Options

Ghostbusters 3?

jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
Forum Member
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a117612/carell-rogen-to-star-in-ghostbusters.html

Seems about every 5 years the Ghostbusters 3 rumour returns.
Although now that Hollywood have milked more money or remade nearly every cash cow they ever had it is possible that this may actually happen.

I just can't see Bill taking part and a sequel seems at least 10 years too late,I think it will be more of a reboot with only brief cameos by Dan,Harold and Ernie.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    As much as i like Steve Carrell and Seth Rogen, i definitely don't want this to happen. Just leave it at 2 films for gods sake!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I was under the impression the new Ghostbusters computer game was effectively the third part.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Mother puss bucket!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if it can't have the original cast, it shouldnt be made. I can't stand Steve Carrell and I've never even heard of the other guy !

Far too many films are being brought bacl to life when they should just leave well alone.
  • Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan akroyd( and I think Harodl Ramis) completed a script which involved a Hades version of New York. The studio rejected it!

this is wikipedia so there may be some basic errors in it but i think this basically sums up what was going on with it

uture film

Ghostbusters III is a proposed project. During his interview with Mike McGuire on CISN Country 103.9 FM in Edmonton, Alberta, Dan Aykroyd announced that Ghostbusters III: Hellbent will be CGI. "I can do all the things I wanted to do for much, much less money," he stated. Aykroyd wrote the script, which was described by IGN as being "too technical", with a new team of Ghostbusters that were not clearly delineated and had no group conflict or leading personalities.[19] Bill Murray has been thought to have held up the making of a third Ghostbusters movie, despite Aykroyd's enthusiasm, due to his desire not to do another live action movie and his dislike of sequels.[20] However, he has now signed on to make the movie now that it will be CGI.[21] Harold Ramis is already attached. Sigourney Weaver has not expressed enthusiasm at doing another sequel.[22] Harold Ramis mentioned in 2005 that he wanted Ben Stiller to take Bill Murray's part in the then titled Ghostbusters in Hell.[23][24] The plot was to follow the three Ghostbusters attempting to find a replacement for Bill Murray's character while dealing with ghosts rejected from hell.[25] Aykroyd later elaborated, now that Murray is on board, that in the movie "We go to the hell side of Manhattan, downtown, Foley Square. It's all where the cops are--they are all blue minotaurs. Central Park is this huge peat mine with green demons there, surrounded by black onyx thousand-foot high apartment buildings with classic red devils, very wealthy. We go and visit a Donald Trump-like character who is Mr. Sifler. Luke Sifler. Lu-cifer. So we meet the devil in it".[26] Jason Reitman, the son of Ghostbusters director Ivan Reitman, has stated that he has little interest in directing the movie.[27]. He was a guest on The Howard Stern Show on April 10, 2008; when he was asked if he would direct Ghostbusters 3 and cast Howard, he said "do you know how many times I get asked if I want to do Ghostbusters 3? Looking at my career so far, I mean if you just looked at my two films, I would make the most boring Ghostbusters movie. It would just be people talking about ghosts, there wouldn't be any ghost-busting in it." Recently, Ernie Hudson told Moviehole.net, that Ghostbusters III is still very much a possibility. He said he hoped that the new video game would generate renewed interest in a 3rd Ghostbusters film. [28] The February 2008 copy of Total Film magazine has stated that the game will use the plot devices of the third film, quoting Aykroyd as saying, "This is essentially the third movie". All old cast members have been signed on to the video game aside from Rick Moranis and Sigourney Weaver. [29]

In an interview with Gameinformer, Aykroyd stated that the up coming Ghostbusters video game would be "as closest to a third movie that you can get."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as Will Ferrell stays well clear, I'm alright with this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    jamespondo wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a117612/carell-rogen-to-star-in-ghostbusters.html

Seems about every 5 years the Ghostbusters 3 rumour returns.
    Although now that Hollywood have milked more money or remade nearly every cash cow they ever had it is possible that this may actually happen.

I just can't see Bill taking part and a sequel seems at least 10 years too late,I think it will be more of a reboot with only brief cameos by Dan,Harold and Ernie.

Sorry to disappoint GB fans (I'm one of them)- this article is the result of some ghostbuster fan changing the heads of the actors in a picture to those of Carrell, ect. There is no truth in it and for the time being, No Ghostbusters III. There was a strong rumour stating there will be a CGI movie released next year and its possible announcement at Comic Con this year but this proved false. The Video Game is supposed to take the place of a 3rd movie - though, we'll have to wait and see. Another GB movie wouldnt be so bad...though it looks like the game will be delayed until next year to celebrate Ghostbusters 25th Annivesary
  • Options
    cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the game does well then I could see the studios being interested - maybe not in a full feature but perhaps another animated series??
  • Options
    chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    Be nice to see a 3rd film.

The graphics in the new game look excellent, could be mistaken has a film lol.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14218846/ghostbusters-the-video-game/images/ghostbusters-the-video-game-20071204024123025.html?page=mediaFull
  • Options
    mattshentonmattshenton Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought the 3rd film was cgi???????

i remember back in 1999 when will smith was going to be a GB, just another rumour
  • Options
    jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    The long rumoured 3rd Gremlins is meant to be CGI.

I somehow cannot see the inevitable Ghostbusers 3 a complete CGI affair like TMNT was.
    There is just too much money to be made out of a live action movie,although a CGI one would fair very well at the box office a live action one would surely attract many more people

Let's face it Hollywood is virtually out of ideas,hence why they are doing remake after remake.They have Freddy Krueger,Jason Vorhees,Axl Foley,Robocop and The Terminator heading back to the big screen within the next few years,I would be very surprised if the Ghostbusters brand was left untouched.

They can do more with the special effects now than they could in 84 and 89 and the premise of Ghostbusting is not just confined to the 80's,it's an amusing scenerio.

Murray,Akroyd and even Weaver are not really box office draws anymore but the likes of Carrell,Rogen,Will Smith,Ben Stiller are.

I think they'll see how much money the video game will make and get one into pre production because a Ghostbusters revival comes attached with money spinning merchandise,action figures,TV spinoff etc.
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Is anybody else fed up with these CGI rumours when it comes to sequels? It seems people can't be arsed to make a proper film or sequel so they do it in CGI, some people say it's better than nothing well I don't agree.

I would rather have no further Ghostbuster/Gremlins/any movie films than watch some half arsed attempt at a sequel made up purely of CGI. It doesn't matter how good CGI gets it will never replace the human element in films.

It doesn't matter how crap the terror dogs look in Ghostbusters because the films are so damn good you can look past some of the more dodgy effects, it's the human characters that make thse films what they are, that will be lost with any CGI sequel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Ackroyed will continue fighting to make this 3rd film till the day he dies lol. He's been trying since 1990 - like the OP said this rumour crops up every few years. However with this game (which looks amazing) reinvigorating interest in the franchise I think he'll finally get his wish. They really shouldn't do it but sadly they most certainly wiil eventually. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    l5taylor wrote: »
    Sorry to disappoint GB fans (I'm one of them)- this article is the result of some ghostbuster fan changing the heads of the actors in a picture to those of Carrell, ect. There is no truth in it and for the time being, No Ghostbusters III.

Disappointed? Not me. I don't think they should do a third. Bill's right. Leave it as it was. As for handing it over to Carrell and Rogen....urgh. What a terrible thought.

I'm a big fan of Ghostbusters. Loved it as a kid. But to me the idea of a third one is crazy. Looks at all the other sequels to old films that have pissed everyone off lately. I'm thinking specifically of Indiana Jones here.

Best left alone I say.
  • Options
    TAZMANUKTAZMANUK Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ghostbusters the video game was supposed to come out 21/10/08 i think but mayve delayed until 2009 to go along with the 25th aniversary of ghostbusters.

that would be a good day if they annouced a 3rd movie, as then they would rake in the money from the release of gb 1 and gb2 on bluray, also the game and other merchandise.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    According to Aintitcool.com Bill Murray could be interested in the idea of Ghostbusters 3:

"I'm sure at some point the video of this will come out, but the non-line for line version of the question was how would Murray feel about strapping on the proton pack and kicking some ghost ass again?

I was very curious to hear Murray's answer. He's not as available to the press or public as Dan Aykroyd or Harold Ramis and he also seemed to be the least enthusiastic about a Ghostbusters sequel...

But tonight he said that he knew "some writers from THE OFFICE" were taking a stab at the script right now (which we already knew) and that he thinks that's a good start. He paused for a few seconds then said that he thinks enough time has passed and that "the wounds from GHOSTBUSTERS 2 are healed" and that he would definitely be into doing another GHOSTBUSTERS movie, stating that the first 40 minutes of the original film is some of the best stuff he's been associated with and the whole shoot was an amazing amount of fun.

He also went on to say that his enthusiasm for Ghostbusters was heightened after recording the voice of Peter Venkman for the video game over the summer. In fact, he said he found himself walking down the street singing the Ghostbusters theme song and then thought people walking around him were going to start yelling at him to "get over yourself, Bill," so he stopped... But the enthusiasm was there.

How cool is that?!?!?

And I got to shake his hand (down in a cave an hour and a half outside of Austin, no less) and have about 30 seconds of smalltalk with the man, where I blubbered something about STRIPES, CADDYSHACK and GHOSTBUSTERS being seminal films growing up and quickly ran back into the huge crowd trying to get at him. I found him to be a lot nicer and down to earth than I expected. It was a great day to be a geek...

Just thought I'd share the words from the man himself on GHOSTBUSTERS 3. If I was concerned about yet another '80s cornerstone being revisited (and possibly ruined) I'm totally over that now. If Murray is excited, then goddamn... who couldn't be excited?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    yeah i would like to see a new ghostbusters film, i even think they could fully utilise 3d graphics too! there have been a few quite weak 3d films but i think ghoatbusters would be perfect, i can just imagine ghosts flying through the audience, followed by streams of proton pack beams.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im pretty excited at the idea of GB3 now Murray is up for doing it. I know he was only a quarter of the cast but the first film was throughout my childhood and still is one of my favourite films, simply because i think as an adult the humour takes an entirely different form. But they need him for the new one and im glad they held off till he showed an interest, because it would not be the same without him. I would love them to simply make a new one using the original cast, and present it that this is 25 years after they started. Sure they've all changed but weirdly enough the great thing about ghostbusters is that it was very much grounded in reality, minus the ghosts :) the fact that they are all older, grey and fat but still ghostbusters is more exciting than having a "new breed" of ghostbusters and appealing to a new audience. I dont think they need to do that, because look at what happened with star wars - there is no need to appeal to a younger audience because there are enough older people who want to see it and younger audiences would check it out anyway.

And PLEASE - use CGI sparingly, despite having a career in motion graphics and design, i despise over-use of CGI in cinema, gone are they days where it meant big budget, i just think its simply lazy, and ghostbusters was never really about the quality of the special effects. the office guys being on board sounds like a great start as well, as thats the sort of humour that absolutely suits GB
  • Options
    MixstarMixstar Posts: 9,290
    Forum Member

Agreed!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I think a new GB would be great, as long asitsdone well and not 90 mins of half arsedary. All the original cast are lending their voices to the game so i think that shows that they are all intrested in the title still.

As for the game we may have along wait as the merge between activision and blizzard has left many games including ghostbusters without a publisher, hopefully it will get scooped up fast.
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member

Ferrell I can take, hit and miss but can be very funny(Anchorman). Carell I like.

It is Seth ******* Rogan I cannot abide. If I live to be a million, I will never ever get the hype about this guy. I have had funnier festering sores...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chris2k2 wrote: »
    Be nice to see a 3rd film.

The graphics in the new game look excellent, could be mistaken has a film lol.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14218846/ghostbusters-the-video-game/images/ghostbusters-the-video-game-20071204024123025.html?page=mediaFull

Wow! :cool: I've been waiting my entire life for this game. :D I hope it plays as good as it looks.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if anyone here can understand Italian but here you go :D.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b32qeA3glYw&feature=related
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Even though that's fake that's kind of how it would hopefully look. They should have done this a few years ago though. Still, I would definitely see Ghostbusters 3 no matter what, even if the original cast weren't in it at all.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one bad mashup :D