Options

Washing Machine Woes! Advice Needed Please.

scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok, so I got rid of my old washing machine last week. It kept stopping mid cycle, on any cycle. Even if I knocked it on to the next, it would stop. To be fair, it was 10 & a half years old, so it went to scrap.

I got my new one delivered yesterday & tested it. Managed to get the travel bolt things out, hooked it up & nothing. It been hooked up to the cold water inlet. When the hose isn't connected, water freely runs through. Then when the hose is connected, it seems the water trickles through. The cycle we put it on, initially clicks to starts, makes a noise but then just stops.

Is it just coincidence that both machines won't work properly? My brother seems to think it could be the hose but he's checked it for kinks & there's none. I ordered my new one from the Co-OP via eBay, just don't want the hassle of having to send it back!

Comments

• Options
    wombat66wombat66 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like water pressure problem. Does the water come from a tank or the mains? Check that all the taps and stop-cock are all fully open and have not been partially closed for some reason in the past.There has to be a certain amount of pressure to operate the electric water valves on the machine and there may be some obstruction in the supply.
  • Options
    wombat66wombat66 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thought-did you use the old water inlet hose or the new one which would have come with the machine? I have known these hoses to collapse inside and restrict the water flow which would explain why the old machine had the same problem.Also the turn-off valves can be suspect, the ones with the plastic levers can look like they are fully turned off or on but in fact the lever is not turning the shaft of the valve. Worth a look.
  • Options
    scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankyou Wombat for the info. I'm going to pass the info on to my brother tomorrow & get him to have a look. As far as I'm aware I've not done anything with the stop cock recently but maybe it's been knocked whilst someone's been under the sink and I think the water comes from the mains for the washer but again, I'll check with my brother.

Thanks again :)