Options

SURVIVORS - BBC Remake (merged)

Comments

• Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    You did have to suspend belief a little bit during a lot of the death scenes and things because people seemed to die at very different rates and in some strange positions.

Yes, the Muslim boy so busy praying that he failed to notice everyone around him in the mosque dying of the plague.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Yes, the Muslim boy so busy praying that he failed to notice everyone around him in the mosque dying of the plague.

I realise that it's a drama, but that particular scene was one of many which seemed to have been staged to create some kind of visual interest, rather than maintain narrative plausability. File along with the shot of the blue car parked right in the middle of the empty car park!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I remember watching the original series in the 70s and recall being slightly freaked out by it all. This was at the time of the self sufficiency craze/hippy communes, Doomwatch and the Cold War at its peak. Survivors fitted that era perfectly.

Early days yet - but this "reimagining" just doesn't have that edge of fear or panic yet. Perhaps it will get more grim as the bodies decompose and supplies of soap run low!

(The guy in the lab was in "Holby City" - I think he was Connie Beauchamp's husband).
  • Options
    Ultra MagnusUltra Magnus Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was ok and I didn't mind the hokey/ silly death positions as much as others.

What really annoyed me though was the useless soundtrack.

Lacking any kind of defined style and at times needlessly bombastic, it reminded me of one of the things that really annoyed me about modern Dr Who.

The fact is, everyone's pretty much dead - which means there's a lot less noise in the world. Highlighting that is creepy and builds the mood.

Playing a half-arsed score over the top doesn't.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was pretty boring, to be honest. All post-apocalyptic films are the same, doesn't matter what the disaster is. Small group of survivors bands together with good intentions, travels around meeting other bands of survivors who are generally complete psychos who try to kill them. If anyone's looking for someone, they generally find them in the end, and they'll all probably start a small community on a remote Scottish island and live just like their ancestors did. I didn't really identify with any of the characters, so I'm not much bothered what happens to them. The secret lab looks interesting, but we always knew these government scientists were up to something!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty boring, to be honest. All post-apocalyptic films are the same, doesn't matter what the disaster is.

Which would kind of beg the question why watch it then?!

For what it's worth I am a big fan of the original which itsefl is a little tedious in places but then I'm sure that's exactly what life would be like if it all went to pot! I'm not really sure why TV has to be all crash-bang-wallop all the time. Personally I quite enjoyed the remake and, even though it's got that awful woman from Bonekickers in it, it's firmly on my Sky+ planner!
  • Options
    spencemspencem Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    A couple of things that that interrupted my 'suspension of disbelief', on top of the ones mentioned above.

A 1930's house has a huge great water tank in the loft, why did her shower run out after a few seconds?

If you are going to rob a bank (or whatever he did) hide your stash in your mum's water butt, the police would never think of looking there!

I'll be watching again on Tuesday, it seems you cannot watch TV without these types of things these days so may as well get used to them or not watch anything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It felt like "Holby City Does a Disaster Movie" to me. Just not quite a big enough budget to convince. I found the scenes on the A road/dual carriageway particularly unconvincing - it was filmed on a test track and thats what it looked like - way too clean as well. It wasnt a bad 90 minutes but I was disappointed.
  • Options
    odie30odie30 Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    according to the DS headlines fremma did die. bit unfortunate for her really seeing as it was her first post dr who job
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with most of the above comments. I didn't find it too bad, but it wasn't intelligent enough. There weren't any moments where I thought, "That's clever", and plenty where I thought, "That's stupid". A tiny but representative example is Abby not putting on her seatbelt before ramming the hospital door. Or people using candles instead of LED torches. I'm not saying such things wouldn't happen, but they lacked intelligence or insight or anything. There wasn't a lot of reward for watching.

I did like the sequence where Abby woke up and went next door etc. I found that more effective than the sequence in 28 Days Later with the guy waking up in hospital.
  • Options
    BugPowderDustBugPowderDust Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it was enjoyable but very luke-warm. The whole point of these 'something kills everyone with a few survivors' dramas is to get the collapse of civilisation properly done. THAT is what gives us viewers the willies, knowing that the difference between our comfortable lives and disaster is what we're watching.

Unfortunately, it wasn't done very well, too many plot holes (eg. most people would've died in bed, slowly wasting away, but yet all the people dead in the praying position in a Mosque indicating a quick death. Eh?), the lack of bodies and cars ALL over the place etc etc

It is only ep. 1, so I have hopes things will improve. I find Julie Graham a bit annoying though, and the guy from Numberwang, although a good actor, will always be the guy from Numberwang :D
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LarryPlane wrote: »
    I'd agree with many of the comments above. There were some moments of pure predictability, such as the woman from the club dieing in bed (hey at least he got a post-apocalyptic shag) and the fact that later he befriends the young boy and ends up in a "downsized" car...etc. And how did they outrun that petrol station explosion?

But here’s the thing. A lot of this predictability added in many ways to the tension levels. We all knew that most people would be dead by the end of episode 1, so effectively, we were watching a slow motion train crash, all the more horrifying because it could actually happen!

I watched the old series (with my mum, all those years back) and the thing that struck me here was the change in the attitude of survivors. Old series seemed to be all about "how can middle class Britton survive when Waitrose no longer opens for business" (anyone remember the potato planting scene), and now we are in modern Dog Eat Dog Britain where people grow there own but don't necessarily want to help each other, they just want to look after what they have scavenged.

So, plot line? Well, there's the guy with the Landover who "just wants to get away", there is the invertible catch up scene where we find out what our resident psycho did, and of course there is the mysterious lab... What's going on there then?

My one big criticism was showing it directly after top gear meant I had to do a 2 and half hour stint without a toilet break. But hey, I got through, I'm okay. :)

Phew ! :yawn: You should have gone when harry enfield was on, his driving is as crap as his jokes.

In the context of the 70's series it fitted in with the doom laden scenarios real and imagined that were thrown at the population.

However too much of the later parts of Survivors matched the plots of the Good Life, if they tried that now it would look like that series with the go green nutter and his family in Devon but with a lower body count.

So after the first round the original Survivors series blows away this half hearted attempt easily so far. They need to crank up the horror and shock the viewers to keep me watching .

OT - that Guardian review was poor, how could he not put a Shaun of the Dead reference in when he was watching an apocalyptic but not that bad drama.
  • Options
    Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show is getting a real roasting in the thread in the Cult forum.

I enjoyed it. Possibly because I've never seen the original, so have nothing to compare it to. It wasn't Shakespeare, and the characters are typical "disaster movie" stereotypes, but it was still a good bit of drama for an otherwise boring Sunday night and I want to see more.

I really didn't think it was that bad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    King took his inspiration from George R. Stewart's "Earth Abides", which also has no supernatural elements (it's a masterpiece of ecological fiction):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Abides

Earth Abides! One of my favourite books!
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    R V wrote: »
    So Greg Preston is now black and we've got 2 muslim characters as well. Good old PC BBC :rolleyes:
    Actually I think a true PC test will be if the lapsed muslim regains his faith.
    I rate that has a 90% chance of happening.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spencem wrote: »
    A 1930's house has a huge great water tank in the loft, why did her shower run out after a few seconds?

My 1930's house doesn't, nor did my Victorian Terrace either - they tend to get removed when a combi boiler is installed;)

Flies - there were flies around Abby's dead husband - I'm suprised so few posters noticed them:D

Overall I'm afraid I found it a tad disappointing - maybe 'cos I can remember the original & how that run out of steam toward the end?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    odie30 wrote: »
    according to the DS headlines fremma did die. bit unfortunate for her really seeing as it was her first post dr who job

She was obviously cast as geek bait for the Doctor Who crowd. ;)
  • Options
    R VR V Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    My 1930's house doesn't, nor did my Victorian Terrace either - they tend to get removed when a combi boiler is installed;)
    Flies - there were flies around Abby's dead husband - I'm suprised so few posters noticed them:D

Overall I'm afraid I found it a tad disappointing - maybe 'cos I can remember the original & how that run out of steam toward the end?

Ah yes but the shower was a power shower which you could easily see from the fittings and you can't run one of them off a combi boiler (unless you have a separate tank)

:) I really must stop this pedantry :o
  • Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    Oh one more thing,

How the hell did they film that? OK some of it will have probably been green screen/CGI etc, they can't just tell everyone to get out of London but like the motorway scene, that sure looked real to me? Did they just find a quite motorway and close it for a bit or is there a trick to these sorts of shows?

The motorway scenes were filmed at a dressed up racing track to give the impression of a motorway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »

I did like the sequence where Abby woke up and went next door etc. I found that more effective than the sequence in 28 Days Later with the guy waking up in hospital.

DId anyone notice the complete rip-off of the scene from 28 Days Later with the aerial shot of the city and the petrol station exploding. That was such a great scene in 28 Days Later that one can't blame the BBC for pinching it.

To be fair, I suppose it is always hard for the first episode of a new drama as the scene has to be set, characters introduced etc..etc..
    The original did this very very slowly ovr many weeks but today's audience seems to demand a lot more and much quicker I would say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that awful woman from Bonekickers

She must have been cast to show that incredibly irritating people like cockroaches are genetically programmed to survive the apocalypse. ;)
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Re the seat belt when driving into the door - wouldn't the airbag have gone off too?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it a poorly written, poorly acted, poorly directed, poorly edited BBC triumph?
    Did you watch it?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fringo wrote: »
    The motorway scenes were filmed at a dressed up racing track to give the impression of a motorway.

Bit stingy of the Beeb not to have had the M6 shut for a day to film there instead.
  • Options
    Ultra MagnusUltra Magnus Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    Actually I think a true PC test will be if the lapsed muslim regains his faith.
    I rate that has a 90% chance of happening.

90%?

I'd say more like 99.9.

When he was having the discussion with the kid about praying, I was surprised that neither was crushed by the anvil of foreshadowing that fell from the sky.

Still, if that happens, it's not really a PC thing. I'd say it was more of a cliche thing.