24 without jack?

Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,112
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s9/24/news/a622298/fox-in-talks-to-bring-back-24-kiefer-sutherland-may-not-return.html

Would it work without him? A few years ago I would have said no but now I think if they get the right actor then it could continue although I would still like jack to make special guest appearances and it go back to 24 eps. Question is who would you have to replace kiefer? There was talk of yvonne strahovski who played kate in the last series doing her own missions. I think Idris elba could do it as well.

Comments

• paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    12/24 Episodes of Yvonne Strahovski - yes please! ;-)
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I hope not, after season 5, 24 just became generic and very stale.

I wish the TV and film industry would stop rehashing old ideas. Move on, show some originality.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoever 'replaced' Jack would be in a virtually impossible position, every single thing he or she did would be compared to what Jack did, even if the situation was barely comparable with some hair raising, life threatening, end of the world scenario that Jack dealt with so well.

The format is good, but it is just too associated with Jack Bauer.

No Jack, no 24.

And if Keifer doesn't want to do it well let it go.

And then see how long before Keifer Sutherland decides he'll do 'just one more'
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    JimothyD wrote: »
    I hope not, after season 5, 24 just became generic and very stale.

I wish the TV and film industry would stop rehashing old ideas. Move on, show some originality.

If people carry on watching shows and demanding them then of course they will carry on making it. If it's not broke etc etc.
  • PetingoPetingo Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be like Dallas after JR died.

24 without Jack?

What's the point.
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it could work with the right person as the lead.

Reading the interview it sounds like they are hoping he will take a year off and then come back. So potentially, the story could revolve around his rescue and just have him appear at the end.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Nah, Jack is 24 I think.
  • EiraEira Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the only way it could possibly work 'without Jack' is if you have Chloe and Tony or someone trying to rescue Jack, but I still think you'd need some Jack in it.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So here is my plot idea for the next season of 24.

Series begins on two fronts with CTU in America and Jack languishing in a Russian prison. CTU are dealing with chatter regarding some sort of homeland threat. They don’t realise they’re chasing a decoy threat designed to hide the real one.

Over in Russia a bearded & weak Jack is mocked by his captors and told what’s about to happen in the US. They figure he’s not going anywhere and like to twist the knife that he is helpless to stop it happening. But Jack being Jack.. he somehow manages to overpower his guards.. eventually escapes the prison he’s in.. walks on foot for a hundred miles or so through rough terrain to eventually reach a location he can phone CTU from.

They quickly put him in touch with assets in Russia. Jack spends a few episodes on the run with them inside Russia.. eventually seeing them get killed protecting him.. which he’s extremely sorry about and has trouble dealing with it. People always die when they’re around him remember. Eventually he manages to board a flight to the US with faked ID. Almost gets caught but the authorities only realise as the plane is taking off. They send up fighter jets and threaten to shoot down the plane but are intercepted by US jets and he makes it out in one piece.

Jack lands in the US, immediately goes to work. Becomes the bad guys worst enemy and kicks arse together with the regular CTU folks. Chloe of course included.

It's all a bit predictable but it could work. The important part would be the plot itself. It needs to be something meaningful rather than just another bunch of bad guys trying to do something bad. I'd like to see Charles Logan brought back into the mix. I know he was shot but I don't think they ever said he died.

Either way I don't think the show will work without Jack.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Likely not. When you think of 24, you associate it with Jack Bauer, who has become a memorable and well popular television character. To carry it on without him would be criminal. Or why don't they do a spin-off where it can get away with no Jack bauer?
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    24 without jack is like, iron man 4 without iron man, man of steel 2 without superman, mission impossible 5 without ethan hunt. Wont work without Jack
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

So you would waste around 12/24 hours of your life watching crap, just because it has a pretty (in your opinion) woman in it?

I didnt think she was that good in it.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    So you would waste around 12/24 hours of your life watching crap, just because it has a pretty (in your opinion) woman in it?

I didnt think she was that good in it.

Saw her in Chuck for 5 years - gives a much better idea as she was a lead rather than supporting actress.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, no, no. There is no 24 without Jack.
  • calderyoncalderyon Posts: 4,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, there is no 24 without Jack Bauer and Kiefer as the lead.
  • hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    Jeremy Renner would do it for me.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Yep :D Or Rachel Nichols, actually.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Jeremy Renner would do it for me.
    I wouldn't pick him but I see no reason why someone else couldn't take over the lead role. It could focus more on cyber warfare this time around with the team battling hackers and their sponsors both online and offline.