Options

Being a peodophile is a disorder not a crime?

Comments

• Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should have centres for peadophiles where they surrender themselves they would stay in the centre for the rest of their lives and are never allowed to be free again.

If I had these urges I would either surrender to a centre if available or commit suicide so I couldn't harm a child. Of course I imagine these people don't see it as causing harm to a child all they can think about is getting sexually excited and acting on it. Assisted suicide should be offered to these men and women. I don't think chemical castration works because they still have the same thoughts in their heads.

Chemical Castration reduces libido and sexual desire and thoughts , therefore to my mind that would be a better option than offering to help kill themselves.
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, it's the same as any disorder. For instance being a sociopath is not in itself a crime, although they are more likely to engage in criminal activity, which obviously is a crime.

Yeeeesss, yes it is. Primarily because being a paedo is - to all intents and purposes - the same as acting as one. Now even if you and all the other apparently naive FMs beg to differ, the fact is that being a paedophile is morally reprehensible and the line is barely distinguishable between that and acting on those urges.

If someone said to you "I wanna **** kids" but doesn't act on those urges, what would your immediate reaction be?

Although I would agree that nonces are mentally unwell, my sympathy currently lies purely with victims and the stomach ache I'm suffering from having eaten all that chocolate this weekend and reading through some of these comments.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    Yeeeesss, yes it is. Primarily because being a paedo is - to all intents and purposes - the same as acting as one. Now even if you and all the other apparently naive FMs beg to differ, the fact is that being a paedophile is morally reprehensible and the line is barely distinguishable between that and acting on those urges.

If someone said to you "I wanna **** kids" but doesn't act on those urges, what would your immediate reaction be?

Although I would agree that nonces are mentally unwell, my sympathy currently lies purely with victims and the stomach ache I'm suffering from having eaten all that chocolate this weekend and reading through some of these comments.
    Is this a parody? Surely you must grasp that someone isn't a criminal until they've at least conspired or attempted to commit a crime?
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    You think merely having the attraction is a crime?

To use a previous posters analogy, do you also believe thinking of robbing banks makes you a bank robber?

True. Back when I was a store detective, I would walk around the store thinking "How would I go about stealing things from here?". I would then do something to make that more difficult.

And yes, I'm sure we all have masterplans for robbing banks and many other ideas, but that doesn't mean we would ever do these things. There is nothing wrong in thinking things.
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    worzil wrote: »
    Absolutely right.
    You are not a criminal until you have been found guilty of a criminal act.
    That does not mean a thief is not a thief. until he is caught .

Not quite true. Anyone who commits a crime a criminal, regardless of whether they are found guilty in court. Many career criminals never get caught and most crimes go unsolved. I take your point that a thief is a thief, but someone who never steals cannot be considered a thief, and that is analogous with a paedophile who never abuses anybody.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet, as I understand it, just reading how to make a bomb is considered to be a crime.

Really?

Are you sure you don't need to be planning to do it for it to be a crime?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should have centres for peadophiles where they surrender themselves they would stay in the centre for the rest of their lives and are never allowed to be free again.

If I had these urges I would either surrender to a centre if available or commit suicide so I couldn't harm a child. Of course I imagine these people don't see it as causing harm to a child all they can think about is getting sexually excited and acting on it. Assisted suicide should be offered to these men and women. I don't think chemical castration works because they still have the same thoughts in their heads.

It's all so easy for you, isn't it Greg? :D If only the whole of the human race had your moral compass and steadfast resolve!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A paedophile is the person who is attracted sexually to prepubescent children, if they act on that then the crime they commit is sexual abuse / rape of a child. Now if someone told me I would feel repulsed, sick and disgusted, but there lies the problem if we want to help prevent child abuse then we have to look beyond being disgusted and see a way for those people to get help to not act on their urges, somewhere they can turn to..

If we just see them as "nonces" we will get nowhere, a paedophile who has not acted upon their urge has committed no crime as people cannot be prosecuted for thoughts. And surely is it not better to try and make sure that thoughts is all they remain ? or would we rather ignore it and not deal with it as it sickens us and feel sympathy to a victim after the event ?
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    What I think is that people conflate ideas all the time: paedophilia with child abuse, atheism with anti-theism, opposition to immigration policy with racism...etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet, as I understand it, just reading how to make a bomb is considered to be a crime.

Not quite, if it was then that would make every author, playwrite or script writer a criminal for doing research for their characters in crime dramas.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's completely and utterly wrong - if we start prosecuting people for their thoughts, rather than their actions, the prisons would be full to bursting.
    You could want to murder your wife or husband or Mother or Father or boss.
    Until you do it you are not a murderer and cannot be prosecuted for fantasising about it.

There is absolutely no doubt that you know someone who is a paedophile. There are so many of them around, we all must know some. So if no one has ever said to you that they want to **** a child it's because they know you're not one and would take a very dim view indeed of hearing such a thing.
    It's the same for the halfwits who chuck pigs into Mosques or vandalise the Jewish cemetery or want to kick a person of X ethnicity to death or who want to rape little old ladies or who want to go to dog or cock fights - if you know what you want to do is illegal or immoral or criminal, you're only going to discuss it with people you know are like you.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    No, but a thief is not a thief if they are only thinking about stealing something.

Just someone unpleasant to avoid if you can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not at all true. I know how a nuclear bomb works, having read about it. I also know the difference between that and a thermonuclear (hydrogen) bomb. I read all about it on Wikipedia. I could post you the link if you like. However, if we start PMing each other with plans to smuggle yellowcake, or details of how to make conventional explosives from household products, then you'll probably get a knock at your door. So don't do it! ;-)
  • Options
    skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I would agree that nonces are mentally unwell, my sympathy currently lies purely with victims ...

If a paedophile doesn't act on his or her urges, he or she has no victims.

Might be a bit obvious that.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True. Back when I was a store detective, I would walk around the store thinking "How would I go about stealing things from here?". I would then do something to make that more difficult.

And yes, I'm sure we all have masterplans for robbing banks and many other ideas, but that doesn't mean we would ever do these things. There is nothing wrong in thinking things.

I would disagree. I think there is something wrong in having sexual fantasies about children.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a program recently on TV where a guy came out and said he fancied kids and didn't want to be that guy now here in the uk to get help he'd of needed to of actually done something to a kid to of got help...surely in this day and age we can help people to get the correct help so they don't cause any trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a parody? Surely you must grasp that someone isn't a criminal until they've at least conspired or attempted to commit a crime?

I agree totally that the post you were replying to was ludicrous. About your other point : I'm sure I've read a few court reports on the basis that an action may be innocent in itself (no actus reus), but, in the circumstances, it's sole intent was in preparing for a crime.

Hence it became a crime, even if the planned crime never took place.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,928
    Forum Member
    The vast majority of pedophiles live relatively normal lives, have careers, marriage, kids, etc, without anyone ever suspecting. They just have the ability to put away their thoughts which they know are unacceptable to most.

It's a minority who can't control it and then act on it who become criminals.

I think people would be shocked at the things that really go on in people's minds up and down the street they live on....
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    There was a program recently on TV where a guy came out and said he fancied kids and didn't want to be that guy now here in the uk to get help he'd of needed to of actually done something to a kid to of got help...surely in this day and age we can help people to get the correct help so they don't cause any trouble in the first place?

Yes, I watched the documentary not long ago. He came over very likeable surprisingly, and was obviously desperate for help, didn't want the thoughts he had and would love to be different. It was a surprising interview, helped by the fact that he was a smart, very self-aware man who just wanted help. I thought he was pretty brave doing it ... mad but brave.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One of the most ridiculous posts i have ever read on here
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    One of the most ridiculous posts i have ever read on here

Indeed
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    Paedophilia is the disorder, the victims left in the Paedophiles wake are the result of crimes against them.

Its a cowardly, sneaky, vile disorder IMO.
  • Options
    sleepasleepa Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to veer off topic slightly, there is a circle to square here:
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Really?

Are you sure you don't need to be planning to do it for it to be a crime?
    I know how a nuclear bomb works, having read about it. [...] I read all about it on Wikipedia.

'A British law student, who was cleared in the UK's first secret terror trial of plotting an attack, has been jailed for 42 months for possessing a bomb-making manual.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32142038
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    bookcover wrote: »
    Paedophilia is the disorder, the victims left in the Paedophiles wake are the result of crimes against them.

Its a cowardly, sneaky, vile disorder IMO.

As said elsewhere if they can suppress their desires there are no victims. They still have the disorder. And there's sod all they can do about it.
  • Options
    himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just think what sixty years has done to public attitudes towards homosexual acts.