An Acceptable Xmas Present For Your Own Mum?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Every woman secretly loves to be gifted a tea towel. It's genetics or something.

Only with chocolates, to mop up the chocolatey drool.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking as a mum, I can honestly say that I don't expect any presents at all from my son. For one thing, he's a penniless student, and for another, I'm very difficult to buy for, as I have everything I want and need already.
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Speaking as a mum, I can honestly say that I don't expect any presents at all from my son. For one thing, he's a penniless student, and for another, I'm very difficult to buy for, as I have everything I want and need already.

That's what my Mum says. 'It's my money, I should spend it on me. Don't buy her anything'. I don't know if she really means it or not, but she sure as hell don't get anything :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as she likes the present then I don't think that it's a problem how much that you spend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    They say it is the thought that counts, but.......

568g of Thornton's chocolates & a tea towel.

That is what my brother gave my own mother as a Christmas present. I was appalled. He can easily afford to do so much better. You only have one mother!

I struggled not to say anything over Christmas while he visited. Being short for ideas is no excuse.

Am I over reacting?

What are other people's opinions of the above as a Christmas present from an adult son to his own mother? :confused:

Not a particularly imaginative choice of present but it's not something you should be getting too concerned over. Did your mum still enjoy her day? :)
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just considered the gifts as stocking fillers, without the main gift. I've just found out that she had dropped hints on items, none of which were acted upon. She's a giver, and thinks he's turned into a taker I'm afraid, as he had a monumental food spread laid on all over Christmas but didn't appear to appreciate the effort taken.
    Forum Member
    I just considered the gifts as stocking fillers, without the main gift. I've just found out that she had dropped hints on items, none of which were acted upon. She's a giver, and thinks he's turned into a taker I'm afraid, as he had a monumental food spread laid on all over Christmas but didn't appear to appreciate the effort taken.

How old is your brother?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow you have been stirring the pot with your mother, are you trying to cast him out into the wilderness?
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brother got my parents Breaking Bad Season 5 (episodes 9-16) but they hadn't seen episodes 1-8 yet, so that was quite useless :p

They got confused and actually watched 2 episodes before they realised that they had missed 8 previous episodes :D
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is your brother better looking than you, OP? Or does he have a better job or something? You seem to really resent him, and I don't believe it's just about Christmas presents.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old is your brother?

40 and in a decent paying job.

He often likes showing off the things he buys himself, and the highlight of his Christmas visit was traipsing over to the Next sale at 7am on Boxing Day to get himself more bits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

More £££

Sounds like it is you who has the issue and are happy to stoke and fuel a rift. For what gain I don't know. Inheritance?

No matter how you are trying to portray him, you are not coming across well. At all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He often likes showing off the things he buys himself, and the highlight of his Christmas visit was traipsing over to the Next sale at 7am on Boxing Day to get himself more bits.

And it's really got your goat hasn't it?

Merry Christmas :D
    Forum Member

How old are you and what did you get for your mum?

To be honest, I don't think it's a good idea to talk to your mum about this topic. It's not going to make anyone feel better, you're better off keeping your opinions to yourself.^_^
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChipPaper wrote: »
    Is your brother better looking than you, OP? Or does he have a better job or something? You seem to really resent him, and I don't believe it's just about Christmas presents.
    Steady on, this isn't personal stuff.

Yes, he has a much larger disposable income than me, yet you would never know it! Maybe some people are just more generous than others regardless of their financial state of affairs. I'd rather be the lesser loaded generous person than an affluent miser. I'm like my own mother in that regard.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Steady on, this isn't personal stuff.

Yes, he has a much larger disposable income than me, yet you would never know it! Maybe some people are just more generous than others regardless of their financial state of affairs. I'd rather be the lesser loaded generous person than an affluent miser. I'm like my own mother in that regard.

You keep going on about the money. Seems to me like you resent him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More £££

Sounds like it is you who has the issue and are happy to stoke and fuel a rift. For what gain I don't know. Inheritance?

No matter how you are trying to portray him, you are not coming across well. At all.
    No rift, or competitive issue. Just a disappointment that a little more effort couldn't be made on my mothers behalf this Christmas, considering her own efforts in his direction. That's all. Is that so wrong of me?
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No rift, or competitive issue. Just a disappointment that a little more effort couldn't be made on my mothers behalf this Christmas, considering her own efforts in his direction. That's all. Is that so wrong of me?

If you are as bothered as you say, then why did you not say something to him at the time?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes it is. It is none of your business.

If you have an issue with your brother take it up with him (unless he is away now on a gorgeous holiday).
    If your mother has an issue with your brother she should take it up with him.
    Neither of you should be in cahoots!

Of course there is a competitive issue! All of your posts in this thread smack of envy and resentment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not if you'd kept it to yourself instead of stirring the pot with your mother.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

Surely if one is wealthy, one doesn't need to go to the Next sales? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you have an issue with your brother take it up with him (unless he is away now on a gorgeous holiday).

Of course there is a competitive issue! All of your posts in this thread smack of envy and resentment.

That is not the case. It's infact the complete opposite. I'd love nothing more than for him to make my own efforts look feeble.

It seems like I have my answer. I've over-reacted, and made myself sound like the kind of person I'm very far removed from being in the process. I should have phrased my opening statement much better.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be happy with any gift my adult son chose to buy me. Chocolates are always nice and a tea towel is useful. Was it a novelty tea towel or just a plain one?
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't they just.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Surely if one is wealthy, one doesn't need to go to the Next sales? :confused:

The more some people acquire, the tighter they seem to become I'm afraid. But from my own perspective it is not about the £££ but about investing some time, thought, effort and appreciation first and foremost.

Other poster keeps on about "stirring the pot" which is not something I have even mentioned doing! A short brief discussion between mother and son (me) about the issue is hardly stirring. I'm just pleased I kept my own mouth shut over Christmas Day & Boxing Day when I felt like saying something highly sarcastic to my brother over his present buying abilities! I was sorely tempted, but behaved.