Options

How best to remove them stickers.....

pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
Forum Member
✭✭✭
.....from CD and DVD cases without ruining them ?

With the paper removed they still leave a film of sticky, gooey mess that's impossible to remove, i've tried washing up liquid, white spirit and meths with varing degres of success.

Comments

• Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steam.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    A ceramic hob scraper . Great for lifting a sticky residue .
  • Options
    windowseatwindowseat Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    the best stuff on the market is 'Sticky Stuff Remover' fom Lakelad plastics, I wouldn't be without it.

I have read however that if you spread mayonnaise on it on leave it to soak in, wipe it off after a while. Keep on with the treatment until it disappears.
  • Options
    windowseatwindowseat Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Don't whatever you do is use 'Cif' or likewise, it will just mark the plastic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    I'm happy with a little bit of wd-40 sprayed onto a tissue and given a couple of seconds to lose the full wetness before gently wiping at the sticky bits.

I've been okay doing this even on the shiny cardboard cases that dvd box-sets come in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Babyoil removes stickers.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use any of the proprietary label remover aerosols. Judging by the smell, the stuff is made from orange peel.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I stick strong (proper) Sellotape over the (dry) sticky bit, rub it down firmly and slowly pull it up, trying several times - with new tape if necessary - until it's gone. It always works for me. I've found that using anything wet usually ends up ruining the plastic.
  • Options
    TheSwordTheSword Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silicon cleaner, removes anything sticky.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WD-40 for me as well or baby wipes which seem to clean just about anything
  • Options
    SaylemSaylem Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Nail polish remover works well
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lighter fluid (unlit!) works pretty well too.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Razor blade. https://www.google.com/search?q=razor+blade&hl=en&pws=0&gl=uk&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=x17nT5SZE4eH8gP0p4ClCg&ved=0CHcQsAQ&biw=1348&bih=468

Wind half a dozen turns of insulating tape or masking tape against the side you fingers will be pushing.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    those stickers...

sorry
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Lighter fluid (unlit!) works pretty well too.

Seconded
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Not sure how to remove the gooey/sticky mess left after pulling stickers off things but I use my hairdryer to remove price stickers etc from things to avoid this happening. The hot air heats the glue, meaning the sticker can be easily pulled off without leaving a sticky mess.
  • Options
    daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow- this problem has always really annoyed me. Can't believe there are so many solutions that work!

I wish the retailers would all just use the nice easypeel stickers and save us the trauma ;)
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Petrol disolves the glue.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I'd recommend the Scotch Easy Clean Pen. It's fantastic for removing labels and it takes off stains and greasy marks from lots of other things as well, PVCu and glass for example. I wouldn't be without one now.

They are hard to get hold of though, and expensive. Lidl have them in stock occaisonally for a very low price, but at the moment they are cheapest online from Scotch themselves for £8.56 inc del., or from Clas Ohlson at £3.99 for the pen but I can't see the delivery price on the page, but there's a phone number and local store locator: http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=162662029
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote here for WD40. :)

I bought a black glass tv unit (I know, dust magnet lol) which had a huge sticker on the top.

I removed the sticker and it left all the glue behind. Grrrr A quick skoosh of WD40 and it removed it, and no damage done to the unit.

I use it wherever I can; to remove black scuff marks from shoes on floors, removing glue from a pair of trousers, to clean (and repel fingerprints) on my stainless steel bin lid... etc

Ohh, and it smells great as well. :o
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    isoproply alcohol.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    WD-40 for me as well or baby wipes which seem to clean just about anything

Works every time!
  • Options
    pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow- this problem has always really annoyed me. Can't believe there are so many solutions that work!

I wish the retailers would all just use the nice easypeel stickers and save us the trauma ;)

Ah yes, the reason for the Permanent Stickers is that in second hand CD/DVD stores some unscrupulous customers remove the £7 sticker and put on a £1 sticker then take it to the cash desk wallah hoping he/she won't notice .

Thanks for the tips, in my experience using lighter fuel leaves a cloudiness in the clear plastic.

It's INFURIATING :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Use a small amount of petrol