May been said b4 but what a joke 'bruce' is

2»

Comments

• Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    All presenters read autocues... He doesn't write his jokes....the catchphrases are what make all top comedians and game show hosts....The joke writers this weekend need shooting but Bruce didn't hire them .
    The jokes are written for him, so why are they so awful?
    Tall Paul wrote: »
    because the scriptwriters don't do it properly lol.:D
    bingoman wrote: »
    I thought he writes them himself:eek:

Bingoman is correct. Bruce is credited as a writer for the show. I didn't look at the credits tonight, but last night only two writers were credited, one of which was Bruce Forsyth.
  • PastaPasta Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've disliked Bruce Forsyth and his aggressive, unfunny 'comedy' style and pitiful quasi-dancing for a quarter of a century and, strangely, age hasn't mellowed me or improved him.
  • CarnabyDreamsCarnabyDreams Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    labasheedy wrote: »
    I love old Brucie :)

Me too, I love Brucie. Some people will just never get him!

Hey ho... intelligence is left at the door when it comes to Digital Spy.

;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    fabulist wrote: »
    He's awful. Totally unfunny, awkward and he never knows when to shut up. And the problem is that for every one person who likes him, there's five who find him so bad that he spoils the show for them. The presenter should be more neutral and shouldn't be provoking such strong disliking by so many.
    I have to guess he puts a lot of people off watching, young people in particular.

You mean dull?
    When Bruce retires then you will get what you wish for.
    And young people should be out on a Saturday night not watching BBC1
  • fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No not at all. But a basic level of competence should surely be on show? And as for young people - I'm unsure why you feel they should be out. Let them stay in and enjoy it if it's there thing :)
    Personally I have no issue with an older presenter (as long as they are decent) my original comment regarding his age alienating younger people was more a comment on how desperate the BBC have become for ratings with SCD and how he perhaps isn't helping them with it.
    But I have nothing against Brucey as a person and I have nothing but respect for his incredible career. But I think he is no longer capable of fronting such a show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Me too, I love Brucie. Some people will just never get him!

Hey ho... intelligence is left at the door when it comes to Digital Spy.

;)

I agree - he was as magical as ever. No one else could ever replace him.
  • silkdragonsilkdragon Posts: 1,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband who is 80, will not watch strictly because of Bruce, and his terrible jokes.
    In his day Bruce was very entertaining, but enough is enough.
    Nothing to do with intelligence, because you dont care for someone, does not make you unintelligent. what happened to freedom of speech ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    labasheedy wrote: »
    I love old Brucie :)

For heavens' sake why???

He's flagging. His "jokes" are flagging.

Time for the eject button.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silkdragon wrote: »
    My husband who is 80, will not watch strictly because of Bruce, and his terrible jokes.
    In his day Bruce was very entertaining, but enough is enough.
    Nothing to do with intelligence, because you dont care for someone, does not make you unintelligent. what happened to freedom of speech ?

Your husband is very intelligent and discerning. I support his views wholeheartedly.

And I do remember the original Generation Game - it went off badly, like old stuff in the fridge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    The question is, if not Brucie, then who?

Graham Norton?
    Jonathon Ross? oh yeah, he works for ITV now..
    Terry Wogan? Would be a RIOT but he's done it before and is catching up on Brucie in age.
    Chris Evans?

Yes Bruce is old, yes his jokes are terrible, but he does keep an air of 'entertainment' to proceedings, instead of the drivel that other presenters would come out with.
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    The jokes are written for him, so why are they so awful?

Take a look at the scriptwriting credits at the ned of the show..... and whose name is listed there.....

He writes that crap himsef!
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bruce's jokes may not be that funny but they make up a very small percentage of the show, so why get iriate about it? You're not watching stand-up comedy when you watch SCD, you're watching celebrities dancing. :rolleyes:

We're not meant to like everyone we see in life. Some people have had enough of Craig's use of the word "darlllling" some viewers have had enough of Bruno's over-enthusiastic behaviour, some people think Aleshia shouldn't be judging because she's not a professional judge etc but at the end of the day, non of these things on their own play a big part of the show.
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brucie thinks the show is all about him & never shuts up.
    He needs to go.
  • brendans babebrendans babe Posts: 34,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but the bricked treatment of Gavin last night was brutal - when they had finished their dance he said ' look there a few of them standing' - jeez I couldn't believe my ears. This is just no filter on his brain anymore!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Bruce is one of the things that spoils SCD for me (the other is the weird marking).

Its not just poor jokes, its the fact that he is often stumbling over them and his other lines, sometimes he seems to forget what should be happening next. I also don't like the way he interferes with what the judges are saying - that's not his job, as a presenter IMO his only input during Judges feedback should be to say well done to the couple coming off the floor.

I thought his comment to Gavin and Katya last night re some of the audience standing sounded sarcastic and was crass.

The million dollar question would be who to replace him with. Although he's getting on I would rather Sir Terry of Wogan who can still deliver the goods on a live show, or Graham Norton who I've thought has done a good job on the ALW shows.

What I wouldn't mind seeing though is Tess bumped up to Bruce's role (as long as she quits the inane showmance obsession) with Claudia taking Tess's role - she already has a great relationship with the couples because of ITT. I have much preferred the results show with those two rather than Bruce
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bruce is alright, i would rather watch 2 hours of him alone than watch a few mins of dull Daly
  • lovelylissalovelylissa Posts: 1,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just let Anton or John Barrowman take over - I don't know one person that actually likes the way Bruce presents. My parents sky plus it purely so they can edit him out.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,509
    Forum Member
    azurro9 wrote: »
    You mean dull?
    When Bruce retires then you will get what you wish for.
    And young people should be out on a Saturday night not watching BBC1

Just shows how many young people you know.

Most I know are in bed at a weekend, surfacing to eat around 6-7pm (when Strictly is on) and going out around 9pm to return some time around 4am:D
  • youngswedeyoungswede Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally i like Bruce, and always will, for me he's the face of the show, and he loves what he's doing, even if others don't. If he left there would be a big gap to fill, whereas Tessa could be easily replaced in my opinion. I particularly liked the Deer/Venison joke.

He might not present perfectly, but who does...?
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC seem to have the idea that the likes of Brucie and Terry Wogan are "part of the furniture" for viewers. That we feel a warm and comforting glow when these old-timers appear on our screens.
    That may be true, I don't know. I can think of several presenters that I would prefer, but perhaps Brucie does indeed manage to "cross the generations" ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bruce is one of the things that spoils SCD for me (the other is the weird marking).

Its not just poor jokes, its the fact that he is often stumbling over them and his other lines, sometimes he seems to forget what should be happening next. I also don't like the way he interferes with what the judges are saying - that's not his job, as a presenter IMO his only input during Judges feedback should be to say well done to the couple coming off the floor.

I thought his comment to Gavin and Katya last night re some of the audience standing sounded sarcastic and was crass.

The million dollar question would be who to replace him with. Although he's getting on I would rather Sir Terry of Wogan who can still deliver the goods on a live show, or Graham Norton who I've thought has done a good job on the ALW shows.

What I wouldn't mind seeing though is Tess bumped up to Bruce's role (as long as she quits the inane showmance obsession) with Claudia taking Tess's role - she already has a great relationship with the couples because of ITT. I have much preferred the results show with those two rather than Bruce

I agree - poor jokes, terrible delivery, and a belief that the whole show is about him. Horrible interaction with the contestants a lot of the time as well - the incident with Gavin and Katya being a prime example - and recycled jokes being used over again. For example, the joke he made about Artem phoning up to vote for Pamela - I'm certain that exact same joke was made last year (with the names changed, obviously) to Brian and Ali.

I think Tess should be moved up to Bruce's role, Claudia in Tess''s current role and Karen Hardy brought up to present ITT. (Though then again, I'm in the minority who would love John Barrowman to take over (don't hurt me!))
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree - poor jokes, terrible delivery, and a belief that the whole show is about him. Horrible interaction with the contestants a lot of the time as well - the incident with Gavin and Katya being a prime example - and recycled jokes being used over again. For example, the joke he made about Artem phoning up to vote for Pamela - I'm certain that exact same joke was made last year (with the names changed, obviously) to Brian and Ali.

I think Tess should be moved up to Bruce's role, Claudia in Tess''s current role and Karen Hardy brought up to present ITT. (Though then again, I'm in the minority who would love John Barrowman to take over (don't hurt me!))

NO! NO ! NO !..please God..NO !
    Brucie can stay until they nail down his coffin if that's the alternative.