F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season

Comments

• R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »
    yup, it does, but there are some interesting comments beneath it :)
    I did read it after posting that, but didn't have chance to post again.

I was not as bad as I thought it would be actually.
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For the BBC coverage, I think if you asked most people, they'd happily cut some analysis and chat in favour of extra race footage. And as they aren't live, why fight to talk over engine noise when they have the ability to record the link a few minutes earlier or later?

As for the Sky coverage, well it should be pretty comprehensive given they have a dedicated channel. I believe a live BBC weekend will now have around ten hours of coverage on network television, plus the forum.

What the article fails to mention is the most prolific part of Sky's coverage - the VT. I love a good intro or a montage, but some of the ones on Sky do end up being a bit repetitive, particularly around the breaks. Otherwise, praise of TK is justified, Martin's gridwalk credit should go to ITV because nothing's really changed about it since then and the 'banter' between the presenters that's highlighted is still pretty painful for the viewer to watch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone tell me what the music was that Sky used in their 'numbers game segment' part of the show?

Bump - as my question seems to have been lost in the Sky/BBC 'chat'!
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    I don't think the slating is an issue or a problem really -
    You obviously saw suzi on on Moto GP before then with Steve - if so you'll know that she is a football fan (some thing I'm not at all)
    & while she took a swipe at F1 she would also at football -
    mainly for the mildest injury to take a premier player out while the likes of say bayliss lost a fingertip & a teste I believe & was back racing pretty much straight away ....

& at that time you have to remember F1 was in its immensely dull phase so she would have a dig on overtaking and excitement.......

Honestly though it was always done tongue in cheek & a nod & a wink so she really hasn't been so anti she shouldn't present. It was always an in-joke for bikers ...

I found Jake's matey style grating really anyway....almost as if they were trying to be the top gear crew on an adventure......
    Though hope they do still do things like out in campsite with Silverstone fans etc.

Early doors yet but think it was fine really though with it being highlights especially as so long after the event sometimes I want to shout just get on with the racing!!!

Different things to different people. Personally it doesn't mean much to me she slated F1 in the past, hopefully she'll be given a fair chance as F1 fans are merciless in hounding out someone they hate... Ie Leggard. She has a few bridges to build with some viewers, I'm sure though to many she hit the right spot right from the get go.

I agree on the matey thing, it really put me off the BBC and I'd just tune in for the race. To some people the matey thing was seen as endearing and a must have. It'll be interesting to see if the team can re capture that, as it was a clear differentiator from the more often maligned rigid SSF1 coverage.
  • gd49gd49 Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    I obviously wasn't paying as much attention to the BBC coverage as I should have been, I thought Gary Anderson was in the booth with Edwards and DC, rather than next door with Five Live! Did they only speak to him during the formation lap, or did they go to him later too?

Certainly I think having Anderson in a booth somewhere makes much more sense than having him in the pitlane - there seemed little benefit to him being in the pitlane last year, and he was often drowned out by engine noises. Thought Tom Clarkson did a decent enough job as the pits reporter, nowhere near as good as Kravitz was but will be a few years before Clarkson has the same contacts that Kravitz has built up.
  • sporter92sporter92 Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely this story of Channel 4 getting F1 was never going to happen, Channel 4 have handed back the rights to the World Athletics because they have the Paralympics and Horse Racing, could they have really brought in F1 aswell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sporter92 wrote: »
    Surely this story of Channel 4 getting F1 was never going to happen, Channel 4 have handed back the rights to the World Athletics because they have the Paralympics and Horse Racing, could they have really brought in F1 aswell.

I believe it was serious enough at the time, making a proposal and carrying it through are two different things though. Here's a few links to articles on it:

http://duncanblog.dailymail.co.uk/2011/08/revealed-channel-4s-last-ditch-bid-to-keep-formula-one-on-terrestrial-tv.html

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/c4s-failed-f1-bid-uncovered/5030824.article

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/formula-one-could-have-stayed-on-terrestrial-147213

To cut a long story short....C4 met the level of funding asked by FOM, BBC then agreed with Sky to do joint coverage with a higher bid than C4. Bernie went with the money, the reasons for 'why' the BBC stood in the way of C4 are open to speculation. The interesting thing is that Sky come out of it looking bad and the BBC as hard done by,

It's playing with hand grenades when discussing anything to do with the bidding process and the subsequent fall out.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    As long as I've got live coverage, Have extra feeds & Can watch the OnBoard-Mix alongside the TV, the commentary is good & there's no Ad's during the race, Im happy :D
  • F1-AddictF1-Addict Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Who said that? Just spotted Charles Bradley of AUTOSPORT say this: https://twitter.com/Autosport_Ed/status/313204792879091712

"Who at FOM do we need to harangue to ensure you do all the podium interviews this year? Or is it Bernie's call?
    Byron Young ‏@byronf1
    "So Sky TV have dozens of people running up and down the pit lane doing interviews and now they have taken over the print media Q&As. #f1" - 8:05 AM - 15 Mar 13

Kevin Eason ‏@easonF1
    "Of course Sky are everywhere here. Even taking over the official FIA press conferences. We will be employed as extras next" - 6:00 AM - 17 Mar 13
    Can anyone tell me what the music was that Sky used in their 'numbers game segment' part of the show?
    Foals - My Number
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    What the article fails to mention is the most prolific part of Sky's coverage - the VT. I love a good intro or a montage, but some of the ones on Sky do end up being a bit repetitive, particularly around the breaks.
    Unfortunately this still persists this year. For instance I don't see the point in playing a 30 second preview of a feature or interview before an advert especially when said feature only lasts 90 seconds when played in full (which was the case for the Horse Power Tower feature this weekend). 4 montages of the race in the 60 minute post-race is too many in my book, the Race In 60 Seconds and end of show montages are enough. And I've already stated my dislike for The Numbers Game in the past.

It was a shame that the Race on Team Radio VT was edited into an incomprehensible montage of music, random sound bites and flashy effects as opposed to last year when it played meaningful clips from the pits channel in a format that was easy to watch/listen to.

If I could be picky for a moment regarding Sky's post-session coverage, thinking back to last year I don't feel analysis & reflection of sessions took place before Sky were already looking ahead to the next race/season. The best example was post-USGP were analysis of the race took a back seat to hyping up the potential for rain in Brazil a week later. Also talk of Hamilton from Belgium onwards was almost always about 2013 & Mercedes rather than 2012 or what was happening at the time. Even in promoting the next race immediately after Q3 on Saturdays or the podium on Sundays every race weekend, it's worth covering the action that has just happened first before talking about the future or what's coming up (which is somewhat like what Charlie Brooker once said about end credits). Not a major issue by any means but I hope Sky bear this in mind this season.

All things considered I thought yesterday's post-race coverage from Sky was probably better than the 20 they produced last year. It was more fluid as a whole, the adverts were better placed and Simon was much more bearable with the ladish behaviour and cringeworthy banter kept to a minimum so signs of improvement. I like that they spent a while after the podium replaying the start from multiple angles with Herbert & Hill (which was part of what made the 2009-2010 forum so good) and then crossed to Davidson to analyse them thoroughly. I didn't miss Thompson on the SkyPad (The F1 Show is a completely different story however) and Ant seemed much more at ease when he could go at his own pace without being questioned. I can't say much for the pre-race as it was watched through weary eyes but I thought the run through of the top 10 was better when done in pairs, it was very drawn out last season covering each driver one by one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe it was serious enough at the time, making a proposal and carrying it through are two different things though. Here's a few links to articles on it:

http://duncanblog.dailymail.co.uk/2011/08/revealed-channel-4s-last-ditch-bid-to-keep-formula-one-on-terrestrial-tv.html

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/c4s-failed-f1-bid-uncovered/5030824.article

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/formula-one-could-have-stayed-on-terrestrial-147213

To cut a long story short....C4 met the level of funding asked by FOM, BBC then agreed with Sky to do joint coverage with a higher bid than C4. Bernie went with the money, the reasons for 'why' the BBC stood in the way of C4 are open to speculation. The interesting thing is that Sky come out of it looking bad and the BBC as hard done by,

It's playing with hand grenades when discussing anything to do with the bidding process and the subsequent fall out.

Thanks for that, I didn't realise it was so serious and we all know the BBC hierarchy were to blame but as I don't have Sky and have to stick with the BBC and to be honest F1 is one sport alongside Rugby Union and Tennis which the BBC excel at.

BBC probably stopped Channel 4 from getting it because it was such a success since it came back to the BBC in 2009
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not so sure. They've let the Grand National go to Channel 4 and that was a jewel in the BBC crown for years and years. I would doubt the BBC personally blocked Channel 4. My guess, if I had to make one, would be that Mr E was involved in some way.
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its anorak.

YOU ?
    Of all people to have gotten my deliberate misspelling joke.
    You would have been in my top 5 to get it !!

Oh well...

Sky did a great job on both race and quals.
    No complaints...
    That's right folks... None
    Jp
  • joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonpollak wrote: »
    YOU ?
    Of all people to have gotten my deliberate misspelling joke.
    You would have been in my top 5 to get it !!

Jp

Just kidding Jp ! :D

It wouldn't have took me so long, just catchin' up , went to LVMS for NNS and SC.
    Don't know if you ever seen Pretzel Logic, a Steely Dan Revue, they played two nights at The Cannery near the Speedway...pretty good.
    Lost the whole Friday through rain, see its not just Silverstone where that happens.
    Paid extra for Lucky 7 parking for a speedy exit, but they closed I-15 because of a fatal accident, it took four hours to get out.
    {*Apologies for O/T.}
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not so sure. They've let the Grand National go to Channel 4 and that was a jewel in the BBC crown for years and years. I would doubt the BBC personally blocked Channel 4. My guess, if I had to make one, would be that Mr E was involved in some way.

The BBC didn't let the Grand National go, Channel 4 doubled the BBC bid and it was believed to be around £10 million. It caused uproar because Channel 4 were basically being paid to show Saturday Afternoon Horse Racing only paying for The Cheltenham Festival but BBC were on shaky ground only wanting to cover the crown jewels getting rid of all other meetings such as Glorious Goodwood and Aussie Jim McGrath said the loss of Grandstand and the fact Channel 4 were being paid made it inevitable for the BBC to lose Horse Racing once Channel 4 wanted the jewels and if the Horse Racing Authorities didn't take the higher offer and wanted to stay with the BBC they would still be showing it this year.

I will say Mr E was probably involved in some way in the BBC/Sky deal as BBC did want to keep F1 but probably only interested in the big events like British GP, Start and End of season etc. which is why they did the 10 live and 10 highlights
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just kidding Jp ! :D

It wouldn't have took me so long, just catchin' up , went to LVMS for NNS and SC.
    Don't know if you ever seen Pretzel Logic, a Steely Dan Revue, they played two nights at The Cannery near the Speedway...pretty good.
    Lost the whole Friday through rain, see its not just Silverstone where that happens.
    Paid extra for Lucky 7 parking for a speedy exit, but they closed I-15 because of a fatal accident, it took four hours to get out.
    {*Apologies for O/T.}

Your posts are never off topic..
    Regardless of their content.

I heard a few years ago about PretzelLogic...
    There is one in the UK too called Nearly Dan

I hate Lost Wages
    As my father used to say..
    'Las Vegas serves a very important function for us all.
    Anyone you'd never want to meet is there'

Jp
  • joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonpollak wrote: »

'Las Vegas serves a very important function for us all.
    Anyone you'd never want to meet is there'

Jp

Very apt.

Must say the Speedway dealt with Friday really well, very promptly offering instant refunds for Friday only tickets, and honouring Friday Neon Garage passes on the Saturday without any fuss.
    Its great that families can see the drivers / cars up so close, have photos and autographs etc, very nicely organised.
    Be nice if F1 would let us do that a little without having to win the lottery and pay for Paddock Club, or have a corporate day out amongst people that couldn't care less.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very apt.

Must say the Speedway dealt with Friday really well, very promptly offering instant refunds for Friday only tickets, and honouring Friday Neon Garage passes on the Saturday without any fuss.
    Its great that families can see the drivers / cars up so close, have photos and autographs etc, very nicely organised.
    Be nice if F1 would let us do that a little without having to win the lottery and pay for Paddock Club, or have a corporate day out amongst people that couldn't care less.

My other half used to work for Vodafone, no end of colleagues being gifted tickets for hitting targets and not even bothering to attend...we're not talking 'general access aka pleb' tickets either....these were prime grandstand seats. Now working for VW and same again, tickets given out to Audi's hospitality at Le Mans etc, same type of airheads going along for a free drink but zero interest in the race. :mad:

I can't complain 'too' much though as last year I was given a hospitality ticket to Silverstone. as I'm friends with a chap who's dad is an FIA steward. But to be fair I've paid full whack for the past 5 years and hadn't planned to fork out for 2012. I must've been the only person in the corporate area bothered with the race, most of them were too busy texting and planning on their phones.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    The simple truth behind the F1 deal is it was inevitable.

Rupert Murdoch made noises about buying the whole sport, he wanted it badly, Bernie Ecclestone (as a businessman) wanted more money.

The BBC needed to save money.

Put them all together and the outcome was inevitable. F1 (like football, Cricket Gold - and others) is moving away from a FTA model. It's happening in other countries just like it's happening in this one.

Whatever happend with the rights, Sky have the most money and would not have wanted any FTA channel to have equivalent levels of coverage to it's own.

It's a fairly widely held belief (inside the media and not reported by newspapers) that, if the shared rights deal hadn't been done, then last year may have been the end of all races being live on the FTA TV in the UK (it would've been the end of the BBC's contract).

As it is, it ended the year before, but at last there are some live races for the next five years - it's highly probable (and i have had this conversation before with many of my colleagues at Sky) that there would have been no live races at all on FTA TV from this year. Whoever partnered with Sky (and Bernie would've always gone with Sky because they were offering the most money) would've not been allowed to have equivalent rights.

Reports in newspapers are one thing, but money talks louder than anything else, and the rightsholder with the most money will, almost always, have a say in how much the lower paying bidder can show.
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    It's a fairly widely held belief (inside the media and not reported by newspapers) that, if the shared rights deal hadn't been done, then last year may have been the end of all races being live on the FTA TV in the UK (it would've been the end of the BBC's contract).
    Sadly I could see this as being the case. If the BBC had seen out their contract, and it gone up for tender, Sky would have probably have done their usual trick and paid way more than it is worth to ensure they get the rights.

At least with the BBC renegotiating their contract and extending it to 2018 it guarantees there is at least FTA coverage of all of the races, even if only half of them are live. It is better than than it being behind a paywall completely.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the next contract comes up for discussions, could we see a battle between Sky and BT?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon the TV Deal from 2018 will be one of 3 scenarios
    1. Current deal remains, BBC/Sky
    2. BBC have Season Opener, British GP and Season Closer Live and rest highlights
    3. All on Sky with highlights on the BBC

BT may come into play but their main sport will be Premier League Football as Setanta and ESPN have shown it doesn't matter what else you have if you don't have football you will end up leaving the UK. If BT get more Premier League Football from 2016 then they may go after F1 but for BT at the minute football will be their main priority
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1-Addict wrote: »

Many thanks.
  • Ambient SheepAmbient Sheep Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1-Addict wrote: »
    Kevin Eason ‏@easonF1
    "Of course Sky are everywhere here. Even taking over the official FIA press conferences. We will be employed as extras next" - 6:00 AM - 17 Mar 13

Wow, that's quite brave, considering he writes for The Times (prop. R. Murdoch). Good for him, even if I don't necessarily agree with his complaint.
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »

I found Jake's matey style grating really anyway....almost as if they were trying to be the top gear crew on an adventure......

I think it was modelled on the TG method.
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »

Or the BBC could have done their final year and Ch4 could have taken over. But seems the beeb didnt want that, preferring to cling on for dear life, even if it meant viewers missing out.

Bernie even said he liked the Ch4 proposal, but said his hands were tied because he was still in contract with the beeb and it was too late in the year for Ch4 to take over in 2012.
This discussion has been closed.