Has The Jumbo Jet Had Its Day?

HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Jumbo introduced in 1970 has been the workhorse of world travel for 45 years.

However last year not a single airline placed an order for the world's two biggest commercial jets, the Boeing 747-8 and the double-decker Airbus A380.

What do you think? Would you miss them?

See The end of The Jumbo Jet?

Comments

• NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Even if no one ever orders another one, the existing ones will likely keep going for decades*.

The 747 is an old airframe design compared to the modern ones (although it's had a lot of upgrades to various subsystems).

I won't miss them, but some might.

*I would not be at all surprised if there are some 35+ year old ones still in service.
  • Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Jumbo introduced in 1970 has been the workhorse of world travel for 45 years.

However last year not a single airline placed an order for the world's two biggest commercial jets, the Boeing 747-8 and the double-decker Airbus A380.

What do you think? Would you miss them?

See The end of The Jumbo Jet?

I think as more people tend to have their holidays in the UK, then yes air travel and Jumbo jets are less popular.

A lot of blame is down to people just wanting to avoid the stress of air travel, having to check in 2 hrs before flight, then having to almost get undressed and empty your hand luggage when going through security, not being allowed to carry liquids then getting fined by your airline, because your hand luggage was 1mm too big!

No wonder people are avoiding the plane.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 747 is past it now, but the Super Jumbo Airbus A380 will keep going with larger versions, the A380-900 (to seat up to 900 passengers) and the A380-1000 (a 1000 passengers in one jet plane) coming into service by 2020. No planes were bought recently because of the world wide recession, but by 2020 the world's economies will have recovered enough for another expansion of passenger capacity.
  • WombatDeathWombatDeath Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll take one, it will make my commute to work more interesting. How much are they? I'm willing to go as high as £50, if they throw in a full tank.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read that article earlier.

The latest Boeing 747 - 81 is supposed to use 8% less fuel per passenger than the A380.

The fuel cost per passenger is less for the twin engined jets such as the Boeing 777 and the A330 so they'll still be more popular but the larger range planes with four engines were purchased by Quantas and Emirates, once you have a large fleet you stop buying them.

If the 747's flying across the Atlantic don't cost you too much in terms of maintenance they'll keep on flying, no point in replacing them.
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The world's "biggest" plane cemetry

Where aeroplanes go to die.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    The 747 is past it now, but the Super Jumbo Airbus A380 will keep going with larger versions, the A380-900 (to seat up to 900 passengers) and the A380-1000 (a 1000 passengers in one jet plane) coming into service by 2020. No planes were bought recently because of the world wide recession, but by 2020 the world's economies will have recovered enough for another expansion of passenger capacity.
    Where the **** did that come from? petertard needs a lie down after that exertion. It even almost made sense
    :kitty:
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    We are only just coming out of a worldwide recession (or not) and so people can't afford holidays like they did and therefore airlines have had to cut back and make do with what they have.

That doesn't mean that it's the end of all large plane flying. Why should it?
    The cheapest way of running airlines is to transport as many people as possible in one go and so they will continue to do that even if they cut back on amounts of times they do a route. That way when they do put a plane on that route their will be enough people to fill it and so they will always need big planes. Just not so many of them.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    The twin engines are far more fuel efficient these days and the 787's and A350's will be the favourites for long haul. However the A380 and 747 still have a place on the high density routes that havd a bum in every seat such as LHR - HKG. The A380 is effectively two aircrafts worth of passengers, so if an airline can fill them on a regular basis, they will still be very worthwhile and utilised.

I will be sad to see the gradual decline of the 747-400, beautiful aircraft.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cheapest way of running airlines is to transport as many people as possible in one go and so they will continue to do that even if they cut back on amounts of times they do a route.
    That's not correct.

The smaller planes cost less to run in terms of fuel but the larger planes have a greater range.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the real unspoken value of the super-jumbos the more economical use of prized airport take-off slots? There could be routes earning little money there to keep hold of these slots, waiting till they can afford a super-jumbo to some long haul destination.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    That's not correct.

The smaller planes cost less to run in terms of fuel but the larger planes have a greater range.

So who want to do a long journey on a plane that has to stop many times alone the way?

Economy of scale.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Is the real unspoken value of the super-jumbos the more economical use of prized airport take-off slots? There could be routes earning little money there to keep hold of these slots, waiting till they can afford a super-jumbo to some long haul destination.

Pretty much.

It's something I had a disagreement with some Americans about a while back, they couldn't understand why the A380 could potentially be a success at the same point time as the Boeing Dreamliner, they couldn't understand that in some parts of the world slots of aircraft are very high in demand, and there aren't loads of "regional hubs" with short distance flights.

From memory Heathrow (and much of southern/central UK airspace on the whole) is running at something like 90% of theoretical safe capacity for individual flights at the moment with a lot of the EU big airports in a similar way, so anything that potentially lets an airline move an extra 200+ people per flight is important to the ability to expand the business and is far easier/cheaper/faster to put into use than a new runway or new airport..
    They can then land at other major, but less busy hubs and if need be passengers transfer once to another flight to reach their regional airport.

It's like having double deckers and minibuses for much the same reason, the high capacity transport goes on major routes that require the seats, then the lower capacity transport goes on the less busy routes (or to collect/drop off passengers at the major points).

Andrew-W, isn't that very much dependent on the route and if you just take into account the fuel?
    I was under the impression that take off/landing slots cost, and an aircraft doing a lot of take off and landings requires the more rigorous safety checks and parts replacements more frequently due to things like the increase in pressurisation cycles, and number of times the airframe is exposed to the stresses of landing.
    So whilst they may be cheaper in terms of fuel economy, that may be at least partly offset by an increase in the maintenance and other running costs.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I think as more people tend to have their holidays in the UK, then yes air travel and Jumbo jets are less popular.

A lot of blame is down to people just wanting to avoid the stress of air travel, having to check in 2 hrs before flight, then having to almost get undressed and empty your hand luggage when going through security, not being allowed to carry liquids then getting fined by your airline, because your hand luggage was 1mm too big!

No wonder people are avoiding the plane.

Since in fact more people are going abroad for their holidays, your post couldn't be any more wrong.

The reason for the no orders is because of the recession. Nothing else.
  • dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    Aye and if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon :o

Always preferred the 747-300 myself :D

I like the classic -100 and -200 models myself, don't like the stretched upper deck.
    The 747SP was great as well
    http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/1/7/0/1132071.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »

Andrew-W, isn't that very much dependent on the route and if you just take into account the fuel?
    I was under the impression that take off/landing slots cost, and an aircraft doing a lot of take off and landings requires the more rigorous safety checks and parts replacements more frequently due to things like the increase in pressurisation cycles, and number of times the airframe is exposed to the stresses of landing.
    So whilst they may be cheaper in terms of fuel economy, that may be at least partly offset by an increase in the maintenance and other running costs.
    That's true.

The engines are more efficient now so the twin engined planes can fly further making the larger planes of this type more popular.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I like the classic -100 and -200 models myself, don't like the stretched upper deck.

See, I like the extended upper deck of the -400, it looks more balanced to me.

It's the aircraft that first got me into aviation.
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

PAN AM (picture in link)

That is a blast from the past. A once mighty airline that now just a memory.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't there a glut of perfectly good jumbo's now a few airlines have merged/gone bust so theres no demand for new ones when you can probably pick up a perfectly good one probably for 25% of the price and with the parts market as well where virtually nothing of a plane thats broken up for parts is wasted whats the point of buying a new jumbo
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im scared of flying with all these crashes and fires and suicide pilots. I dread going on a plane, needless to say i have to fly to mexico in 3 weeks time and im stuck in the air for 10 hours. 3 hours airport before take off and 2 hours at the other end. Im dreading it. But i still book holidays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc822 wrote: »
    Im scared of flying with all these crashes and fires and suicide pilots. I dread going on a plane, needless to say i have to fly to mexico in 3 weeks time and im stuck in the air for 10 hours. 3 hours airport before take off and 2 hours at the other end. Im dreading it. But i still book holidays.

Flying is far safer than travelling by car or train, it catches everyone's attention with a lot of people dieing together if a plane crashes.

You're more likely to win the lottery, that's if you do it.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Emirates have just received their 60th A380 and have another 90 on order so while they may not have ordered any in the last year, they still have almost 100 to be delivered.