Australian Open on Eurosoprt

2»

Comments

• malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,161
    Forum Member
    Eurosport gives excellent and extensive coverage to this Grand Slam whereas the BBC has reduced coverage to one men's semi-final and both singles finals. Like you while I do not particularly like adverts I tend to favour Eurosport's coverage. I wish they had greater rights in their US Open coverage but I guess Sky with more money will always hold onto their rights.

Sky are happy to pay for the U.S. Open as the daytime games are UK evenings so prime viewing time. The Australian Open is much less valuable hence why Eurosport can get the rights as only the day games work for UK viewers and then it's mornings so not the best time for those to watch.
  • oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    For those of you who,like me,flatly refuse to pay any subscriptions the whole of the tournament has been available FREE TO AIR via just EUROSPORT on the Astra satellite at 19deg E frequency 12.226 H s/r 27.500 .
    The commentary is in German but who cares.
    Regards
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will you be watching the final with Andy Murray on BBC 1 HD or on British Eurosport HD.
    I have not fully decided what channel I will be watching it on. I don't always get up till after 9am on a Sunday but I will get up to watch it.
    Good luck to Andy Murray for tomorrow.

Darren
  • oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    ney wrote: »
    Will you be watching the final with Andy Murray on BBC 1 HD or on British Eurosport HD.
    I have not fully decided what channel I will be watching it on. I don't always get up till after 9am on a Sunday but I will get up to watch it.

Darren

For me it will be without a doubt BBC 1 HD !!!
    Regards
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »

Darren

I've already been watching what I can of the competition on Eurosport so I'm sticking with them for the men's final. Their coverage is great, their commentating team is actually on location and on this rare occasion I'm happy enough to put up with the ad breaks. I didn't even realise BBC were showing it.
  • The Great 208The Great 208 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how long Eurosport have been showing this slam live? I remember them showing it in the analogue days in the mid 9th although they could only show the morning session as they shared their transponder with a teleshopping channel. I think BSB showed a 2 hour highlights programme at 8pm at one stage.
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think Mats is a very good comm, and has showed it, in sets 1 and 3..
  • JudioJudio Posts: 11,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know how long Eurosport have been showing this slam live? I remember them showing it in the analogue days in the mid 9th although they could only show the morning session as they shared their transponder with a teleshopping channel. I think BSB showed a 2 hour highlights programme at 8pm at one stage.

The Aussie Open was on Eurosport before it became British

They showed the night session live at 08:00 and then followed it by re showing the day session during the day(without telling you the scores)

Then in about 2000 British Eurosport appeared on On Digital and they were the first to show live through the night from midnight

A couple of years later Eurosport International followed suit
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what BBC1 Scotland would have done if the match had gone to 5 sets and the tie breaker's as they had live coverage of Celtic v Rangers on from 1.30pm.
  • WhiskeymacWhiskeymac Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Groans here, watching the last set of the men's final on Eurosport youview recording. Reached the point where Federer broke to 5 up, then.....end of recording!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why?

Fortunately BBC's highlights of the game were already on catchup so we were able to watch the rest with the added benefit of John Lloyd commentating instead of the crass rubbish we had had to endure before
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,620
    Forum Member
    Whiskeymac wrote: »
    Groans here, watching the last set of the men's final on Eurosport youview recording. Reached the point where Federer broke to 5 up, then.....end of recording!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why?

Fortunately BBC's highlights of the game were already on catchup so we were able to watch the rest with the added benefit of John Lloyd commentating instead of the crass rubbish we had had to endure before

I enjoyed Eurosport's coverage; admittedly I didn't even know it was on the BBC :)

I seem to recall YouView doesn't reliably update the EPG on IP channels.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    mfr wrote: »
    I enjoyed Eurosport's coverage; admittedly I didn't even know it was on the BBC :)

It wasnt live on the BBC, only highlights.
  • JudioJudio Posts: 11,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they showed the whole of Set 5 so the poster could rewatch what was cut off
  • brundlebudbrundlebud Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mfr wrote: »

I seem to recall YouView doesn't reliably update the EPG on IP channels.

Eurosport doesn't reliably update its own EPG, so no surprises that others can't pick up on it!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    brundlebud wrote: »
    Eurosport doesn't reliably update its own EPG, so no surprises that others can't pick up on it!

Very true.

If I record a tennis match on ES, or a snooker final, I always set it to manually record, and add a few hours on to the end.