Why are the same periods of history always taught in school?

JillstarJillstar Posts: 1,273
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was watching "A History of Britain: By Simon Sharma" earlier and I found the details of the conflicts between England and Scotland,Ireland and Wales really interesting and also the other parts of medieval British history that have been mentioned.
It has made me think, why are the same periods of British history always taught in schools? I remember being taught about the Tudors (from Henry VII to Elizabeth I - mainly Henry VIII and Elizabeth I) countless times and of course the First and Second World War, but why are things like the creation of parliament and the history of our laws never taught?
I can completely understand why we are taught about the 2 world wars as they are still relatively modern history, terrible atrocities and there is a lot of primary sources (e.g. film footage, interviews with veterans and survivors etc...) to back it up and create interest.
But with the Tudors, apart from the creation of the Church of England, the issues around heirs and with Elizabeth I being one of the most formidable queens in British history, what else is there of major importance when compared with other points in history?
Why don't we learn more about things like the Magna Carta, the Unification of Great Britain, the history of Parliament, the Civil War and the re-establishment of the monarchy?
Why aren't we given a broader view of history and taught about the changes in our laws and customs?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    I've become interested in history recently as there have been some very good programmes on tv. Like you, I only knew about the Tudors and the two world wars so I've been reading about the Wars of the Roses. These took place during the 15th century when the crown changed hands several times and ended with the death of Richard III at Bosworth in 1485. Henry Tudor took the throne and became Henry VII, the father of Henry VIII. It's a long and complicated story which would be difficult to cover in a school syllabus. The following period was much more settled and so would be more suited to a GCSE syllabus, plus it included (as you said) the break with the Roman Catholic Church.

If you're interested in reading about the Wars of the Roses, Philippa Gregory has written several excellent books which are based on the historical facts. I would think that many history teachers hope that their students will continue to study in their own time which is now much easier.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was never taught about the two wars. Wish I had.
    We were force fed endless boring facts about Robert Walpole.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps a small part of it is to do with identity & how we as a nation like to grab onto a very delicate image of what englishness or britishness means.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jillstar wrote: »
    Why aren't we given a broader view of history and taught about the changes in our laws and customs?

Probably because it would be spread too thinly to make it a useful academic subject? Students need to learn how to study and answer exam questions in some depth on a limited number of topics, the aim isn't really to give them good general knowledge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the OP.

History at school was all about:
    Romans (central heating)
    Saxons (mainly how they farmed and left fields lying fallow)
    Victorians (Workshop of the World and Empire Was Bad, mmm'kay, We Enslaved Black People!),
    Tudors (wives, beheadings, Protestants)
    Nazis and the Blitz and Evacuee Children

And very little sense of how the UK as it is today came about. History is so much more interesting than this. It's sad.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    My nephew's history class covered the Falklands conflict recently - which makes me feel old because I was only a couple of years younger than him when it happened.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnny-br wrote: »
    I agree with the OP.

Romans (central heating)
    Victorians (Workshop of the World and Empire Was Bad, mmm'kay, We Enslaved Black People!),

And very little sense of how the UK as it is today came about. History is so much more interesting than this. It's sad.

Mine was a bit different.

Roman Britain
    Norman Conquest
    Wars of the Roses
    English Civil Wars
    Acts of Union
    Industrial Revolution
    (It ended here in the final term of my fourth year as I was transferred to a school overseas, but my former school friends said they were taught from thereon: )
    British Empire
    Ages of Technology
    WWI
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Hmmm from memory we studied:

Vikings
    Victorians
    Egyptians
    Wars of independence and the act of union
    Agricultural revolution
    Industrial revolution
    First and Second World War

It was 25 - 30 years ago though, there must be more that I've forgotton. :o I took both history and geography to Higher level and there was often a crossover between the two. I still love history so I forget what I learned at school and what I've learned since.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine was
    Industrial Revolution
    Tudors
    Then Modern, wars etc.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree; the Unification of the United Kingdom in particular always seemed to be such a massive hole in taught school history in my opinion, and I only discovered what the hell the Magna Carter was AFTER completing a GCSE in History!

We did:

Junior School:
    Ancient Greece
    Ancient Rome
    The Tudors
    The Victorians

Senior School (Pre-GCSE):
    Ancient Rome
    (and then a massive timeline jump to -)
    The Norman Conquest
    The English Civil War
    Industrial Revolution
    World War I
    World War II
    Irish War of Independence

GCSE:
    The Liberal Reforms
    The Suffragette Movement
    The War Effort
    The Treaty of Versailles
    The League of Nations
    The Rise of Hitler
    Prohibition
    The Great Depression
    Roosevelt's New Deal
    Nazi Germany

So pretty much the usual topics (apart from I've never heard of anyone else learning about the Irish War of Independence).

And in regards to the recent discovery of Richard III, we never did anything on the War Of The Roses, or anything on many monarchs in general really; if you weren't Edward the Confessor, Harold II, William I, a Tudor, Charles II, Cromwell or Victoria we weren't taught about you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange how the White Irish slave history of the 17th Century was conveniently left out of all history lessons and general knowledge of history of slavery. Black people wrongly assume their ancestors were the most harshly treated slaves in histrory. In fact the Irish slave was deemed of lower value than the black slave and treated more harshly according to history.
    'During the 1650s, over 100,000 Irish children between the ages of 10 and 14 were taken from their parents and sold as slaves in the West Indies, Virginia and New England. In this decade, 52,000 Irish (mostly women and children) were sold to Barbados and Virginia. Another 30,000 Irish men and women were also transported and sold to the highest bidder. In 1656, Cromwell ordered that 2000 Irish children be taken to Jamaica and sold as slaves to English settlers.'

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-irish-slave-trade-the-forgotten-white-slaves/31076

I wish we were taught real historical facts at school.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Have yo read some of the books in Waterstone's history section???
    The Horrible Histories're nothing compared some of the history books I've got from Waterstones and The Works, llike what they used during the mummification process in Ancient Egypt, the books of Torture and execution methods, books on the Roman gladiators (don't ask about how a woman was executed involving a wooden cow and a rampant bull.
    I like the darker side of history and what they didn't teach us in history lessons at school:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Actually, the actors in The Royal Armies do good reenactments and demonstrations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone explain why History is even taught in school? It seems a waste when you could do more Maths, Science, Geography, English and Languages.

Learning History seems more of a leisurely thing - dates and events. It just doesn't seem important.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    Can someone explain why History is even taught in school? It seems a waste when you could do more Maths, Science, Geography, English and Languages.

Learning History seems more of a leisurely thing - dates and events. It just doesn't seem important.

Being a writer of fantasy fiction I find history/mythology books a good source of inspirartion, basic ideas like some of the torture sequences in my stories (and the people torturing the guards're supposed to be the good guys!!):eek::eek::eek:
    Just think how effecti grenade launchers could be during a medieval seige style battle and pressurised steel beer gegs from pubs set to explode after being launched from giant catapults....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    Being a writer of fantasy fiction I find history/mythology books a good source of inspirartion, basic ideas like some of the torture sequences in my stories (and the people torturing the guards're supposed to be the good guys!!):eek::eek::eek:
    Just think how effecti grenade launchers could be during a medieval seige style battle and pressurised steel beer gegs from pubs set to explode after being launched from giant catapults....

Doesn't really answer my question, with respect.
  • j4the1j4the1 Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To control you.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine was...

The Battle of Hastings in 1066 (first ever thing taught)
    The Vikings and Romans
    The Tudors
    The Victorians
    World War 1 and 2... peace treaties, Hitler, Stalin, New Deals, Prohibition, Flappers and Propaganda.

That's it.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Jillstar wrote: »
    I was watching "A History of Britain: By Simon Sharma" earlier and I found the details of the conflicts between England and Scotland,Ireland and Wales really interesting and also the other parts of medieval British history that have been mentioned.
    It has made me think, why are the same periods of British history always taught in schools? I remember being taught about the Tudors (from Henry VII to Elizabeth I - mainly Henry VIII and Elizabeth I) countless times and of course the First and Second World War, but why are things like the creation of parliament and the history of our laws never taught?
    I can completely understand why we are taught about the 2 world wars as they are still relatively modern history, terrible atrocities and there is a lot of primary sources (e.g. film footage, interviews with veterans and survivors etc...) to back it up and create interest.
    But with the Tudors, apart from the creation of the Church of England, the issues around heirs and with Elizabeth I being one of the most formidable queens in British history, what else is there of major importance when compared with other points in history?
    Why don't we learn more about things like the Magna Carta, the Unification of Great Britain, the history of Parliament, the Civil War and the re-establishment of the monarchy?

I did all that at school but then Mummy and Daddy paid for those lessons.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dezire wrote: »
    Strange how the White Irish slave history of the 17th Century was conveniently left out of all history lessons and general knowledge of history of slavery. Black people wrongly assume their ancestors were the most harshly treated slaves in histrory. In fact the Irish slave was deemed of lower value than the black slave and treated more harshly according to history.
    'During the 1650s, over 100,000 Irish children between the ages of 10 and 14 were taken from their parents and sold as slaves in the West Indies, Virginia and New England. In this decade, 52,000 Irish (mostly women and children) were sold to Barbados and Virginia. Another 30,000 Irish men and women were also transported and sold to the highest bidder. In 1656, Cromwell ordered that 2000 Irish children be taken to Jamaica and sold as slaves to English settlers.'

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-irish-slave-trade-the-forgotten-white-slaves/31076
    I didn't know about this and I can see why it's not taught in England
    I wish we were taught real historical facts at school.

I don't recall being taught liues,
  • NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    I do agree; the Unification of the United Kingdom in particular always seemed to be such a massive hole in taught school history in my opinion, and I only discovered what the hell the Magna Carter was AFTER completing a GCSE in History!

We did:

Junior School:
    Ancient Greece
    Ancient Rome
    The Tudors
    The Victorians

Senior School (Pre-GCSE):
    Ancient Rome
    (and then a massive timeline jump to -)
    The Norman Conquest
    The English Civil War
    Industrial Revolution
    World War I
    World War II
    Irish War of Independence

GCSE:
    The Liberal Reforms
    The Suffragette Movement
    The War Effort
    The Treaty of Versailles
    The League of Nations
    The Rise of Hitler
    Prohibition
    The Great Depression
    Roosevelt's New Deal
    Nazi Germany

So pretty much the usual topics (apart from I've never heard of anyone else learning about the Irish War of Independence).

And in regards to the recent discovery of Richard III, we never did anything on the War Of The Roses, or anything on many monarchs in general really; if you weren't Edward the Confessor, Harold II, William I, a Tudor, Charles II, Cromwell or Victoria we weren't taught about you.

Did you go to the same school as me?! I've often wondered why we're spoonfed these things, and of course the rewriting of history and all that springs to mind. Maybe it's all just what they want us to know, blur stuff out that doesn't matter to the agenda. Who knows lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »

History teaches you critical thinking. Part of the GCSE syllabus at least is learning to analyse the reliability of sources and to understand them in the wider context.

Plus, many of the biggest mistakes politicians make today are repeats of mistakes made years ago. If they paid attention to history they could avoid that.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We studied British history for the 'O' Level course, but the class never got through all of the coursework. The course only covered the years from about 1760 to 1900. Unfortunately, only about half of the questions we had to choose from on the exam paper were from this period. The rest of them covered the years up to the end of World War Two. The extremely limited choice of questions to answer caused many to fail.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    History teaches you critical thinking. Part of the GCSE syllabus at least is learning to analyse the reliability of sources and to understand them in the wider context.

Plus, many of the biggest mistakes politicians make today are repeats of mistakes made years ago. If they paid attention to history they could avoid that.

I was never taught critical thinking within history, must be a new thing. If so I applaud it.
  • RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is always an agenda.

For example the same old subject of black slavery is always taught. But kids are never taught about the rampant white slavery that went on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny-br wrote: »
    I agree with the OP.

Romans (central heating)

I think it has much more to do with the national curiculum than the subjects, the exams (gcse/A levels) must be worked toward throughout the child's school life, so teh subjects are more 'fixed' than 'flexable' this creates a rather narrow history study. I think teh ther factor is that the overall hope is that studying history in this way will stir the interest in teh student who will then go onto look at other parts of world history.
    I would prefer that students learned more about subjects that created the Britian we 'have' today. industrial revolution, the two wars, prime ministers, law and rulers (kings queens) this kind of history shaped our country so I tend to think it helps us to understand why people feel and behave the way they do.