Options

Amazon selling homeopathic (therefore useless) cancer "treatments"

be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.freezepage.com/1362260889QHNTLNAWVJ
http://josephinejones.wordpress.com/2013/03/10/cancer-quackery-on-sale-at-amazon-co-uk/
http://josephinejones.wordpress.com/2013/05/17/cancer-quackery-still-available-from-amazon/

I hope Amazon and the companies behind these snakeoil products get prosecuted for this. This sort of dangerous quackery exploits people when they're at their most desperate and vulnerable.

Comments

• Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are certainly plenty of reviewers who agree with you. Also aren't these sorts of products illegal in the UK?
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they still on there? I tried to get to the actual pages as was interested to read the "reviews" but couldn't?

But no, you are right and it's disgusting. I am all for people trying alternative treatments as well as their medical treatment, but the way most of it is complete crap and are often aimed at the most desperate people is wrong.

*Awaits comments about how pharmaceutical companies are concealing the cure for cancer*.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I took Pulsitilla once for my blocked sinus, worked a treat.
  • Options
    ThatGuy11200ThatGuy11200 Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disgusting. Look at the ingredients in the first link, the 'active' ingredient is diluted to one part in a trillion, and then it says to dilute it again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disgusting. Look at the ingredients in the first link, the 'active' ingredient is diluted to one part in a trillion, and then it says to dilute it again.
    The sheer nerve of whoever wrote the "Product Features" is staggering:
    • Drug free
    • Herbs free
    • Non-toxic
    • Side-effect free
    BECAUSE IT CONTAINS BUGGER ALL!:mad:
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKIP plan to support homeopathy through the NHS.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't homeopathy available on the NHS?
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am utterly disgusted as I have a relative with Cancer and she has been putting off and putting off chemo from the NHS because she has started to believe in these "alternative cancer cures"

She's convinced herself that they are better options because they claim little to no side effects. I've tried dissuading her but it's hard to get through.

(She goes on and on about how the NHS are trying to make money and about statistics and about how chemo is poisoning her with something else to cure the cancer. And on and on about only the negatives of Chemo all the while praising these quack medicines as a supposed viable option. Her thought process is killing me inside more then the thought of her with cancer as I know they are nothing but snakeoil But I just can't get through)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been trying to think of a way of making my fortune.

Maybe charging £19.99 for 50ml of what is essentially water could be it. This time next year I'm going to be a millionaire...
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    UKIP plan to support homeopathy through the NHS.

One of the reasons why they're nuts.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Isn't homeopathy available on the NHS?

In some cases it can be used alongside traditional treatments on the NHS I believe. I think it's down to each trust as to what their stance is on it.
  • Options
    General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely all of these remedies aren't equal? I mean, some might actually do something?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    In some cases it can be used alongside traditional treatments on the NHS I believe. I think it's down to each trust as to what their stance is on it.

Interesting, thank you.

Found this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9982234/Homeopathy-on-the-NHS-is-mad-says-outgoing-scientific-adviser.html

I knew Prince Charles was an advocate, but I'm a bit surprised to read that so is health secretary, Jeremy Hunt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely all of these remedies aren't equal? I mean, some might actually do something?

I'm pretty sure it's all just water. It works as well as any other placebo.
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

Nope.
  • Options
    mcg3mcg3 Posts: 11,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    I am utterly disgusted as I have a relative with Cancer and she has been putting off and putting off chemo from the NHS because she has started to believe in these "alternative cancer cures"

She's convinced herself that they are better options because they claim little to no side effects. I've tried dissuading her but it's hard to get through.

(She goes on and on about how the NHS are trying to make money and about statistics and about how chemo is poisoning her with something else to cure the cancer. And on and on about only the negatives of Chemo all the while praising these quack medicines as a supposed viable option. Her thought process is killing me inside more then the thought of her with cancer as I know they are nothing but snakeoil But I just can't get through)

I genuinely feel for you.

I worry for the people that are taken in with the false promises, the big danger here is the placebo effect.
    Some people with lesser ailments will take these products and get better, not realizing its just the bodies natural defence system thats kicked in.

They then swear by their chosen water pill.

Homeopathy is no better than drinking tap water.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough. I thought medical science might have left one or two small stones unturned.
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Fair enough. I thought medical science might have left one or two small stones unturned.

I think we has sussed out what water can do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just because science cannot know everything, that's not an excuse to give the benefit of the doubt to any old snakeoil.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are countless things that medical science hasn't discovered. In 50 years time we'll look at medicine today and compare it to the Dark Ages.

What won't happen, however, is that a few drops of water in a glass of water will be found to be the cure for anything (apart from dehydration) although it may have a placebo effect for those gullible enough to believe in it.

If in doubt, check out this website: http://www.howdoeshomeopathywork.com/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that it's most likely cobblers.
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    Also aren't these sorts of products illegal in the UK?
    The Cancer Act makes it illegal to advertise a treatment or cure for cancer, or to give advice on the treatment of cancer, except under certain specific conditions pertaining to qualified medical practitioners.

So if a) they are giving advice/suggesting treatment/offering a cure and b) they don't meet the specific conditions that allow them to do so, then there may be a breach of the law.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    The Cancer Act makes it illegal to advertise a treatment or cure for cancer, or to give advice on the treatment of cancer, except under certain specific conditions pertaining to qualified medical practitioners.

So if a) they are giving advice/suggesting treatment/offering a cure and b) they don't meet the specific conditions that allow them to do so, then there may be a breach of the law.
    Indeed. The Amazon listing for "Homeovitality Cancer Care" certainly appears to be in breach of the Cancer Act.

The mere fact that Amazon provides listings for a company such as Homeovitality would be seen as validation by many people. Let's hope the company is suitably penalised for endorsing and facilitating such despicable business practices.

Shockingly, even though the "Cancer Care" listing has been pulled, Amazon is still doing business with Homeovitality.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will remove them if you contact them, Amazon can't review every listing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    They will remove them if you contact them, Amazon can't review every listing.
    They are still listing 23 products from this company. Don't you think Homeovitality should have been kicked-off Amazon altogether for selling the bogus "Cancer Care" product?