will announce the local results on 5 October.

So it's a fairly significant anniversary though I think that many people will be a bit too young or a bit too old to remember that day with any clarity. By the way, I swear there are 40 BBC local stations, not 39 as the BBC press release states (sources: Wikipedia, BBC web site).
  • fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i will be avoiding my local bbc radio then .
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Love the OP's phrasing there. Imposing, indeed. You're over 50 years old. You know who the Beatles are. If you're 65+ the chances are you may have seen one of their early concerts. Perhaps one of the songs was the first dance at your wedding.

Gold and other stations will be marking this significant anniversary. Why should the BBC's local coverage be restricted to Merseyside?
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Crowley's presenting a Beatles special on BBC London. They do have well known connection with the capital, Abbey Road studios etc.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    The Beatles have a connection with every part of the country, especially in the early days. That alone is a good reason for doing this project. And a lot of work has gone into it.
  • Gordon SparksGordon Sparks Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    The Beatles have a connection with every part of the country, especially in the early days. That alone is a good reason for doing this project. And a lot of work has gone into it.

At BBC Radio Devon we have received many memories of The Beatles playing in Plymouth and Exeter from those who were there - and some listeners who witnessed The Magical Mystery Tour in the county.

One of our listeners (lives in Torquay) was a roadie with The Fab Four.

It's not all about Merseyside!

Can't believe some people would knock this.

If the 50th anniversary of a most iconic group wasn't marked, then I think more people would wonder why.

Dare I say .... I would rather hear this than yet another bland, predictable hour of the same old limited playlist on commercial radio.
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    By the way, I swear there are 40 BBC local stations, not 39 as the BBC press release states (sources: Wikipedia, BBC web site).
    I think it's because they count BBC Sussex and BBC Surrey as one station, since they're the same apart from the breakfast show.
  • Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Love the OP's phrasing there. Imposing, indeed. You're over 50 years old. You know who the Beatles are. If you're 65+ the chances are you may have seen one of their early concerts. Perhaps one of the songs was the first dance at your wedding.

Gold and other stations will be marking this significant anniversary. Why should the BBC's local coverage be restricted to Merseyside?

I'm not as Mapperley Ridge appears to suggest over 50 years old, in fact I'm 43 years old.
    I am pleased that so many people around the country like the Beatles, however I believe that BBC Radio Two would be a better place for a Beatles day than the local radio network.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Friday BBC Local Radio is having a Beatles day. Now I can understand BBC Radio Merseyside having a Beatles day.
    The Beatles are in my opinion the worlds greatest pop group.
    But why are the BBC imposing this on all their local radio stations ?

They might be able to share some of the programming with obviously Merseyside taking the lead but other stations will have local connections to the Beatles that they can share or just use locally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    What is the big obsession with The Beatles? It was over 50 years ago Britain, get over it. :rolleyes:
  • Harris TweedHarris Tweed Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not as Mapperley Ridge appears to suggest over 50 years old, in fact I'm 43 years old.
    I am pleased that so many people around the country like the Beatles, however I believe that BBC Radio Two would be a better place for a Beatles day than the local radio network.

Without putting words in his mouth, I think Mapperley was referring to BBC LR's target audience, which at 50+ (compared to R2's 35+) was at least alive when this song was released.

I agree with you that if the feature had been primarily/exclusively about the music, then it would have sat better on a national music network. However, this is about Diana in Dewsbury remembering the time they came to the local town hall.. basically a storytelling thing charting the years when the Beatles visited pretty much every decent-sized town hall in the country.
  • Paul_HayesPaul_Hayes Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    We've got lots of nice things lined up on BBC Radio Norfolk tomorrow -

Stories of people who saw their gigs in Norwich and Great Yarmouth, of course - or even worked on them, such as the man who did the sound for their Norwich concert. Plus other anecdotes from local people - such as the former Wymondham College art teacher who knew John Lennon while studying in Liverpool in the early 1960s.

Memories from Peter Jay of Norfolk band Peter Jay & The Jay Walkers, who were the support act for The Beatles' winter tour in November and December 1963.

Members of Ricky Lee & The Hucklebucks live in the studio, remembering when they, as a young local band, opened for The Beatles in Norwich in May 1963.

We've raided our archives to bring you an interview with Tony Sheridan, the Norwich lad who - briefly! - had The Beatles as his backing band, on recordings made in Germany in 1961.

There'll be a phone-in on whether and why The Beatles are still important, and local record expert Eric White will be taking calls on listeners' rare Beatles vinyl.

Live features from the locations in Norwich and Great Yarmouth where the band played, plenty of listener memories, lots of their tracks and to round it all off at 7pm, our Introducing show - as I believe many of them around the country are - will feature local up-and-coming acts performing Beatles covers.

I think it'll be a cracking day, and well worth doing.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brum legend Bev Bevan is involved with Bbc Wm's coverage.
  • VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroChris wrote: »
    What is the big obsession with The Beatles? It was over 50 years ago Britain, get over it. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's because their music still has an influence on youth today? Maybe it's because they were arguably one of, if not, the biggest band of the 20th century? Just a couple of reasons.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Derby played lots of Beatles .

Anyone know if stations in Wales Scotland and NI joined in?
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,823
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »
    Radio Derby played lots of Beatles .

Anyone know if stations in Wales Scotland and NI joined in?

Wales did, they had the Bootleg Beatles playing live and did an hour in the afternoon