Options

I cannot see how Dean can stay in the show (EE)?

tullochstullochs Posts: 947
Forum Member
✭✭
Once the locals have found out, and everyone outs him...how can he survive in the show?

Suppose you are the producer for EE, how would you write it in such a way that Dean can stay in the show, and long-term at that?

Comments

• Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tullochs wrote: »
    Once the locals have found out, and everyone outs him...how can he survive in the show?

Suppose you are the producer for EE, how would you write it in such a way that Dean can stay in the show, and long-term at that?

I don't either. I personally would like him to stay, he's an interesting and complex character and were already losing loads of young uns in the next few months.
    BUT- the social ostracisation would be a serious issue.

I personally dislike the accepted soap convention tht a rape is unforgivable, but a murder is ok as long as it was a "bad" person. No, all murder is unacceptable, just like rape.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    He may not get found out.

Only two people can say actually happened that night and both of them believe a conflicting series of events. It's going to be Linda's word against Dean's and so far the rumours and gossip are very much in Dean's favour, along with Shirley's convincing argument that she's lying to keep Mick after cheating on him.

If the police decide there's insufficient evidence, that just makes it more likely that people won't believe Linda. That is probably going to happen anyway since I don't believe there's any evidence left at all.

Of course, life on the square will be hard for Dean because either way, he'll never be allowed back into the main hub of social activity.
  • Options
    Imogen_GaleontiImogen_Galeonti Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Dean is still credited on Thursday 22nd and Friday 23rd. Maybe Shirley still doesn't believe Linda?
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on EE decide to do the story, do you want them to play the story how stories do and let them lock Dean up forever or do you want them to pan it out as close to real life as possible?

If it is as close to real life as possible then Dean should remain, 85,000 rapes occur per year a small fraction of those incidents are reported and of the reported incidents there is a very small conviction rate. EE are trying to show that normal men rape and that there are no where near 85,000 a year locked away for it, they are walking around amongst us. Also that many people commit rape and don't even realise what they have done.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Dean is still credited on Thursday 22nd and Friday 23rd. Maybe Shirley still doesn't believe Linda?

I get this really horrible feeling that she doesn't believe Linda, the problem is, if she continues to disbelieve Linda then it is going to ruin Shirley completely in the public's view and even though she didn't commit the rape, she will be considered as bad as Dean, because by that point she would have heard Linda's side and Linda will have gone to the police, told the kids etc...It will completely ostracise Shirley from the Carters and I don't see anyway back if she continues to believe Dean, even though I am aware that no mother would want to believe that of their son, this is a soap and Shirley could become irredeemable in the eyes of some fans if they keep her going down this road.. In the next week preview is says 'Will Mick ever forgive Shirley for her latest actions...', this doesn't sound good.

I can't see Dean ever admitting to it or even if he does, he won't admit it to the police, the case, according to DTC, doesn't go to court but I can't see that Dean would be sticking around indefinitely either. I am wondering when Dean will be departing and also when Buster will be returning, I don't see Dean leaving before Busters return. Inside Soap preview said there is a return in Week 3 but it appears it isn't Buster.

I know it is realistic as many rape attacks do go unpunished, EE isn't real life, I know as a soap is supposed to reflect real life the idea of Dean staying on the square with such close proximity to the woman he raped and his family who are aware of this (besides Shirley:cry:), seems nonsensical. And I can't see where they can take Dean from there. For some reason, because murder happens so often in soap, viewers seems to have become insensitive to it and therefore accept 'murderers' walking around free but rape is a more, touchy (not the right word, but you know what I mean) subject and I can't see many people being happy about Dean staying on the square. Also DTC did say there is a satisfying conclusion and for Dean to carry on living there, would not be a satisfying conclusion at all.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The balcony of Sharon's bar is waiting patiently waiting for some to topple over it...

There is NO WAY that balcony would have been built, without claiming any victims!;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think Dean's exit will be announced. I think it may be similar to Tosh in that we won't know until it airs. Anyone else?
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think prolonging Dean in EE is a good idea

Because not every rapist is instantly jailed, and not every rape is immediatley reported to the police.

It's not like Law and Order where a rape occurs and the rapist is caught, arrested and covnvicted within a week.

There needs to be some realism about it.
  • Options
    jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    I don't think Dean's exit will be announced. I think it may be similar to Tosh in that we won't know until it airs. Anyone else?
    That's what I think as well. EastEnders have denied Matt Di Angelo is leaving the show but I'm sure he will depart this year. Dean will never be welcomed in the Vic by Mick in future. He will also never be part of the family when Mick and Linda come back to the Square.
  • Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get this really horrible feeling that she doesn't believe Linda, the problem is, if she continues to disbelieve Linda then it is going to ruin Shirley completely in the public's view.

Ask yourself this...could you believe your own son was capable of rape?
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tullochs wrote: »

the only way he could stay is if people dont find out.............. not sure how people wont find out because people do gossip BUT if he isnt arrested or Linda doesnt go to the police and just wants to sweep it under the carpet (so to speak) that might pave the way for Dean to stay on the Square.........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ask yourself this...could you believe your own son was capable of rape?

Oh I completely see where Shirley is coming from. And I don't blame her for believing her son. I was talking about the other viewers, a lot of the public are against Shirley for supporting Dean while neglecting the fact that she doesn't know the truth. If Shirley continues to disbelieve Linda after Linda confesses everything to her in week 3, it will be risky for Shirley as a character regardless of how realistic it is.

I'm interested in how Shirley does eventually find out and show she will react as a mother. Have we ever seen the reaction of the parents of a rapist on screen before on EE?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jamesc_715 wrote: »
    That's what I think as well. EastEnders have denied Matt Di Angelo is leaving the show but I'm sure he will depart this year. Dean will never be welcomed in the Vic by Mick in future. He will also never be part of the family when Mick and Linda come back to the Square.

I remember the BBC's tweet said something along the lines of Matt is not leaving....this Autumn. Which to me suggests he will be leaving or they wouldn't have included 'this Autumn'. I don't think it would be possible for him to stay longterm after this anyway but it does seem like his exit will be kept quiet until it happens on screen. Now that Linda has involved the police, even without conviction, Dean is on borrowed time.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,274
    Forum Member
    Thing is, there is no evidence, Linda washed herself and got rid of the clothes, so it could just be his word agaist hers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He won't be convicted and obviously there is a lack of evidence but I imagine with Linda going to the police, even without a conviction, it will become common knowledge in the family and of course Stacey, Sharon, Elaine and Phil already know. Therefore I can't see Dean remaining on the square.
  • Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The public won't accept anything other than a Dean lynching/castration/murder

This of course while Ronnie can murder at will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The public won't accept anything other than a Dean lynching/castration/murder

This of course while Ronnie can murder at will.

Murder happens so often in soap now that viewers seem to be desensitized to it, it is ridiculous IMO.
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He won't be convicted and obviously there is a lack of evidence but I imagine with Linda going to the police, even without a conviction, it will become common knowledge in the family and of course Stacey, Sharon, Elaine and Phil already know. Therefore I can't see Dean remaining on the square.

I don't think Phil knows. He wasn't in the room when Linda told Elaine and Sharon was he?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think Phil knows. He wasn't in the room when Linda told Elaine and Sharon was he?

I thought he was just outside and assumed he had heard. He would know something was up after Shirley's outburst, I would imagine.
  • Options
    eejmeejm Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    Thing is, there is no evidence, Linda washed herself and got rid of the clothes, so it could just be his word agaist hers.

There is evidence if Dean is the father of Linda's baby. However, it's evidence that the two had sex but it's not necessarily evidence of rape.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    xTonix wrote: »

She hid her clothes in the wardrobe, we haven't seen her remove them yet. She was reluctant to let someone get something from there before Christmas so I assume they are still there.
  • Options
    eejmeejm Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    She hid her clothes in the wardrobe, we haven't seen her remove them yet. She was reluctant to let someone get something from there before Christmas so I assume they are still there.

I believe Linda threw out both the dress and the panties she was wearing.
  • Options
    allyred83allyred83 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Mental breakdown? He is slightly unhinged.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    allyred83 wrote: »
    Mental breakdown? He is slightly unhinged.

I think that's the only way he can stay.