What's your view of Cornwall

mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
Forum Member
Interested to know other peoples opinion of Cornwall.

Having lived here all my life im of the opinion that all that's good about Cornwall is the beaches and countryside.

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know, never been there :p
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see it from here. :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Far away.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never been but I imagine it to be very green with small fields and dry stone walls, lots of isolated villages and farms, local shops for local people, abandoned tin mines, lots of sheep

Pretty similar to all the western extremities of these islands......
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As another person from Cornwall but who lived away for a large part of my life before coming back, the prevailing sort of views I came across when people asked where I was from was that it was a giant tourism theme park and also that it has an air of mystery, magic, romance and paganism.

Not much awareness of the relative poverty etc
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister lives down there these days and it is far from me (good, selfish cow). My niece said it rains a lot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been there loads of times and love it. If I could have afforded it I would have retired there.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginsters Cornish Pasties,tin mines,own language,independence,St Ives,scenery,surfers,high unemployment,expensive housing,holiday homes owned by Londoners,posh kids on the piss at school term end.
  • mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote: »
    As another person from Cornwall but who lived away for a large part of my life before coming back, the prevailing sort of views I came across when people asked where I was from was that it was a giant tourism theme park and also that it has an air of mystery, magic, romance and paganism.

Not much awareness of the relative poverty etc

There's many towns inland which are as rough as rats
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes that's the thing. Been there loads of times on holidays and its a beautiful holiday destination. But I imagine living and working there is rather different especially as outsiders have pushed up the cost of houses at the expense of locals.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    Interested to know other peoples opinion of Cornwall.

Having lived here all my life im of the opinion that all that's good about Cornwall is the beaches and countryside.

You have the best stone circles in England.:D And some of the loveliest, sometimes creepy, places. I'm a Northerner - but love Cornwall. Not been back for about ten years but we used to go a lot. It's a gorgeous county full of history, character and atmosphere. Love it.
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    Ginsters Cornish Pasties,tin mines,own language,independence,St Ives,scenery,surfers,high unemployment,expensive housing,holiday homes owned by Londoners,posh kids on the piss at school term end.

Ginsters are not pasties
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's many towns inland which are as rough as rats
    I was brought up in one!
    Forum Member
    Yes that's the thing. Been there loads of times on holidays and its a beautiful holiday destination. But I imagine living and working there is rather different especially as outsiders have pushed up the cost of houses at the expense of locals.

Public transport here can make things very difficult. The only major hospital is in Truro which is a fair old trek if you live in North Cornwall, made even worse if you don't have a car
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginsters are not pasties

Well I buy them sometimes.Full of fat I know but good when you're pissed and in a hurry.
    I think I saw the real pasties on Eddie Stobart doc a few months ago.The guy was delivering to somewhere in Cornwall.Stopped off at some famous local bakers.The thing he bought was a monster!.It looked gorgeous.:-D
    Forum Member
    I was brought up in one!

Likewise, going to the coast feels like a holiday
    Forum Member
    Well I buy them sometimes.Full of fat I know but good when you're pissed and in a hurry.
    I think I saw the real pasties on Eddie Stobart doc a few months ago.The guy was delivering to somewhere in Cornwall.Stopped off at some famous local bakers.The thing he bought was a monster!.It looked gorgeous.:-D

For a proper pasty it's best to get one from the bakers. You cant beat a pasty from Barnecutts or Niles.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a lovely place but travelling around is rather difficult.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a proper pasty it's best to get one from the bakers. You cant beat a pasty from Barnecutts or Niles.

Just checked.It was 'Philps' bakery the trucker went to.As good as they said it was?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Chough Bakery in Padstow have great pasties.

http://www.cornishpasty.com/

or Barnecutts in Wadebridge.

http://www.barnecutt.co.uk/
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    I think Cornwall is a beautiful county and I love going there. However, as a far away Northerner I suppose its very different for those of you who live there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Chough Bakery in Padstow have great pasties.

http://www.cornishpasty.com/

or Barnecutts in Wadebridge.

http://www.barnecutt.co.uk/

Mmmmm!.Look what we're missing out on.I sense a business opportunity for these firms in Scotland.We'd appreciate their fine fatty wares!.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ann's Pasties and Philps are my favourites.

http://www.annspasties.co.uk/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ann's Pasties and Philps are my favourites.

http://www.annspasties.co.uk/

I wouldn't be into those mail order pasties.Fresh,frozen,presentation box etc.Food poisoning anyone?.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be into those mail order pasties.Fresh,frozen,presentation box etc.Food poisoning anyone?.:o
    I'm sure they've taken precautions!