Options

Would you be happy to pay an increase in tax to make work optional?

Comments

• Options
    Shirley CarterShirley Carter Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    But is this not the point? forcing people to work who do not want to is treating them like robots. If people really do not want to work they will find a way and do. In fact i would say its human nature if they are allowed to not work anyways then it might loose its appeal being on very low money.

Yes but other people shouldn't be forced to pay for other people who can't be bothered.

If you don't want to work then don't, but you're going to have to become self sufficient because a life claiming jobseekers is coming to an end.
  • Options
    Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really as even now they are jobs what pay less then benefits do I know two people and their boss as told them both that if they quit the would get more on benefits than they do now

It's not easy to get those benefits though anymore, you have to be disabled or have mental illness. If you could just stroll up and claim a citizens wage millions will.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    It's not easy to get those benefits though anymore, you have to be disabled or have mental illness. If you could just stroll up and claim a citizens wage millions will.

You fear they will. That doesn't mean it would happen.
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't believe people want to better their lives just by working to buy things.
    I believe people want to better themselves by adding to the sum total of existence, rather than lounging around.

It is only in a society that devalues people that people want to play on their playstations and watch Daytime TV.

The simple and harsh truth is though that people have to sustain themselves. People will never advocate a society that sees a percentage of their labour taken from them to keep those who choose to be parasites, doing as they please.
  • Options
    greendayfan6greendayfan6 Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An it seems in some countries people want to steal out the pocket of hard working honest folk so they can keep scrounging. Don't want to work? Fine don't dont scrounge from those that do. Become self supporting.

It's not stealing if we all have the same choice.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fink wrote: »
    The simple and harsh truth is though that people have to sustain themselves. People will never advocate a society that sees a percentage of their labour taken from them to keep those who choose to be parasites, doing as they please.
    Will this be the same Government who from October will consider those working under 35 hours a week and claiming Universal Credit "parasites"?
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Not really as even now they are jobs what pay less then benefits do I know two people and their boss as told them both that if they quit the would get more on benefits than they do now

Eh? You're making Hugh's point for him. The individuals you mention and thousands like them would immediately quit and become a burden on the taxpayer. How the hell does that makes things any better?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You fear they will. That doesn't mean it would happen.

Why not? You don't have to prove anything, no medicals, no signing on, you just turn up claim you living wage and that's t, set for life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    fink wrote: »

Oh what little faith you have in humanity.

I know for a fact it will happen. Just like slavery was abolished.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Eh? You're making Hugh's point for him. The individuals you mention and thousands like them would immediately quit and become a burden on the taxpayer. How the hell does that makes things any better?

Not really as they haven't quit one is only off now on early maternity/sick leave as she is having a bad pregnancy but is going back once she can.

They have both been down at end of the week as the bills cost of living come to more than their wage but both have worked there for years when they know they could get more on the dole
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We'll see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not? You don't have to prove anything, no medicals, no signing on, you just turn up claim you living wage and that's t, set for life.

The Citizens Income wouldn't be a living wage.

It would be enough to live on but not enough to buy things like TVs or have holidays etc.

But do your really believe that people don't want to do something productive with their lives?
  • Options
    Shirley CarterShirley Carter Posts: 382
    Forum Member

You don't know it for a fact. A fact is something you can prove which you can't. You have an opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really as they haven't quit one is only off now on early maternity/sick leave as she is having a bad pregnancy but is going back once she can.

They have both been down at end of the week as the bills cost of living come to more than their wage but both have worked there for years when they know they could get more on the dole

You can't just quit and claim dole, I think you have to wait 6 months before you can claim if you quit willingly. What is proposed here is free money every week for life and you do t have to do anything for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Citizens Income wouldn't be a living wage.

It would be enough to live on but not enough to buy things like TVs or have holidays etc.

But do your really believe that people don't want to do something productive with their lives?

I believe you think everyone in work living a life of luxury, you're wrong. I think millions will go without a few luxuries to spend unlimited time with families. You have no idea now many workers are disillusioned working long hours for little reward.

A free wage for no effort but family time and quality of life will tempt millions.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically if you don't want to work then fine you get a very basic living wage and no questions asked. If you decide you want to work again as your sick of living on basics then you get a job.

This way everyone has the choice.

It will stop the government telling people they HAVE to get a job.

A more liberal society is a better society I think.

So I would say yes I would pay more tax and if need be we can always top up any shortfall by cutting oversea aid.

Do you agree? or are you very conservative.

Yep, great idea. Just as long as I don't have to pay any of the money I've worked for, towards it. So an opt out clause for workers who don't want to fund it, and a correspondingly larger contribution from the earners that do.

Seems fair to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe you think everyone in work living a life of luxury, you're wrong. I think millions will go without a few luxuries to spend unlimited time with families. You have no idea now many workers are disillusioned working long hours for little reward.

A free wage for no effort but family time and quality of life will tempt millions.

Which just goes to show that you believe people are working because they have to, and not because they want to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which just goes to show that you believe people are working because they have to, and not because they want to.

No they don't have to work, they could quit tomorrow. But if the opposite to the what's suggested happened everyone paid in fair everyone would benefit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Yep, great idea. Just as long as I don't have to pay any of the money I've worked for, towards it. So an opt out clause for workers who don't want to fund it, and a correspondingly larger contribution from the earners that do.

Seems fair to me.
    Society allows you to work. If it didn't want you to work it would stop you from doing so.

Other people who did want to pay the tax would be allowed to work in your place.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Caldari wrote: »
    You really are getting quite good at this baiting malarkey aren't you?

Not sure how he is getting away with it really
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No they don't have to work, they could quit tomorrow.

They can quit anytime. other people would take their place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can quit anytime. other people would take their place.

True, I know I would quit on the spot, Infact if me my mrs and oldest daughter all quit we could have quite be life. Ok I've been bought round. Someone start an e petition. We're going to need 3 mugs to row the boat whilst me and my family go and sun bathe.

But thanks for proving my point no one is forced to work
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    True, I know I would quit on the spot, Infact if me my mrs and oldest daughter all quit we could have quite be life. Ok I've been bought round. Someone start an e petition. We're going to need 3 mugs to row the boat whilst me and my family go and sun bathe.

You've done your bit to row the boat. If you want a rest I'd support it. Hopefully once you've rested you'll come back and row the boat some more.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Society allows you to work. If it didn't want you to work it would stop you from doing so.

Other people who did want to pay the tax would be allowed to work in your place.

Only you know what the hell kind of twisted weird logic that actually is lol :D;)

I'm done here. This is beyond pathetic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've done your bit to row the boat. If you want a rest I'd support it. Hopefully once you've rested you'll come back and row the boat some more.

Are you mad? I'm never rowing again, why would I you already said someone took my place so that's my excuse for not rowing.

An the boat is no worse off as someone took my place, I'm liking this idea more and more.