What Next for Hollywood?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 993
Forum Member
✭✭
Good Morning to you.

I have a question I'd like to see debated.

Where does Hollywood go from here?

I think the straw that broke the cammels back and made me finaly ask this question, is reading that Adventures in Babysitting is being remade.

Literally, Hollywood is going to run out of films "worth" remaking, then what? Remakes of the remakes? I don't think that will wash considering the tiny amount of time between original and remake these days.

I'm a believer that Broadcast TV as we know it today, is obsolete, the Internet will rule all in time. TV will be assimilated, resitence is futile, etc.

But what about film? I have this theory, maybe a bit SciFi, but see what you think.

The kids growing up today probably spend more time playing games than watching films. I believe that until Avatar came out (a computer game if ever I saw one) that the biggest "Entertainment Release" of all time, was a game based on soldiers in combat that could be played on online.

Will future generations "take part" in films in the future? Will games be so advanced that they replace films? Why watch someone else attack the DeatStar if you can do it yourself? Will people watch films that show paradise islands, or will they enter some simulation and "live it" for a few hours?

Are we witnessing the last decade(s) of Hollywood as we know it? When the remakes and sequels fail to make the money, (and considering technology) then what?

Comments

• M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    Superior wrote: »
    Good Morning to you.

I have a question I'd like to see debated.

Where does Hollywood go from here?

I think the straw that broke the cammels back and made me finaly ask this question, is reading that Adventures in Babysitting is being remade.

Literally, Hollywood is going to run out of films "worth" remaking, then what? Remakes of the remakes? I don't think that will wash considering the tiny amount of time between original and remake these days.

I'm a believer that Broadcast TV as we know it today, is obsolete, the Internet will rule all in time. TV will be assimilated, resitence is futile, etc.

But what about film? I have this theory, maybe a bit SciFi, but see what you think.

The kids growing up today probably spend more time playing games than watching films. I believe that until Avatar came out (a computer game if ever I saw one) that the biggest "Entertainment Release" of all time, was a game based on soldiers in combat that could be played on online.

Will future generations "take part" in films in the future? Will games be so advanced that they replace films? Why watch someone else attack the DeatStar if you can do it yourself? Will people watch films that show paradise islands, or will they enter some simulation and "live it" for a few hours?

Are we witnessing the last decade(s) of Hollywood as we know it? When the remakes and sequels fail to make the money, (and considering technology) then what?

Hitchcock already answered this - The future of films is when we have electrodes into our heads and we experience it as if we were there, The gaming side is just not quite there yet but it is a step nearer than just watching a film
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    The future seems to be lots of reboots of franchises and remakes at the moment.

As for distribution side - well it is ironic that multiplexes which were supposed to offer more choice are actually limiting it. Essentially they just show the blockbuster films on as many screens as possible.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Well when was this golden age of choice? A long time ago films used to sit in theaters for a long long time, you didn't have more choice, you had less.

Cries over the state of cinema are pretty old now, its almost like the age old cries of the elderly over the degenerate nature of younger generations. 99% of art is crap, always has been, and won't change in the future. People just always manage to forget the junk when they wax nostalgic about the glorious past. I see no problems in the future of film, there is no trend, each film stands alone, as its said in hollywood, you are only good as your last film. That you made a good movie before your clunker doesn't make your clunker any better. So trends really have no place in hollywood as box office will smack down anything that is totally pointless in the long run. Each film opening is a new contest, separate from the ones before. So you can't say whats next, its always been unanswerable. Each new film is always a fresh throw of the dice.

Games are not film, film are not games. To give the appearance of choice many routes and choice forks must be baked into a game. A good story is almost secondary in nature to games. This kind of makes the entire task of creating a good story arc rather difficult, so much of the its constrained to an illusion of choice. People want choice in games, not film, and its why there are no prize winning choose your own adventure books;) So no, the future of film is not interactive.