The BRITS 2010

I see this is the 30th anniversary of said knees up. It’s funny to think that something I used to anticipate so keenly, I tend to now squirm away from. I’m not necessarily talking about the standards of artists and their work – I happen to like a fair bit of what is about at the moment, it’s just that the last few I watched it was just car crash telly at it’s worst (or best if you like that sort of thing)
So then, as Peter Kay is hosting this year’s extravaganza, I don’t know what to expect, will he turn it into the Peter Kay show or play it fairly straight?

We shall see

Comments

• GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However he does it, he won't top the Sam Fox/Mick Fleetwood one for pure comedy.
  • weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just annoys me that they market it as a celebration of "British music" when it's clearly a celebration of "British pop music".

It's just a bunch of flaccid pop farts for people with think Cheryl Cole is a musical talent.
  • Finchy44Finchy44 Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gutted this is on at the same time as Beckhams first match against United, oh well, lucky I have sky+
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with the Brit Awards is that it is just so predictable. Whoever has been the most hyped throughout the year - here's your award, take it with our complements! Personally, I think there are too many awards shows and ceremonies around anyway. The more there are the more the heavyweight awards, the ones you really have to work for, get negated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finchy44 wrote: »
    I'm gutted this is on at the same time as Beckhams first match against United, oh well, lucky I have sky+

Indeed, the football shall win in our house but will have a sneaky look from time to time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4444 wrote: »
    The problem with the Brit Awards is that it is just so predictable. Whoever has been the most hyped throughout the year - here's your award, take it with our complements! .

And never heard of again! The Darkness anyone??
  • mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, I forgot Peter Kay was hosting and I so want to see if Chezza dumps Ashers on telly like they're predicting in showbiz:o:D

I also want to watch the footy arrrgggg.

Do itv have the ability to watch it live online so I can mute it unless interesting and watch the footy?
  • thinkfunthinkfun Posts: 2,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so excited for the brits lol gaga and cheryl woo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,537
    Forum Member
    more cheesy publicity for the nation's fav Biffa ABH Tweedy...hope she packs the large onion for those oh so important tears...:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    Come on GaGa, JLS and Cheryl!!
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Girth wrote: »
    However he does it, he won't top the Sam Fox/Mick Fleetwood one for pure comedy.

They should have got them back for the anniversary - oh what a night of TV watching that was :D:D:D
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Darkness sold one album very successfully and deserved their awards. The follow-up wasn't bad but didn't get the same airplay, a shame really.
    I'm pretty upset to see Peter Kay presenting the Brits as I do not think he is as entertaining as he was and feel the humour will fall flat.
    Will be tuning in for Lady Gaga and jeering for most of the show otherwise, which is entertaining in itself :D
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girth wrote: »

To be fair I reckon you would have struggled without an auto-prompter though it remains one of the most unwittingly entertaing things I have ever seen. Most awards shows are so overproduced now and suffer due to that :(
  • Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
    Forum Member
    the international viewers won't understand Peter :(:cry:
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    silentNate wrote: »
    To be fair I reckon you would have struggled without an auto-prompter though it remains one of the most unwittingly entertaing things I have ever seen. Most awards shows are so overproduced now and suffer due to that :(

To be honest though, with a starting point of 'he's really tall, she's really short - who cares if neither has ever done any presenting work' as the basis of getting them to do it in the first place it was always going to go wrong in a spectacular fashion :D
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Darkness where one of the few acts this decade that deserved their awards, imo.
    It's a pity it all went wrong, we know the story, shame really.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Brits has been crap for years. Its conceited rubbish imo. Its not as cool or relevant as it thinks it is.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We need Jarvis Cocker to run on stage & tango slap dizzy whats his face for being so rubbish or pull down Gaga's trousers to confirm any rumours. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finchy44 wrote: »

Yay for the football.

The BRITS have been rubbish for years.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    And if it's and industry pat on the back then why no SuBo? After all 'Cry me a river' Buble has been nominated and Katherine Jenkins has been there in the past. OK the album was released late for the nominations but it was always going to be big what other British artist will have sold 10 millions plus albums in a year?

Just goes to show that being 'cool' and appearances are just as an important factor as ever despite the SuBo lesson.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hera wrote: »
    Yay for the football.

The BRITS have been rubbish for years.

I agree. They have been shit since the late 90's.
  • Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    I wonder how many times they will mention the Brits School? :yawn:

I'm sure Lady Gaga and Robbie will give interesting performances but for different reasons. ;)
  • thinkfunthinkfun Posts: 2,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what is the brits school...its always mentioned
  • RandyRandy Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Musicians and actors have fame, fortune and audiences screaming when they appear. Do we really need to slap their backs yet again with another awards show. :mad:
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    thinkfun wrote: »
    what is the brits school...its always mentioned
    It's one of those city technology colleges but this one was created with music industry backing to produce the next generation of pop stars. The kids always have a front row seat and cheer and whoop.
    http://www.brit.croydon.sch.uk/school/index.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRIT_School