The best striker in the world?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,590
    Forum Member
    TH14 wrote:
    Henry get criticisized for not performing on the international stage but whenever I've seen Trezeguet for France he's been abysmal. He scoresd goals for Juve but is no better than predators like RvN and Owen

I agree. I wouldn't put Trezeguet in my top 10 strikers in the world, he's very over-rated.

Speaking of top tens...here's my top 10 strikers at the moment:

1) Henry
    2) Shevchenko
    3) Eto'o (I'd forgot about him actually, good call myangel)
    4) Rooney
    5) Ronaldo
    6) Adriano
    7) Ibrahimovic
    8) Owen
    9) van Nistelrooy
    10) Totti

Honourable mentions to Crespo and Larsson. And here's where I get told I've forgotten someone really obvious...:p :D
    Im not saying that Rooney is better than Henry..... but what im saying is rooney has qualities than Henry hasnt got and Vice - Versa. What i can safely say though is that in time.... Rooney will be far better than Henry.

If Rooney is ever even just as good as Henry he will be a magnificient player. I think if he is 'far better' than Henry then we're looking at someone on the level of Pele or Maradona - I don't think Rooney will ever be that good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    now i dont really know the bloke but those who know rekon Carlos Tevez is a pretty special player

Carols Tevez
  • spankyplugsspankyplugs Posts: 14,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both Henry and Trezeguet perform at international level (31 goals each) but they've yet to light up a tournament. Both played well at 98, but then so did the entire squad, bar Stephane Guiv'arch of course...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,842
    Forum Member
    demorules wrote:
    I agree. I wouldn't put Trezeguet in my top 10 strikers in the world, he's very over-rated.

Speaking of top tens...here's my top 10 strikers at the moment:

1) Henry
    2) Shevchenko
    3) Eto'o (I'd forgot about him actually, good call myangel)
    4) Rooney
    5) Ronaldo
    6) Adriano
    7) Ibrahimovic
    8) Owen
    9) van Nistelrooy
    10) Totti

Honourable mentions to Crespo and Larsson. And here's where I get told I've forgotten someone really obvious...:p :D
    I also think Trezeguet is very overated. I also think Eto'o is overated at times. He's good but i think compared to others he's not as clinical.

My top 10 would look more like:
    1. Henry
    2. Shevchenko
    3. Rooney
    4. Ronaldo
    5. Adriano
    6. Eto'o
    7. van Nistlerooy
    8. Inzaghi
    9. Crespo
    10. Toni

Ibrahimovic is too hit and miss imo. He's either really impressive or terrible. A fit Owen is obviously high up as well but thats too rare a thing these days. Also mentions for Torres and Gilardino.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,751
    Forum Member
    well depends on what you mean by striker.. also assuming you only talking about current players

if you just talking about an out and out striker of the old school who just puts the ball into the net then would say Nist or Shearer, athough he just retired..

if you talking about all round play and creativity around the box then maybe Ronaldinho, or Henry or Rooney
  • stuart pidcockstuart pidcock Posts: 875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeus wrote:
    Any thoughts? Many say it's Shevchenko, without a doubt. But some say no, it's Henry. Some still say Ronaldo. Then there's Vieri, Trezequet, Adriano, Crespo, Rooney...
    when at there peak id say

ronaldo was the most rubbish of them!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Andriy Shevchenko has been a consistent goalscorer woth Dinamo Kyiv,Ukraine and in Serie A.Henry was a flop in Italy and has only begun to score regularly for France in recent years.There's little to choose between them now but Shevchenko has a better overall record.
  • dabotsonlinedabotsonline Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Shevchenko a shade ahead of Henry. Rooney is an incredible talent though and could end up having a better career than both.
  • mattwoodfieldmattwoodfield Posts: 6,036
    Forum Member
    No way is shevchenko the best in the world..... Henry is by far!!!!

Rooney comes close though, and imo will be in the next 2 years!
  • Simon1984Simon1984 Posts: 5,792
    Forum Member
    For me a strikers job is to put the ball in the back of the net and IMO Ruud Van Nistelrooy is the best at doing this. His record speaks for itself.
    Forum Member
    Simon1984 wrote:
    For me a strikers job is to put the ball in the back of the net and IMO Ruud Van Nistelrooy is the best at doing this. His record speaks for itself.
    But then surely someone like Henry who scores just as many, but also assists alot is a better player??

Also if your talking just putting the ball in the back of the net then imo Inzaghi is just as good RvN.
    Forum Member
    ash132 wrote:
    But then surely someone like Henry who scores just as many, but also assists alot is a better player??

Also if your talking just putting the ball in the back of the net then imo Inzaghi is just as good RvN.

Sorry I thought this thread was best striker, not best player.

Inzaghi's career record

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filippo_Inzaghi

Henry's career record

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/bsp/hi/football/statistics/players/h/henry_22698.stm

Van Nistelrooy's career record

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/bsp/hi/football/statistics/players/v/van_nistelrooy_47691.stm

I rest my case. Van Nistelrooy is far more prolific at Domestic, European and International level.
  • Faxy FowlerFaxy Fowler Posts: 17,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am baffled as to how people think Trezeguet is overrated.

31 goals in 61 internationals.
    87 goals for Juventus in 135 Serie A matches.
    53 goals in 92 matches for Monaco.

By any standards his strike rate is phenomenal. He's good at what he does, and what he does a fair bit of is just put the ball in the back of the net. He's not as spectacular as Henry etc, but he is a top drawer centre forward and should fall within the top 10 on just about any credible list. And if he's seen as selfish, well big deal, the great strikers generally tend to be.

I'd suggest at present, its

1. Eto'o
    2. Shevchenko
    3. Henry

The list behind those three would fluctuate wildly dependent on form etc. I suppose after this World Cup Luca Toni might start to feature more heavily on polls like this.
    Forum Member
    Simon1984 wrote:
    Sorry I thought this thread was best striker, not best player.

Inzaghi's career record

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filippo_Inzaghi

Henry's career record

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/bsp/hi/football/statistics/players/h/henry_22698.stm

Van Nistelrooy's career record

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/bsp/hi/football/statistics/players/v/van_nistelrooy_47691.stm

I rest my case. Van Nistelrooy is far more prolific at Domestic, European and International level.
    personally i've always been radical enough to believe theres more to a striker than simply his strike record. Even then i'd be surprised if people like Ronaldo and Larsson didn't have a better record than van Nistlerooy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ash132 wrote:
    personally i've always been radical enough to believe theres more to a striker than simply his strike record. Even then i'd be surprised if people like Ronaldo and Larsson didn't have a better record than van Nistlerooy.

So what else is there to recommend a striker above his actual strike record? I think there is a seperate category for support strikers and linkmen and its better to judge them on that basis, eg Raul, Totti, Del Piero etc.

I'd expect Larsson's record to better everyones given his years in the piss easy SPL, Van Nistelrooy would fill his boots in that division.
    Forum Member
    So what else is there to recommend a striker above his actual strike record? I think there is a seperate category for support strikers and linkmen and its better to judge them on that basis, eg Raul, Totti, Del Piero etc.

I'd expect Larsson's record to better everyones given his years in the piss easy SPL, Van Nistelrooy would fill his boots in that division.
    but clearly a striker who scores a hatful of goals but also contributes to the team as a whole is better than just an in the box striker. thats why i'd put Henry and Shevchenko above van Nistlerooy.
    You don't only judge a keeper by how many goals he concedes so you shouldn't just judge a striker by goals.

But who's to say if Larsson was in the man utd team with the service van Nistlerooy recieves he wouldn't score as many as Ruud has? If Andy Cole can then why not Larsson.
  • joedjoed Posts: 1,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it has to be the king of kings Henrik Larsson and then Samuel Eto'o
  • spankyplugsspankyplugs Posts: 14,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bapak wrote:
    Henry was a flop in Italy

He played about a dozen games, on the wing. His scoring rate wasn't bad for a winger, but his spell over there can't be blamed on him at all.
    Forum Member
    ash132 wrote:
    but clearly a striker who scores a hatful of goals but also contributes to the team as a whole is better than just an in the box striker. thats why i'd put Henry and Shevchenko above van Nistlerooy.
    You don't only judge a keeper by how many goals he concedes so you shouldn't just judge a striker by goals.

But who's to say if Larsson was in the man utd team with the service van Nistlerooy recieves he wouldn't score as many as Ruud has? If Andy Cole can then why not Larsson.

Shevchenko and Henry are undoubtedly bothe better players than Van Nistelrooy but IMO a striker's job is to put the ball in the back of the net. Pele is the best best striker ever, yet Maradona is the best player ever.

You couldn't say what Larsson would of done if he had played for United but I seriously doubt he would have surpassed the records held by Van Nistelrooy. You can compare their European and intenational records and Van Nistelrooy clearly has a far better record.
    As for Andy Cole, not only is he a quality striker, as he has shown that at Newcastle, Blackburn, Fulham and Man City by scoring consistently but he was getting service from the best midfield of the 90s yet Van Nistelrooy doesn't have that luxury.
    I agree Ronaldo should be up there and I would have probably said him but his consistency of late has been a bit poor by his standards.
    Forum Member
    Simon1984 wrote:
    Shevchenko and Henry are undoubtedly bothe better players than Van Nistelrooy but IMO a striker's job is to put the ball in the back of the net. Pele is the best best striker ever, yet Maradona is the best player ever.

You couldn't say what Larsson would of done if he had played for United but I seriously doubt he would have surpassed the records held by Van Nistelrooy. You can compare their European and intenational records and Van Nistelrooy clearly has a far better record.
    As for Andy Cole, not only is he a quality striker, as he has shown that at Newcastle, Blackburn, Fulham and Man City by scoring consistently but he was getting service from the best midfield of the 90s yet Van Nistelrooy doesn't have that luxury.
    I agree Ronaldo should be up there and I would have probably said him but his consistency of late has been a bit poor by his standards.
    But Henry and Shevchenko do put the ball in the net as well as the brilliant other stuff they do. If them two were more selfish do you think the team would be as good, and if the team isn't playing as well then they don't score the goals.

Also disagree with what you say about Pele and Maradona but thats a different topic altogether.

RvN is getting great service, he completly relys on great service. If he didn't have Beckham, Giggs and Scholes and now Rooney and Ronaldo he'd be useless. If you're asking who the best player is at tap-ins then yaeh i'd agree with van Nistlerooy, but if your asking me who the best striker is then i wouldn't put him anywhere near the top.
    You also have to consider who strikers are playing against. Crespo and Ronaldo have both played in Italy, Shevchenko has payed the bulk of his career in Italy and Inzaghi his whole career. Yet they've al managed to score goals in a league renowned for being tight and ultra defensive. In comparison RvN has played in a strong PSV team in a weak league and a very strong united team with great service for him.
    Ronaldo is above him recent form included or not. RvN has hardly being set the world alight himself, being outpicked and outperformed by Louis Saha.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ash132 wrote:

But just because they seemingly contribute more to the team doesn't make them the better strikers, and remember we are talking about strikers, not all round team players.

I'd prefer a selfish reliable guaranteed goalpoacher to a forward who contributes to the team, surely its the attacking midfielders who should offer the creativity and service?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ash132 wrote:
    But Henry and Shevchenko do put the ball in the net as well as the brilliant other stuff they do. If them two were more selfish do you think the team would be as good, and if the team isn't playing as well then they don't score the goals.

Also disagree with what you say about Pele and Maradona but thats a different topic altogether.

RvN is getting great service, he completly relys on great service. If he didn't have Beckham, Giggs and Scholes and now Rooney and Ronaldo he'd be useless. If you're asking who the best player is at tap-ins then yaeh i'd agree with van Nistlerooy, but if your asking me who the best striker is then i wouldn't put him anywhere near the top.
    You also have to consider who strikers are playing against. Crespo and Ronaldo have both played in Italy, Shevchenko has payed the bulk of his career in Italy and Inzaghi his whole career. Yet they've al managed to score goals in a league renowned for being tight and ultra defensive. In comparison RvN has played in a strong PSV team in a weak league and a very strong united team with great service for him.
    Ronaldo is above him recent form included or not. RvN has hardly being set the world alight himself, being outpicked and outperformed by Louis Saha.

That is ridiculous. He is the second leading scorer in the Premiership this season and if hes getting good service well so what, he still knows where the goal is and its up to him to find the back of the net.

How can you say he'd be useless.
  • Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Henry was rubbish at the last world cup. He has a lot to prove in this one.
    Forum Member
    That is ridiculous. He is the second leading scorer in the Premiership this season and if hes getting good service well so what, he still knows where the goal is and its up to him to find the back of the net.

How can you say he'd be useless.
    I don't think its unresonable to say without decent service van Nistlerooy would be useless. He's a striker who's completely reliant on service, he hardly ever makes a goal himself. I'm amazed people really think you only judge a striker on the number of goals he scores.

the thread is about who's the best striker in the world, not who's the best poacher in and around the 6 yard box
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joed wrote:
    For me it has to be the king of kings Henrik Larsson and then Samuel Eto'o
    Yup, I think so too. Henry is good, yes, but I do think Larsson is better. Eto'o is fantastic too, and I can't wait for both of them to each score a hat trick tonight... ;)