Options

NUFC Thread

Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Talk about all things NUFC related here. About time we had one given that even Charlton have one!

Much better start to the season than we've had for a good number of years now. Winning 3, drawing 2 and losing 1 (albeit against the whipping boys) is a good return that most of us would have taken at the beginning of the season.

Disappointing to go out of the Carling Cup, as that was probabaly our best chance of silverwear. This is just a transitional season that will hopefully buld the for the future and see us challenging the top 4 again.

Rozenhal and Cacapa look to be our best centre half partnership for a long time, they look strong and are adapting well. Viduka is one of the most skillful players I've seen, Smith gives 1000% wherever he plays, Geremi is a great passer, Beye looks good on the right as does Enrique on the left.

I don't see why we can't break into the top 6 this season ebcause everyone from 5 - 15 is on a very similar level. We've beaten one of our so-called challengers on Saturday 3-1, with another to come on Saturday. Man City will be a very tough team to beat, but given that they shipped in 3 against Fulham will give us a little bit of confidence.

Haway the lads!

Comments

• Options
    hallchallc Posts: 200,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We never seem to get a result against any of the big four teams, you just knew last night that they (Arsenal ) would score sometime.

We need to go on a long unbeaten run and stop slipping up against teams like Derby.

Is Given back for good????
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the papers and reading the interview with Chris Mort, its surprising how close Newcastle came to becoming the new Leeds
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last season we did well against the big 4. At home we beat Liverpool and drew with Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd. Not that that's an achievement really, we shouldn't accept that as "our level."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Looking at the papers and reading the interview with Chris Mort, its surprising how close Newcastle came to becoming the new Leeds

Yeah it seems the debt was a whole lot more than was first anticpated. Just shows how badly our club was ran by the halfwit Shepherds. They clearly had no business accumen. Ashley has had to invest a further £45million to try and get the debt collectors off our doorstep. Still, at least we're in a more stable financial position now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think the problem now is how to get the best out of Alan Smith and Ameobi. Both are underperforming, Smith because the right position can't be found for him and Ameobi because he's not concentrating. I get so exasperated by the number of times play breaks down because Ameobi is offside.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this team plays:

Given,
    Beye, Rozenhal, Cacapa, Enrique
    Milner, Geremi, Barton, N'Zogbia
    Viduka, Owen.

I think that's got real potential.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it seems the debt was a whole lot more than was first anticpated. Just shows how badly our club was ran by the halfwit Shepherds. They clearly had no business accumen. Ashley has had to invest a further £45million to try and get the debt collectors off our doorstep. Still, at least we're in a more stable financial position now.

Some credit to Shepherd, he took the £30 million from Northern Rock upfront :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Some credit to Shepherd, he took the £30 million from Northern Rock upfront :D

Haha...and spent it all at once as well the silly berk! Got one more payment to come in 2010 apparently.

Now there's a sentence ou'll probabaly never ready again:

"Some credit to Shepherd...."

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prontopro wrote: »
    I personally think the problem now is how to get the best out of Alan Smith and Ameobi. Both are underperforming, Smith because the right position can't be found for him and Ameobi because he's not concentrating. I get so exasperated by the number of times play breaks down because Ameobi is offside.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this team plays:

Given,
    Beye, Rozenhal, Cacapa, Enrique
    Milner, Geremi, Barton, N'Zogbia
    Viduka, Owen.

I think that's got real potential.

The answer...don't play Shola. He's hopeless. I think I've had enough of watching his (lack of) contribution over the years.
  • Options
    R VR V Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Talk about all things NUFC related here. About time we had one given that even Charlton have one!

Much better start to the season than we've had for a good number of years now. Winning 3, drawing 2 and losing 1 (albeit against the whipping boys) is a good return that most of us would have taken at the beginning of the season.

Disappointing to go out of the Carling Cup, as that was probabaly our best chance of silverwear. This is just a transitional season that will hopefully buld the for the future and see us challenging the top 4 again.

Rozenhal and Cacapa look to be our best centre half partnership for a long time, they look strong and are adapting well. Viduka is one of the most skillful players I've seen, Smith gives 1000% wherever he plays, Geremi is a great passer, Beye looks good on the right as does Enrique on the left.

I don't see why we can't break into the top 6 this season ebcause everyone from 5 - 15 is on a very similar level. We've beaten one of our so-called challengers on Saturday 3-1, with another to come on Saturday. Man City will be a very tough team to beat, but given that they shipped in 3 against Fulham will give us a little bit of confidence.

Haway the lads!

Ho Ho Ho!!! Another season passes....how many years is it now?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    god I know....if only Newcastle were as good as Sunderland:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, just think...instead of the last 15 years been full of great wins like 5-0 Man Utd. 3-2 Barca, 1-0 Juve, 3-2 Feyenoord, 7-1 Spurs, 8-0 Sheff Wed. Then you have UEFA Cup semi and quarter finals, Champions League nights, FA Cup Finals and the odd semi and quarter here and there. And then there was a result 4-1 when we were awful against a small team down the road.

Instead of that, I could have been the biggest jokes in the Premiership (twice), spent most of my time playing the likes of Plymouth (and getting beat), embarrassed on national TV during 'Premier Passions'.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, just think...instead of the last 15 years been full of great wins like 5-0 Man Utd. 3-2 Barca, 1-0 Juve, 3-2 Feyenoord, 7-1 Spurs, 8-0 Sheff Wed. Then you have UEFA Cup semi and quarter finals, Champions League nights, FA Cup Finals and the odd semi and quarter here and there. And then there was a result 4-1 when we were awful against a small team down the road.

Instead of that, I could have been the biggest jokes in the Premiership (twice), spent most of my time playing the likes of Plymouth (and getting beat), embarrassed on national TV during 'Premier Passions'.....

they aren't a worthy adversary....and R.V knows it
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

or only managing to score 2 against the worst Newcastle united side ever, letting the same crap side score one and harping on about it for 10 years.

The night a very shit Sunderland did us a favour, we got rid of Ruud Gullit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    or only managing to score 2 against the worst Newcastle united side ever, letting the same crap side score one and harping on about it for 10 years.

The night a very shit Sunderland did us a favour, we got rid of Ruud Gullit.

Yep, and now we are in a position to maybe get back to something approaching "decent@. I hope!
  • Options
    R VR V Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Fishing trips are too easy on here - how many bites was that I got :p:p ........FTM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R V wrote: »
    Fishing trips are too easy on here - how many bites was that I got :p:p ........FTM

god...how entertaining it must be for you :yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R V wrote: »

FTM?

Free Ticket Mackems? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big game against Man Citeh tomorrow. One of bbiggest tests yet as they have had a very good start. If we have any aspirations to do well this season though, we have to be beating the likes of these. We know we aren't going to finish top 4 this year, but we could finish top of the "rest of the league." There's nothing between 5 - 15 really, the team grabbing 5/6th spot could be anyone of Man City, Villa, Spurs, Newcastle, Everton. It might be a bit beyond us just yet, but I believe we've got the formula to get back to where we were about 4 years ago.

Tomorrow, I'd be happy with a point. Ecstatic with a win.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Talk about all things NUFC related here.

Whats there to talk about ? No trophies and racist supporters.

Oh sorry Ant and Dec and Tony Blair as well.

Howay the lads............
  • Options
    Faxy FowlerFaxy Fowler Posts: 17,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think you might qualify for Europe this season?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Following on from GMTV being fined £2million for encouraging people to enter a competition they have no chance in winning, Newcastle United are considering suing UEFA.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member

They're chances of getting into europe took a big blow when Titus Bramble left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe not this season, with 2 years I think we will though. On papaer we have a far better team than some of the players up there. Once we get a first XI out there who are fit and accoustomed to each other I don't see why not.

Not getting carried away because there is/was a lot of work that needed doing after the mess we were in.
  • Options
    Faxy FowlerFaxy Fowler Posts: 17,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously, Saturday's reverse at City was a bit of a blow for the Geordies.

Still, they can no doubt put that behind them with the Carling Cup exit enabling their full focus on climbing the table.
  • Options
    srhugosrhugo Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon we have a chance of Europe this season - but need some decent, consistent performances.

Our lack of midfield creativity is our current problem - Smith gives his all but has been poor, and Butt and Geremi in the middle are hardly setting the world alight going forward.

This is why I can't wait for the return of Barton, even perhaps Duff and Emre to full fitness.

As for defensively, Cacapa looks a class act, same goes for Rozenhal, and Beye seems decent too. Enriqué is a great prospect. Shame that Taylor has been so poor this season.

Obviously up front we're sorted too, with Owen (please finally have a consistent run in the team), Martins and the superb Viduka - and Milner and Zoggy down the wings are nothing short of superb.