Options

High Definition and World Cup football?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
Forum Member
Okay i'm a bit puzzled with this one..

We keep hearing about Sky HD and the FIFA World Cup is mentioned in the same breath by plasma tv salesmen at places like Comet and Currys, but with Sky now announcing that they will only have 4 or 5 channels at launch... (Sky one, Sky sports, Sky movies, Artsworld etc)..

Now as far as i know, only the BBC and ITV have the rights to show the World Cup.. so given that neither broadcaster has immediate plans to get onto Sky HD .. how are we going to be seeing the World cup in high def? (hmm.. Prem Plus HD ? ! :D )

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I imagine either of the channels will be ready to broadcast via Sky HD by next summer if not at the start of the service (presumably earlier in the year). The BBC has announced plans for broadcasting HD content 'Freeview Style' by 2010, but that doesn't mean it won't make use of Sky HD for the world Cup. Thats my opinion anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    I think the world cup maybe be recorded/shown live in HD quality, but this may mean a limited number of stations/channels/services actually available to show it.

Possibly that european hd service (sorry can't remember the name - it usually shows music and concerts) may pick it up???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Bobbyk wrote:
    Possibly that european hd service

HD1 & HD2, I think it will be very unlikely that the BBC let alone ITV will show be broadcasting in HD by next summer. It will of course be filmed in HD, just not broadcast in HD in the UK - I guess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I know of only one broadcaster whom announced it will broadcast in HD and that is Premiere in germany and that is a encoded channel. The other german FTA broadcasters will do 'normal' widescreen broadcast so far.

You can read the full annoucement of Premiere here:

http://info.premiere.de/inhalt/eng/medienzentrum_news_uk_11122004.jsp

I read somewhere else that it will be produced in 1080i by the way.

Wim
  • Options
    Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    The BBC plans for HD are well on track, they've booked up extra transponder space and have been producing (experimentally at first) in HD for years.

I think there's a fair chance that the BBC could show HD World Cup games, no chance ITV though.

Also, HD coverage of the World Cup has previously been experimental, less than half the available cameras compared to the SD setup. That's why last time round the BBC & ITV took the 4:3 SD coverage (and got loads of complaints from people buying new sets based on Dixons & Currys ads saying "Watch the World Cup in widescreen"!) rather than downgrading the 16:9 HD pictures - the coverage wasn't as good. This time round, being in Germany where things are going full swing with HD, I won't be surprised to see it all being a HD setup with SD conversions (haven't seen what the plans are yet though). At the very least it'll mean we all get to watch it in widescreen!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The BBC plans for HD are well on track, they've booked up extra transponder space and have been producing (experimentally at first) in HD for years.

I think there's a fair chance that the BBC could show HD World Cup games, no chance ITV though.

Also, HD coverage of the World Cup has previously been experimental, less than half the available cameras compared to the SD setup. That's why last time round the BBC & ITV took the 4:3 SD coverage (and got loads of complaints from people buying new sets based on Dixons & Currys ads saying "Watch the World Cup in widescreen"!) rather than downgrading the 16:9 HD pictures - the coverage wasn't as good. This time round, being in Germany where things are going full swing with HD, I won't be surprised to see it all being a HD setup with SD conversions (haven't seen what the plans are yet though). At the very least it'll mean we all get to watch it in widescreen!

The BBC have been producing HD for the american market for years. They've only lacked a medium to deliver it to the UK - they could have leased a transponder and but what use is a box for the UK market that doesn't have NDS/Sky support. The BBC have been waiting for Sky to launch HD boxes before it makes any sense for the BBC to broadcast.

Once the boxes are out I'd expect the BBC to be showing some HD within a very short space of time. The problem is if Sky get the boxes out in May that might scupper the BBCs plans for HD in June.

It wouldn't surprise me as you'd expect Sky to want to showcase the Premiership first.
  • Options
    mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    We will have next years World Cup in Widescreen. See www.hostbroadcastservices.com for full details of the production plan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mromega wrote:
    We will have next years World Cup in Widescreen. See www.hostbroadcastservices.com for full details of the production plan.

Great site.

Pulled this from it:
    A minimum of 20 widescreen HDTV cameras will be used for each match (to compare to only 8 for the 48 matches covered in this format in 2002). The availability and number of HD SSMs cameras is still to be confirmed.

They're not going to all this trouble for Premiere Germany to exclusively handle it and no-one internationally to get it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine either of the channels will be ready to broadcast via Sky HD by next summer if not at the start of the service (presumably earlier in the year). The BBC has announced plans for broadcasting HD content 'Freeview Style' by 2010, but that doesn't mean it won't make use of Sky HD for the world Cup. Thats my opinion anyway.

The BBC is not on Sky - it's contracts with Sky are for EPG information only. If HD BBC is broadcast for the world cup it will be via the BBC's Astra transponder
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jfman wrote:
    Great site.

Pulled this from it:

They're not going to all this trouble for Premiere Germany to exclusively handle it and no-one internationally to get it.

Yeah, very interesting, looks like on interactive we might be getting the likes of PlayerCam and that tatical screen the BBC used last time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I am pretty sure every broadcast with the right to broadcast will be able to get (or might even get) the HD quality picture. The problem is; do they have the abilty to deliver it to to you either via satelite, cable, internet or land trasnmitter.

On top of that you can count the number of viewers whom are able to display 1080i full resolutions on their tv if they decided to broadcast it the format they get it from the germans. Not to speak over the number of receivers whom can handle Mpeg4 as it will be broadcasted here in Germany.
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    The BBC will probably only use the HD for outside screens (like they did with Live8 in Cardiff and also to record the HD feed of the World Cup for future transmisison when their HD service launches full time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Sky would love the BBC to broadcast games in HD and I would imaging they are doing everything they can to ensure that the BBC does broadcast them in that format.

I'm sure we will hear lost more on this subject over the next few months.
  • Options
    dabotsonlinedabotsonline Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Any update on this? Would BBC and ITV show their HDTV recordings on Sky HD?

How likely would it be for pubs to show the Premiere broadcasts from Germany?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well as yet we have no idea if Sky will even have their HD boxes out by then.

Call me a cynic, but with this Premiership season being as entertaining as a hernia I can see Sky stalling on Sky+ HD so they can say they 'revolutionised tv' by being first to broadcast HDTV football in August after launching the boxes at the end of July.

It is unlikely pubs would show Premiere HDTV.

Maybe Sky will get their finger out now that Telewest are going to be first with HDTV in the UK, next month trialling with a launch in Q1 2006. Telewest indicated they hope to show World Cup in HD via the BBC.
  • Options
    hxbrohxbro Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gardien wrote:
    On top of that you can count the number of viewers whom are able to display 1080i full resolutions on their tv if they decided to broadcast it the format they get it from the germans. Not to speak over the number of receivers whom can handle Mpeg4 as it will be broadcasted here in Germany.

Surely the football will be 720p, 1080i isn't suitable for sports with fast moving action, you get too many jaggies ?
  • Options
    mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    HBS have set 1080i as their format for the World Cup. Like you i'm not sure whether this is a good idea.

Sky are definitely doing their football and rugby in 720p.
  • Options
    Roger G CamRoger G Cam Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Read me.

Roger
  • Options
    RuokasiRuokasi Posts: 3,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just wondering if someone might consider selling the rights to things like the World Cup in SD and HD seperately? Just like SkyOne may show Nip/Tuck as they have the multichannel rights but then Ch4 will also show it because they have the terrestrial rights.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I was wondering, haven't the Japaneese been enjoying several World Cups in HD already?

I think I read somewhere that they were already transmitting in HD to their domestic audience from the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona!

And what about the Americans (I know soccer isn't big there)? Did ESPN (or whichever channel showed the World Cup over there in 2002) show it in HD?

hxbro wrote:
    Surely the football will be 720p, 1080i isn't suitable for sports with fast moving action, you get too many jaggies ?

Good question! We all know how 576i looks on flat panels (LCDs, plasmas and DLPs), so apart from the higher resolution why should 1080i look any different?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's amazing all this conjecture and no-one bothers to give the only definitive and honest answer to the question.....

dunno!
  • Options
    rcman2rcman2 Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Hitchcock wrote:
    What about the Americans (I know soccer isn't big there)? Did ESPN (or whichever channel showed the World Cup over there in 2002) show it in HD?

No, we did not get any HD for 2002. However we will this time around:

"ABC and ESPN will broadcast their fourth straight World Cup next year and will televise all 64 games in high definition."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=339604&cc=5901
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info. Nice to hear from someone in the States! :)

I wonder if any people in Japan are also on this forum ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    glenmcfar wrote:
    It's amazing all this conjecture and no-one bothers to give the only definitive and honest answer to the question.....

dunno!

Yep, the facts as they are at the moment - the BBC will be broadcasting in HD next year on as many platforms as possible, are already producing in HD (for example Bleak House) and would "hope the World Cup would be a part of the trial but that has still to be confirmed."

No chance of the ITV games being in HD though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, the facts as they are at the moment - the BBC will be broadcasting in HD next year on as many platforms as possible, are already producing in HD (for example Bleak House) and would "hope the World Cup would be a part of the trial but that has still to be confirmed."

No chance of the ITV games being in HD though.

I would totally agree.

Having annonunced they will broadcast HD content their problem will be finding the content and the World Cup will be an easy target as all the matches will be in HD and unlike the last World Cup with the HD feed was a subset of the total feed next year it will be the full feed.

So I think we can look forward to all the BBC games in HD. As to ITV you could well be right of course being a commercial organisation they may still be persyaded to take the plunge - there is a lot a stake for Sky and a helping hand would be in Sky's interest. :)