Beckham to donate salary to charity

Comments

• missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    So, it seems that althouh people are saying that it's great that he's raising awareness for this charity, no-one has actually said who the charity are.

Great publicity, eh?

The only ones getting publicity are Brand Beckham and the Emirate owned 'French' football club now selling Beckham branded shirts at minimum Euro 85 a pop!
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try not to be too offended/bored by people expressing a different opinion of a celebrity to the one you hold. I would imagine it makes enjoying your participation in a showbiz gossip forum a tad difficult! :p

I quite agree.

Everyone has different opinions; and if we didn't, this would be an incredibly pointless forum.

As long as people can back up their opinions with intelligent reasons then why shouldn't they have their say? It's when people start criticising other FM's as 'bitter' and other such nuances just because someone dares criticise Dave's motives! Or similarly, says that people who like him are 'naive' and 'silly'. For heaven's sake....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice gesture, but better if it had gone 50/50 to a kids charity in France and one in the UK rather that 100% to France seeing as he's a British citizen.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/31/david-beckham-paris-saint-germain

So just on the basis that he is British he should give to the UK? Jesh is'nt it enough that he is even doing it? Some people will always put a dampner on a good deed
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, it seems that although people are saying that it's great that he's raising awareness for this charity, no-one has actually said, or seems to know, who the charity are.

Great publicity, eh?

I do think the PR aspect to date has been pretty poor here.

Although I'm still solidly in the corner of a charity getting funding=a good thing, to make the announcement but fail to name the charity or have a rep from the charity at the press conference is just cack-handed PR and makes it look like it's all about the gesture rather than the charity. I guess there'll be further news about the beneficiary further down the line but I do think they could have played this more intelligently and in a way that wouldn't have generated quite so much scepticism.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    I do think the PR aspect to date has been pretty poor here.

Although I'm still solidly in the corner of a charity getting funding=a good thing, to make the announcement but fail to name the charity or have a rep from the charity at the press conference is just cack-handed PR and makes it look like it's all about the gesture rather than the charity. I guess there'll be further news about the beneficiary further down the line but I do think they could have played this more intelligently and in a way that wouldn't have generated quite so much scepticism.

Bang on Lexi. Sadly, this is why a lot of people are saying that it seems more about David than the actual charity itself.

I'm surprised actually; surely DB must have the best PR team money can buy? Why has it been so lax? A pretty poor show all round.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok here's a thought I think all this is about publicity it's what the Beckhams crave above EVERYTHING else there is hardly a day either of them are pictured in a magazine or paper doing the the most mundane thing .

Why could Beckham not have done this on the quiet, He really wants that knighthood doesn't he
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    Ok here's a thought I think all this is about publicity it's what the Beckhams crave above EVERYTHING else there is hardly a day either of them are pictured in a magazine or paper doing the the most mundane thing .

Why could Beckham not have done this on the quiet, He really wants that knighthood doesn't he

Rumour is that has always given loads to charity and never made big deal of it.

I think using his status to highlight charitable giving is exactly the right thing to do. Celebs have a lot of power and influence and he is using that in exactly the right way.

I gave some money to charity today for the first time in quite a while because reading this story made me realise how long its been. A good thing all around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tokenator wrote: »
    Rumour is that has always given loads to charity and never made big deal of it.

I think using his status to highlight charitable giving is exactly the right thing to do. Celebs have a lot of power and influence and he is using that in exactly the right way.
    I gave some money to charity today for the first time in quite a while because reading this story made me realise how long its been. A good thing all around.

I would dispute that entirely.

Using his status to highlight a particular charity is a great thing; but as has been pointed out, all we know of this charity is that it's a Parisian children's charity; we know nothing of who they are, what they do etc.

Does David Beckham donating his salary to charity in this way really sway people to do the same? I would strongly contest that.. I give what I can of my monthly salary to Barnardo's - it's not much, but it's what I can afford; I've been doing this for years. I know lots of other people who donate to causes in a similar way. I don't think your average person in the street is that myopic or unaware that it takes David Beckham to suddenly make them realise that donating money to charity is a good thing; I think that's a fallacy that treats the public like fools.
  • Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow this guy is just a walking PR machine, anything to help his brand and folk just eat it right up. Lets be clear here; all footballers give to charity, but they don't announce it.
  • Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    even the press are calling nothing more than a media stunt

Is this a new rhyming slang phrase for DB?
    And we have people complaining that it's going to a French charity when he's British!!! Seriously??? .

Damn straight we do sunshine. If he's expecting a knighthood at the end of this stunt, he'd better give some of it to UK charities.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he's expecting a knighthood at the end of this stunt, he'd better give some of it to UK charities.

I would hazard a guess that he already does.
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glinny wrote: »
    Why did he have to make his charitable gesture so public?
    If he wanted to do something like that just do it privately.

There are plenty of wealthy people who do this sort of thing all the time anomously without any fuss or the look at me look what I have done.

Appears to me he will do anything to make himself look like Mr Wonderful - is he so desperate for the title Sir David Beckham and the miserable looking wife of his Lady Beckham.

All of the posters calling the cynics bitter and mean yadda, yadda, yadda should read this post; then think about it for a minute and engage their brains before they post again.

There was absolutely NO reason for this to be publicised; none - other than self-aggrandisement. People are shockingly gullible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow this guy is just a walking PR machine, anything to help his brand and folk just eat it right up. Lets be clear here; all footballers give to charity, but they don't announce it.

I've said this before. I know two people one of whom works in a major hospital in Cork and another who works with the Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind. Roy Keane is tireless in the work he does for both charities. He donates a huge amount of money to both. A certain amount - to raise awareness, he does publicly. Most of it, however, is behind closed doors; completely at HIS insistence. He's been known to throw quite a tantrum if someone gives the media a tip off about his endeavours. I ONLY know this because I know staff members. He'd literally walk away if the charities tried to use his name and disclose how much he actually does.

Beckham, I believe, would announce a press conference if he was going to put a coin in a street-collector's tin.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    All of the posters calling the cynics bitter and mean yadda, yadda, yadda should read this post; then think about it for a minute and engage their brains before they post again.

There was absolutely NO reason for this to be publicised; none - other than self-aggrandisement. People are shockingly gullible.

Does it really matter why it was publicised? It's money going to charity for whatever reason, it isn't illegal money as far as I know so why not.

Noone can know why David did this, noone can prove it one way or the other, only David knows.

I like to give him the benefit of the doubt because he is definitely our National Treasure, yes, he is'nt perfect but then who is? I feel his heart is always in the right place.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    I've said this before. I know two people one of whom works in a major hospital in Cork and another who works with the Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind. Roy Keane is tireless in the work he does for both charities. He donates a huge amount of money to both. A certain amount - to raise awareness, he does publicly. Most of it, however, is behind closed doors; completely at HIS insistence. He's been known to throw quite a tantrum if someone gives the media a tip off about his endeavours. I ONLY know this because I know staff members. He'd literally walk away if the charities tried to use his name and disclose how much he actually does.

Beckham, I believe, would announce a press conference if he was going to put a coin in a street-collector's tin.

So he's not Irish patsy, is that the problem?:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So he's not Irish patsy, is that the problem?:D

I'm from Cork so I know people who know Roy Keane. It's tiny - Cork. Usually only two degrees of separation and if you go back any distance, most of us are related. :p

I think he shouldn't have publicised it. It's a good thing to do but the publicity kills it. Simples. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    So what of he went public with it and if he's just dying for a knighthood, at least he's doing it! I'm sure this isn't the first time he's made a significant charity donation and we don't hear of those.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this thread in the Showbiz section?

OK, I know David will eventually be knighted for services to showbusiness, but this is actually football story & a great one at that.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    Getting a bit cheesed off with people saying they wished other well paid footballers did more, like Becks has done.

Well, a lot of them do, but they don't announce it to everyone in a press conference.

Didier Drogba has a Foundation and has built a hospital in his country of the Ivory Coast, for example.

Craig Bellamy also runs a football academy/school in Sierra Leone, completely financed by himself too.

All these players that do these things should get more publicity for their efforts
  • SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm from Cork so I know people who know Roy Keane. It's tiny - Cork. Usually only two degrees of separation and if you go back any distance, most of us are related. :p

I think he shouldn't have publicised it. It's a good thing to do but the publicity kills it. Simples. ;)

And however valid your argument is "Simples" kills it stone dead!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadeyed wrote: »
    And however valid your argument is "Simples" kills it stone dead!

'Twas a joke - note the emoticon.
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's not doing that for nothing it's publicity publicity publicity :rolleyes:
    They will make fortunes from fashion sales,

Why don't they actually give some Millions away now that would be something,

But of course those who can spare Millions would never do that.:cool:
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His wages will go to a hospice i believe..
    But he will still do very well without the money. his contracts for clothes and perfume are worth many millions of pounds..and he is in a positioon financially to be able live like a king forever,even if he retires now...
    This si what i think will happen to him when he retires from playing/
    1. become a director of a well known football club some suggest PSG or real madrid...and buy shares in the company.
    2. become knighted by the queen within 10 years
    3.to be president of FIFA or CEO of the FA .
    4. to become a grandfather in 20 years time..
    5. buy his own island near the canaries.