Skyfall butchered.

fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
Forum Member
✭✭
Why on earth are Sky showing a 16:9 version of Skyfall rather than the original 2.4:1 presentation?

Sky have been pretty good at showing films as originally made, showing up the likes of ITV, so why this sudden change, especially in such a big name movie?

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    most likely that was the version they were given?
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    most likely that was the version they were given?

Quite possibly. Bloody stupid idea, whoever's fault it is.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad I've quit my trail offer of half price sky movies then. Sticking to lovefilm, at least when I rent the blu-ray, I usually get the correct aspect ratio.
  • Ben1980Ben1980 Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading the title of the thread I was expecting us to have received the Chinese cut version of the film!

As for the aspect ratio, I would guess that the average user will have no idea the master version was any different
  • spearce8spearce8 Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    If memory serves, when Sky started showing 'The Bridge on the River Kwai' a while back, it wasn't the correct OAR, it was corrected soon enough, just bide your time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    The correct ratio for Skyfall is not clear. I assume though, that rather than show a version that is correctly matted for 16:9 they are zooming in.

As far as I know, 2.35:1 is Mendes' preferred ratio though.

http://www.imax.com/community/blog/skyfall-specially-formatted-for-imax/
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    Why on earth are Sky showing a 16:9 version of Skyfall rather than the original 2.4:1 presentation?

Sky have been pretty good at showing films as originally made, showing up the likes of ITV, so why this sudden change, especially in such a big name movie?

Watched a bit of it this morning on Showcase and I thought it should not be full screen as I have the blu ray and it is widescreen with black bars at top and bottom. Odd really as All the other Bond films seem to be in correct ratio.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bjq1972 wrote: »
    The correct ratio for Skyfall is not clear. I assume though, that rather than show a version that is correctly matted for 16:9 they are zooming in.

As far as I know, 2.35:1 is Mendes' preferred ratio though.

http://www.imax.com/community/blog/skyfall-specially-formatted-for-imax/

The 16:9 TV version does seem to have some additional height, so it has been taken from the original master I think. The end result is not as bad as it could have been. Still missing a significant amount of information from the sides compared to the cinema version though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most viewers wont care about such things, but I suspect as said its what Sky was given. Im sure it was the same on Box Office.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    Most viewers wont care about such things, but I suspect as said its what Sky was given. Im sure it was the same on Box Office.

Yeah, well, this viewer does care. And as a viewer that cares, I feel it devalues Sky Movies as a premium product. And when things become devalued, I'm less inclined to use them and pay for them.

Now I don't care if it's Sky or the movie studio that made the decision. It's Sky that I pay my money to, and if Sky can't work with their suppliers to provide a product that I'm happy with then they risk losing custom, just the same as any other business.
  • RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bjq1972 wrote: »

Nope. They have done it correctly at least in this case. I've just compared the opening scenes where Bond is walking down the corridor. Definitely the Blu-ray version has the mattes applied and Sky are showing the open matte version.

Of course, this is not what the director intended for the theatrical release - or even the Blu-ray version. The studios must have been responsible supplying Sky with the open matte version. If they feel they have to appease those who object to black bars I would much rather they did it like this than the way ITV do it.
  • BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you seriously moaning about this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BOOTHY2905 wrote: »
    Are you seriously moaning about this?

Yes, I am.

Look, ultimately it doesn't matter to the masses. But, it struck me as a strange move and at odds with Sky's usual policy of showing films as they were originally made.

The movies being shown in their proper format was just one of the benefits of the Bond movies moving to Sky from ITV.

Skyfall is, in my opinion, a great movie. Sky have made a big deal about showing the film and relaunching Sky Movies 007. And when it happens they are showing, what I consider, to be an inferior version of the movie.

Sky Movies is a premium service at a premium price and I feel I have every right to expect a premium product from them.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Other countries have shown it in the correct OAR so why the hell Sky would even accept a 16:9 'filling' version is beyond me but again affirms why i get the DVD/Blu-Ray, you get what was intended at time of production.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I am.

Look, ultimately it doesn't matter to the masses. But, it struck me as a strange move and at odds with Sky's usual policy of showing films as they were originally made.

The movies being shown in their proper format was just one of the benefits of the Bond movies moving to Sky from ITV.

Skyfall is, in my opinion, a great movie. Sky have made a big deal about showing the film and relaunching Sky Movies 007. And when it happens they are showing, what I consider, to be an inferior version of the movie.

Sky Movies is a premium service at a premium price and I feel I have every right to expect a premium product from them.

Wow! You really must have a perfect life then. :confused:
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am with the OP. sky normally show things in the correct AR. I am sure they are not saying it is a problem in the grand scheme of world problems but it is annoying.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member

totally agree with you

sky love to mess viewers about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    totally agree with you

sky love to mess viewers about.

And your evidence for this is.....
  • hdmoghdmog Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    Having read the link in BJQ1972 's post I think Sky may be showing the version formatted for the films Imax release which is pretty much 16:9. Given that there were therefore two versions available in cinema, it is hard to argue which is the "correct" aspect ratio.

It will be interesting to see what they do with "Dark Knight Rises", the blu ray of which switched between the two formats depending on how the sequences had been filmed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hdmog wrote: »
    Having read the link in BJQ1972 's post I think Sky may be showing the version formatted for the films Imax release which is pretty much 16:9. Given that there were therefore two versions available in cinema, it is hard to argue which is the "correct" aspect ratio.

It will be interesting to see what they do with "Dark Knight Rises", the blu ray of which switched between the two formats depending on how the sequences had been filmed.

Which is the correct aspect ratio? I would suggest it is the one that has been sold in its millions on DVD. The one that featured on the fastest selling Blu-ray of all time. The one specifically chosen for home viewing. The one NOT currently being shown by Sky.
  • RoweyRowey Posts: 2,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with fastest finger. We pay top money for this service so the least we should expect is for the films to be shown in the correct ratio. I dread to think what a mess sky movies would be if it were left to the likes of BOOTHY2905. We'd probably have advert breaks and a huge on screen graphic up the top corner.

If someone can post the email address i'll send in a complaint to sky movies about this and if everyone else does the same, maybe they'll listen.
  • drabbledrabble Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no problem if it adds extra information to the top and bottom of the frame, if it is a pan and scan version then I would have a problem.

Sky did something similar with Tron Legacy a while back and I prefer the Sky version to the bluray.

Tron Legacy bluray:

http://i44.tinypic.com/nx0xzd.jpg

Tron Legacy Sky Movies HD (Showcase/Anytime):

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ez0o6g.jpg
  • RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drabble wrote: »
    I have no problem if it adds extra information to the top and bottom of the frame, if it is a pan and scan version then I would have a problem.

Well, yes exactly. I wonder if people have read this thread properly. Nothing is missing here. All that they (and that's the studio btw and not Sky) have done is to prepare a full 16:9 version by removing the mattes which were used to mask off the top and bottom. In a sense it was these theatrical and early DVD/Blu-ray releases which were cropped!

The director would have been fully aware of what he was shooting at the time. The version Sky is broadcasting gives you more information top and bottom so I really don't get why people are complaining :confused:.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowey wrote: »
    I agree with fastest finger. We pay top money for this service so the least we should expect is for the films to be shown in the correct ratio. I dread to think what a mess sky movies would be if it were left to the likes of BOOTHY2905. We'd probably have advert breaks and a huge on screen graphic up the top corner.

If someone can post the email address i'll send in a complaint to sky movies about this and if everyone else does the same, maybe they'll listen.

I'm honestly offended that someone would assume I'd put adverts and a dog in a film. Even when we are discussing something completely different. Not sure what they have to do with losing a minute part of a film and has just been said above. Maybe the version sky got and broadcast was actually the version you're moaning about. Frankly some people have too much time on their hands IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Restorer wrote: »
    Well, yes exactly. I wonder if people have read this thread properly. Nothing is missing here. All that they (and that's the studio btw and not Sky) have done is to prepare a full 16:9 version by removing the mattes which were used to mask off the top and bottom. In a sense it was these theatrical and early DVD/Blu-ray releases which were cropped!

The director would have been fully aware of what he was shooting at the time. The version Sky is broadcasting gives you more information top and bottom so I really don't get why people are complaining :confused:.

On one hand I think its commendable that the 16:9 TV version has been taken from the original master and wasn't some pan-and-scan hatchet job as seen in the bad old days.

The same thing happened with Avatar on TV, DVD and Blu-ray. But, in that movie height was important, and the lack of black bars also helped with the 3D versions.

Whereas after watching Skyfall on Blu-ray I find the broadcast TV version jarring. The additional screen space seems filled with irrelevancies, the inside of car roofs, chair legs, feet and hands with nothing to do. That's fine on an IMAX screen, where all of that is pushed to your peripheral vision, but on a TV screen it just seems untidy.

As has already been said, first time, casual viewers most likely couldn't give a damn, but for me its all very distracting.