Planet Rock

Comments

• hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A picture of the new studio at Bauer is now on the radiotoday eradio newsletter.
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    A picture of the new studio at Bauer is now on the radiotoday eradio newsletter.

Link or picture, please.

Have they started broadcasting from there?
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Link or picture, please.

Have they started broadcasting from there?

https://twitter.com/ChrisCockram/status/316550226179657728/photo/1
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »

Thanks. Isn't a modern studio amazing. Nothing to play media, nothing for jingles, it's just all on computer.
  • gothblokegothbloke Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Thanks. Isn't a modern studio amazing. Nothing to play media, nothing for jingles, it's just all on computer.

There will be at least one CD player in case the computer system goes down and they need something for an emergency.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gothbloke wrote: »
    There will be at least one CD player in case the computer system goes down and they need something for an emergency.
    I remember Rick Wakeman used to bring his own obscure music CDs in to play on air, guess the computer based library will not have everything?

Sadly from the Teamrock thread, Bauer seem to have decided Planetrock will go finally go mono on DAB, at least it will still be on DAB and still be stereo online and satellite digital TV!
  • MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing they'll wait until the possibility of buying realxs or rebranding kerrang before going 100% live. right?
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    I remember Rick Wakeman used to bring his own obscure music CDs in to play on air, guess the computer based library will not have everything?

Sadly from the Teamrock thread, Bauer seem to have decided Planetrock will go finally go mono on DAB, at least it will still be on DAB and still be stereo online and satellite digital TV!

So it's now going to sound worse in my kitchen through my Roberts Gemini stereo DAB. Oh great.
  • Alan ThewAlan Thew Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    So it's now going to sound worse in my kitchen through my Roberts Gemini stereo DAB. Oh great.

As long as 95 per cent of listeners either can't tell or don't care when a service switches to mono or is compressed to the lowest bit rate possible, the RAJARs won't be affected, so why would broadcasters pay extra for the carriage at a higher bit rate? Everything on Digital 1 is heading for 64k mono.

Maybe that's no bad thing. Maybe everything on DAB should be at 64k, then we can all be honest about it and admit that DAB is really just a "kitchen radio" format and not a replacement for hi-fi FM stereo, which there's no way it can ever be. Not now.

Anyone wanting decent quality music at home can get it over IP (or, if you're so inclined, from satellite). The main losers would be in-car listeners without unlimited 3G and a propensity to strew their passenger seats with cables (i.e., all normal motorists). But, then, are they really losing? Planet Rock and Absolute 80s have never been available on FM anyway, have they?
  • Beacon HillBeacon Hill Posts: 288
    Forum Member

Compared to some of the other Bauer or Global studios, it looks like little more than a broom cupboard!
    Also, has anyone else noticed the very poor voice tracking & automation particularly during the weekend breakfast shows recently? Maybe those computers need a tweek....
  • Ethan RayneEthan Rayne Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Thew wrote: »

Maybe that's no bad thing. Maybe everything on DAB should be at 64k, then we can all be honest about it and admit that DAB is really just a "kitchen radio" format and not a replacement for hi-fi FM stereo, which there's no way it can ever be. Not now.

When out in the car I sometimes switch to Kerrang off the Manchester multiplex, it used to be awful in 64k but the recent change to 80k has made it listenable, was out in Liverpool the other weekend and was channel hopping and stumbled across Absolute classic rock and immediately knew it was 64k, the poor quality of the sound stood out a country mile, 80k should be a absolute minimum for music, 64k is OK for talk stations only.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When out in the car I sometimes switch to Kerrang off the Manchester multiplex, it used to be awful in 64k but the recent change to 80k has made it listenable, was out in Liverpool the other weekend and was channel hopping and stumbled across Absolute classic rock and immediately knew it was 64k, the poor quality of the sound stood out a country mile, 80k should be a absolute minimum for music, 64k is OK for talk stations only.

Agree with you entirely, but the fact that you and I are discussing bitrates on a web forum marks us out as hardly representative. Almost everybody else literally does not care, and that's why stations broadcast at 64k. Who is going to enforce this 80k mimimum? Ofcom won't do it. There's no law that stipulates it. Radio stations will pay the lowest rate they can get away with for carriage, and for every person who switches off when a DAB station goes from 80k to 64, there are probably a hundred who don't notice.

DAB can offer quality or choice, but not both. Since it was proved over a decade ago that it can't be sold on quality, why not sell it just on choice instead? If everyone is listening on a kitchen radio with a three-inch mono speaker, why not stick even more stations on there and put them all in 64k mono? It's a joke to think anyone remotely interested in technical quality is still relying on DAB for their primary reception.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DAB can offer quality or choice, but not both. Since it was proved over a decade ago that it can't be sold on quality, why not sell it just on choice instead? If everyone is listening on a kitchen radio with a three-inch mono speaker, why not stick even more stations on there and put them all in 64k mono? It's a joke to think anyone remotely interested in technical quality is still relying on DAB for their primary reception.
    Although the BBC and Global are keeping to good quality classical music with R3 at 192k, Classic FM at 160k and other music stations at 128k.

Will be a sad day in May when Abs 80s and Planetrock go mono, but will be interesting too see what Teamrock can do?
  • Arewenotmen?Arewenotmen? Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    As long as 95 per cent of listeners either can't tell or don't care when a service switches to mono or is compressed to the lowest bit rate possible, the RAJARs won't be affected, so why would broadcasters pay extra for the carriage at a higher bit rate? Everything on Digital 1 is heading for 64k mono.

Anyone wanting decent quality music at home can get it over IP (or, if you're so inclined, from satellite). The main losers would be in-car listeners without unlimited 3G and a propensity to strew their passenger seats with cables (i.e., all normal motorists). But, then, are they really losing? Planet Rock and Absolute 80s have never been available on FM anyway, have they?

Couldn't agree more, Alan, "kitchen radio format" sums up DAB perfectly.
  • Mr PringleMr Pringle Posts: 6,469
    Forum Member
    Couldn't agree more, Alan, "kitchen radio format" sums up DAB perfectly.
    I think that's actually quite a complement - works well in your kitchen where FM was probably a bit iffy before... that'll suit most people.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Mr Pringle wrote: »
    I think that's actually quite a complement - works well in your kitchen where FM was probably a bit iffy before... that'll suit most people.

Indeed, it works far better in my kitchen than FM, which PR has never been on and probably never will.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I am a Planet Rock fan from continental Europe, and I enjoyed its programm on my Denon S52 until someone turn some switch and it seems that only users with a UK ip can connect to the sattion. Can someone confirm or explain it and what are my options (sat...)? (btw, VPN with UK ip works).

thanks in advance

egidio
  • gothblokegothbloke Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I see ex Radio One presenter Richard Skinner is sitting in for Wyatt while he's away.

Perhaps he'll get the 6-9pm gig when Nicky Horne leaves.
  • FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Al Murray joining the station Sunday mornings 10-12. Not sure of the start date. Bauer fighting back against the TeamRock launch?
  • simon243simon243 Posts: 3,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM_Bandit wrote: »
    Al Murray joining the station Sunday mornings 10-12. Not sure of the start date. Bauer fighting back against the TeamRock launch?

More like trying to attract new listeners who may not have known the station even exists.

He's a well-known celebrity who's a perfect fit with the target audience. That might annoy some rock purists and anoraks but they're of little value to advertisers. Broadening the station's appeal is a sensible move commercially.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon243 wrote: »
    More like trying to attract new listeners who may not have known the station even exists.

He's a well-known celebrity who's a perfect fit with the target audience. That might annoy some rock purists and anoraks but they're of little value to advertisers. Broadening the station's appeal is a sensible move commercially.

I didn't realise he was a rock drummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vktEOe2yObM

He was good sitting in for Simon Mayo on the 5 Live film programme so he should be a good listen.
  • CharlieCharlie Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit, I thought here we go, ruddy celebrities and then I read his bio on the Planet Rock website, so I'll give him a chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a Planet Rock fan from continental Europe, and I enjoyed its programm on my Denon S52 until someone turn some switch and it seems that only users with a UK ip can connect to the sattion. Can someone confirm or explain it and what are my options (sat...)? (btw, VPN with UK ip works).

thanks in advance

egidio

Planet Rock seems to have gone mono on Astra 2 at 19.2 East, so I wouldn't recommend satellite at the moment. Not sure if it's permanent or a cock-up. Getting a proxy for a UK address looks like your best option as I think online is the only way to get it in stereo now, unless anyone knows better?
  • vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,355
    Forum Member
    Planet Rock is neither on Astra 2, nor at 19.2 E.
  • norderneynorderney Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those without a Sky or FreeSat box, Planet Rock is on Eutelsat 28A at 28.2 Degrees East on a frequency of 12523 Vertical.

This info from LyngSat
    http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-28A.html

Hope this info helps, although if it is a permanent switch to mono, the Internet feed may be a better option. Perhaps Bauer are cutting transmission costs on satellite too. I suspect they have fewer listeners on satellite.