• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12 core GPU? What's wrong with 16?
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »

I guess they want to keep the price down.

Under £200: That's the key statistic for this tablet.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »

Cores are misleading, it's 12 SIMD units, which is why PowerVR's actual quad core GPU outperforms it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    here's the Project Glass live demo, bookmarked to the right spot in the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCp34EElAEA&t=1h36m

edit:hmm not working right now. When it goes back up, 1hr 36 is the point to aim for...

Looks really interesting, wonder when we can buy these!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Looks really interesting, wonder when we can buy these!

Only available to select developers based in the states from next year. :(

The demos for glass and google events is pretty impressive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tried the nexus7 tablet (if you are in London, its available at the Google I/O extended event).

It has pretty much the same dimension and size as the Galaxy Tab 2, except for the screen (which is quality!). There was a big queue to hold this device, but this should sell like hotcakes.

If you are in the market for a tablet, you would be crazy not to consider this. Only downside is the size of the screen and honestly I am not sure that is a negative.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosetech wrote: »
    Just tried the nexus7 tablet (if you are in London, its available at the Google I/O extended event).

It has pretty much the same dimension and size as the Galaxy Tab 2, except for the screen (which is quality!). There was a big queue to hold this device, but this should sell like hotcakes.

If you are in the market for a tablet, you would be crazy not to consider this. Only downside is the size of the screen and honestly I am not sure that is a negative.

Yeah the 220dpi is one of its great features IMO.

The 7 inch screen means it's far more portable which isn't a bad thing.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microphone, NFC (Android Beam)
    Accelerometer,GPS.
    Magnetometer,Gyroscope

Lack of SD slot sounds sop to other manufacturers.
    There will be indignation if USB storage does not work.
    https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_8gb

£159 if you want to order. Has the semi-obligatory GPS for its 7" size.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The screen is a bit small for me. Its almost a phone size.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Lack of SD slot sounds sop to other manufacturers.

There will be indignation if USB storage does not work.

This hasn't effected iPad sales, I doubt most people care.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was put off 7" tablets for a while, because I was thinking more of a laptop replacement that I could work on.... but as a media consumption device a la Kindle, it's perhaps won me over. Especially at that price point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The screen is a bit small for me. Its almost a phone size.

Thats an awfully big phone you have :D

For the travellers - 7" is perfect for travelling on cramped trains and car etc. I use my Galaxy Tab 2 more than my phone now. I will be ordering the Nexus7 and giving my galaxy to the wife ;)
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This hasn't effected iPad sales, I doubt most people care.

I think the reasoning might be - if not iPad then I want as much functionality and other bells and whistles as possible for my money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt most people care.
    Of course they care. It's not worth the hassle to admit it.

On the new 1080p+ iPad it seems ludicrous to not even have USB storage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course they care. It's not worth the hassle to admit it.

On the new 1080p+ iPad it seems ludicrous to not even have USB storage.

Ludicrous to you! Sales suggests otherwise.

The kind of people that post in tech forums doesn't even count for 1% of the buying public.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Its all about the Cloud these days. Apple, Google, Amazon: They're all pushing their Cloud services - look how Google push content from Google Movies on the tablet.

As such, I don't think the lack of a external storage port such as USB or Mirco Slot Cards will be a big deal for the majority of potential buyers.

Unless Goggle screw this up (or if Amazon responds with Kindle 2), that Nexus tablet will clean up come Xmas, especially at that price point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's full of the usual Nonsence you expect from the DM.
    A Tegra3 quad core chip with a seperate 12 core graphics processor

They do know this is an SoC right?

Better off reading actual tech sites.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Methinks it is a 5 core Tegra with 12 GPU cores.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5072/nvidias-tegra-3-launched-architecture-revealed/2
    That 5th Core is a low speed one for background battery saving tasks.

Compare the Guardian review to the Daily Mail and you will see just how informative it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Methinks it is a 5 core Tegra with 12 GPU cores.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5072/nvidias-tegra-3-launched-architecture-revealed/2

That 5th Core is a low speed one for background battery saving tasks..

Yes Anandtech is correct, the Tegra 3 is an SoC that consists of a 2 CPUs, GPU, memory controller and other logic.

One CPU is quad core and the other is single core, while the GPU consists of 12 SIMDs.

Again it's just not a place I would go for any news as they regularly make things up.

The wording of the DM makes the Tegra sound like a processor with a seperate GPU, not an SoC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To add the press seems to mix up SIMDs and cores, they are not the same thing, a core can contain multiple SIMDs such as the MP4+ the Vita uses, it has 4 physical core each containing 4 SIMDs and so contains a total of 16 SIMDs.

This is nonsence marketing speak to make the Tegra 3 sound better than it is, the sad thing is its a very good chip, no need to confuse customers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12 core is marketing but even AandTEch also say "this brings Tegra 3's GPU core count up to 12".
    It no different from the dumbed down world of Retina.

Try and find a better newspaper report than that Daily Mail one. They all make errors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    12 core is marketing but even AandTEch also say "this brings Tegra 3's GPU core count up to 12".
    It no different from the dumbed down world of Retina.

Try and find a better newspaper report than that Daily Mail one. They all make errors.

My point was it referred to the tegra 3 as if it was a processor and the GPU was seperate unlike the BBC that said the tegra consisted of a CPU and GPU.

This guy actually summarises the SIMD thing rather well http://gpucpu.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/cpu-gpu.html
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite fancy this. Much more portable than the ipad which I like . I really wanted a Kindle Fire but seems like Amazon have missed the boat now. Good price too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    I quite fancy this. Much more portable than the ipad which I like . I really wanted a Kindle Fire but seems like Amazon have missed the boat now. Good price too.

I wouldn't write off amazon, as the kindle 2 is expected in July.